• Why can't I change the name of the folder?

Why can’t I change the name of the folder in pop-up menu, as in Xubuntu?
    alt text

alt text

• this is specific to you desktop, not antergos. You didn’t mention what desktop you are using. Second, in the screenshot, you aren’t changing the name of a folder, but the trash can. Not all desktops allow changing the name of the recycle-bin, trash, waste-bin, whatever. If you have a .desktop file in ~/Desktop (depends on your Desktop) for your trash can, you might be able to change the name in that file.

I also recommend that you move away from work flows that use icons on the desktop. Not only is this going to look cluttered, but its hard to access when you have multiple windows open. Obviously, you are free to choose, but be aware that as more people move away from the “desktop” paradigm (which dates back to the early 70s from Xerox), the support for such is also fading. Gnome’s support for desktop icons is pretty intermittent at the moment.

• I have Xfce. I want to change this strange name trash “Wasterbasket” for Trash.

• i don’t use xfce, and i don’t change system tools names, but maybe you can change the name using sudo with the mv command.

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• Here are 3 different methods that should work for you, but I don’t have XFCE installed right now to verify. I’ll list them in order starting with most difficult and most correct to less desireable solutions.

• Download the source to the XFCE and find the .po file for your language. Here is where you can change the names of things. It gets compiled into a format that is easiesr for the computer to access, but which you can’t edit easily. Recompile and install, optionally changing compilation options to customize for your system (such as -march=native).
    • An easier alternative is to turn off the Trash icon (I think you can in XFCE like you can in LXDE). Then create a trash.desktop file in your Desktop directory. Look up the format for this file or copy one of the many others on your system. Set the icon to be whatever trash can you like and whatever name you prefer. For the Exec line have it open “thunar trash:///” This won’t change the name in the file manager, only the icon, and will not have any fancy right-click options to Empty (not sure if XFCE does by default anyway).
    • Easiest solution … Install LXDE since it’s trash is already named “Trash” and not “Wastebasket” and its otherwise very similar. You’ll find LXDE to be smaller and slightly faster than XFCE, but lacking in a few features you may be used to.

Personally I use Gnome so I’m not promoting one desktop over another, but I keep LXDE around as an ultra-low-resource alternative for emergency use and testing.

• @uudruid74 said in Why can't I change the name of the folder?:

Here are 3 different methods that should work for you, but I don’t have XFCE installed right now to verify. I’ll list them in order starting with most difficult and most correct to less desireable solutions.

• Download the source to the XFCE and find the .po file for your language. Here is where you can change the names of things. It gets compiled into a format that is easiesr for the computer to access, but which you can’t edit easily. Recompile and install, optionally changing compilation options to customize for your system (such as -march=native).
    • An easier alternative is to turn off the Trash icon (I think you can in XFCE like you can in LXDE). Then create a trash.desktop file in your Desktop directory. Look up the format for this file or copy one of the many others on your system. Set the icon to be whatever trash can you like and whatever name you prefer. For the Exec line have it open “thunar trash:///” This won’t change the name in the file manager, only the icon, and will not have any fancy right-click options to Empty (not sure if XFCE does by default anyway).
    • Easiest solution … Install LXDE since it’s trash is already named “Trash” and not “Wastebasket” and its otherwise very similar. You’ll find LXDE to be smaller and slightly faster than XFCE, but lacking in a few features you may be used to.

Personally I use Gnome so I’m not promoting one desktop over another, but I keep LXDE around as an ultra-low-resource alternative for emergency use and testing.

I do not fully understand this long speech in English :(

• @fernandomaroto said in Why can't I change the name of the folder?:

i don’t use xfce, and i don’t change system tools names, but maybe you can change the name using sudo with the mv command.

I do not know this command mv.

• @marcello947 said in Why can't I change the name of the folder?:

@fernandomaroto said in Why can't I change the name of the folder?:

i don’t use xfce, and i don’t change system tools names, but maybe you can change the name using sudo with the mv command.

I do not know this command mv.

mv is one of the msot basic unix/linux commands.
    Its long name means move, and the NAME entry of the manual gives us this description:
    mv - move (rename) files

Note: To obtain manual pages on commands, just enter man <cmd>, e.g. man mv

folder9 Posts 8Views 731