• Change icon for the file manager?

I downloaded vertex maia icon set. I checked, it includes a few icons for the file manager but still that’s the only icon that doesn’t change. Why is that? How can I change it?

I changed the icons in gnome tweak tool. See at the far right next to trash? alt text

Using gnome 3.22.1.

• It’s because Gnome 3.22 has changed the icon names for Files (Nautilus) and Videos (Totem) for some reason.

The new name for the Files icon is org.gnome.Nautilus.svg
    and the name for the Videos icon is org.gnome.Totem.svg

You can either wait for the icon theme developers to release a new version including those icons, or you can change the names in the icon theme folder yourself.

The relevant icons are usually in the scalable apps subfolder, and you are probably best to make a copy of the Files icon, and then rename the copy to the above name (and the same for the Videos icon).

Then when you refresh the icon theme by changing to a different theme in the Gnome Tweak tool and then changing back, it will display the icon named ‘org.gnome.Nautilus.svg’ as the Files icon.

The path to the Numix Square icons for example is /usr/share/icons/Numix-Square/scalable/apps
    But you’ll know where you put the vertex maia set that you downloaded.

• You can also use alt+f2 and type “r” to refresh Nautilus and your icons :)

• @emptybox yes thanks that works. I don’t have totem but I have default video player. Fixed now it’s working.

@melkir I know about that one :)

• @emptybox Hi, I also have another icons missing such as weather, calendar, cheese… Where can I find the name that the icon is supposed to have after the update?
    Thanks

• Hi. Thanks for pointing those out. I hadn’t noticed those were missing as well. :)

Just use the same naming convention -
    org.gnome.[application name with initial capital].svg

So org.gnome.Cheese.svg, org.gnome.Weather.svg and org.gnome.Calendar.svg.

Same for any other missing icons.

• I’m really sorry to post in a solved topic, but this is driving me nuts.

I’ve been all the day with the same problem and your solution doesn’t seem to work, if you see the image, the root version of the explorer does recognize the icon but the regular one doesn’t.
    0_1476986039250_Screenshot from 2016-10-20 19-48-42.png
    (All these icons are in their respective size-sorted folders inside the theme folder)

Am I missing something? Also, if I go to the /usr/shared/applications/ folder the icon that I see there is different if I visit the folder through the regular nautilus or sudo nautilus.
    0_1476986334675_Screenshot from 2016-10-20 19-56-58.png

Needless to say that I’m a newbie. Usually I find my way just googling and reading but time i had to ask.

• @Rzro said in Change icon for the file manager?:

I’ve been all the day with the same problem and your solution doesn’t seem to work,

Just try: Alt+F2 > type “r” (without " > Enter

Does this solve the problem?

• @fnc Nope, already tried to reload. Also changing the theme several times (even rebooting every time I made a change)

• If you go into a terminal and type: more /usr/share/applications/org.gnome.Nautilus.desktop, what’s the icon filename there?

• @fnc org.gnome.Nautilus (just as they stated in the firsts posts)

• @Rzro said in Change icon for the file manager?:

I’m really sorry to post in a solved topic, but this is driving me nuts.

I’ve been all the day with the same problem and your solution doesn’t seem to work, if you see the image, the root version of the explorer does recognize the icon but the regular one doesn’t.
    0_1476986039250_Screenshot from 2016-10-20 19-48-42.png
    (All these icons are in their respective size-sorted folders inside the theme folder)

Am I missing something? Also, if I go to the /usr/shared/applications/ folder the icon that I see there is different if I visit the folder through the regular nautilus or sudo nautilus.
    0_1476986334675_Screenshot from 2016-10-20 19-56-58.png

Needless to say that I’m a newbie. Usually I find my way just googling and reading but time i had to ask.

That’s strange, because it’s the opposite for me. The regular Nautilus has the icon from my chosen set, but open Nautilus as root and it has the default gnome icon.
    In fact Nautilus opened as root only uses the default icon set, so are you sure you’re not mixing the two up?

Interestingly, when I go into /usr/share/applications I don’t have an icon for Nautilus only the one for Files. And regular Nautilus/Files sees the correct icon and root Nautilus sees the gnome default icon.

So unless you are mixing them up as I said earlier, I can’t really offer any solution. Except to say that I’ve noticed some icon sets use 'org.gnome.Nautilus.png rather than .svg. So perhaps make sure you have an icon of that name as well, and see if it makes a difference.

I’m no expert myself BTW, I just googled for the solution and thought I’d share for the benefit of others. :D

• Same here. Emptybox’ workaround had no effect until I moved the icon directory from /usr/share/icons to ~/.icons. That did it. Got my theme Nautilus icon back.

• Nevermind guys, reinstalled both nautilus and the icon theme (this time from github) and everything looks great. Funny way to waste a day, I even learned a little bit.

Thank you all! :smiley:

• @chrisflr said in Change icon for the file manager?:

Same here. Emptybox’ workaround had no effect until I moved the icon directory from /usr/share/icons to ~/.icons. That did it. Got my theme Nautilus icon back.
    HIDE PREVIEW

Are you sure you were opening Nautilus as root or renaming the icon using terminal commands as root?
    You can’t paste, delete or rename files using ordinary Nautilus, other than in your Home folder.

I just did an experiment and changed to the Numix Square icons, which are in /usr/share/icons and using Nautilus as root I was able to renme the nautilus icon to org.gnome.Nautilus.svg, and it worked perfectly after a refresh.

• @emptybox said in Change icon for the file manager?:

Are you sure you were opening Nautilus as root or renaming the icon using terminal commands as root?

Yes, I did that as root and that worked on my Sony but not my Lenovo. On that one I had to move the clarity icons folder to ~/.icons

• I just got an Antergos update to the Numix Square icons that baulked because of the Nautilus icon I had made.

No idea why it couldn’t just copy over the top of it? :unamused:
    But anyway just going in and deleting the icon or icons it is having trouble with solves the problem.
    In my case it was org.gnome.Nautilus.svg in the 48x48/apps folder.

I doubt if Antergos will update any of your other icon sets, so it’ll likely only affect the Numix icons.

• @emptybox Exactly the same happened to me. The weird thing is that I haven’t change that icon, I’ve only touched the icons in the scalable folder.

• @fnc said in Change icon for the file manager?:

@emptybox Exactly the same happened to me. The weird thing is that I haven’t change that icon, I’ve only touched the icons in the scalable folder.

Same here, but I think the one in the 48x48 folder must be a shortcut from the scalable folder?
    No idea why the update had a problem with that one, and couldn’t just copy over the top of it?
    I assumed that would be what happened when I posted my ‘solution’. :innocent: :laughing:

manager41 icon26 Posts 19Views 2147