• When will the new kernel 4.8.1 be available?

When in repo will the new kernel 4.8.1? Manjaro in his repo already has this version
    alt text
    I would like to update the kernel. It is said that Antergos is always the most fresh packages…

• @marcello947 Antergos have nothing to do with this.
    Please refer to the arch linux package:
    https://www.archlinux.org/packages/?name=linux
    As you can see it’s actually in the testing repository

• Until now 4.8.x brought nothing but infinite troubles.

• @marcello947 said

would like to update the kernel

Bear in mind that running a new kernel doesn t offer you much unless you are running a very new hardware or there are bugs that haven t been fixed. So, don t worry.

It is said that Antergos is always the most fresh packages…

Antergos uses Arch Linux repos. It is actually Arch Linux installed via GUI plus some preconfigurations concerning its looks and pre-installed programms. So, whatever happens to Arch, also applies for Antergos. Don t confuse it with Manjaro which has taken its steps away from Arch

As already said, 4.8 is buggy. Linus is mad with this mistake, haven t you hearded it?
    “I’m really sorry I applied that last series from Andrew just before doing the 4.8 release, because they cause problems, and now it is in 4.8 (and that buggy crap is marked for stable too).”
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/10/05/linus_torvalds_admits_buggy_crap_made_it_into_linux_48/

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• I pray that 4.8 arrival will be delayed for as long as possible.

• :satisfied: hahaha
    If your system is working fine using almost the last kernell’s versions there is no great reason for changing it, at least not until you know the next version is as stable as the currently used.

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• Is it just in Arch that the 4.8 kernel is buggy?
    Because I see that Ubuntu 16.10 shipped with 4.8.0.22.

• 4.8 is buggy, for everyone
    did you see the link @melkir sent?
    Arch/Antergos use stable kernels, and 4.8 is still under test.
    For now 4.7… is the standard.
    Don’t worry about kernels, if you’re like me: i’m still learning gnu/linux stuff and i have another things to learn and test.

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• Thanks guys for an explanation. I didn’t know about these bugs of this version kernel.

• @anarch
    Are those bugs fixed in 4.8.2 which came out today? Is it safe to upgrade?

• I installed 4.8.2 on my Dell XPS 13 (9343) and got kernel crashes. Now back to 4.7.6. So I suggest not to install it…

• I installed 4.8.2 and dkms did not compile zfs kernel modules any more…:cry:
    Im searching a fix right now, any solution will be posted at https://forum.antergos.com/topic/5228/dkms-build-of-zfs-and-spl-kernel-modules-fails-after-kernel-update/4 .

• @Shadowdodger said:

@anarch
    Are those bugs fixed in 4.8.2 which came out today? Is it safe to upgrade?

My own preference is running the lts kernel. I can t see any reason to use the current kernel for my oldish, conservative, business class laptop (see signature).
    So, I do all kernel upgrades, give a short try the current one to see if it works ok, but then, I switch over to the lts again…

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• Upgraded to 4.8.2-1 yesterday, and all seems to work just fine. I have no special settings and use ext4 format.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 3.1GHz

Never to old to learn.

• @axioma me too, not any problem after upgrading yesterday :-)

1.Antergos Linux Gnome / Open Box, Toshiba Satellite Pro, Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 1954 MiB ‖ Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

Fer

• It seems that my problems were related with the bloody broadcom wlan driver… (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/broadcom-wl-dkms/?comments=all)

After I upgraded to broadcom-wl-dkms 6.30.223.271-10, the kernel upgrade worked fine.

• @ferthelet said in When will the new kernel 4.8.1 be available?:

@axioma me too, not any problem after upgrading yesterday :-)
    how to you upgrate the kernel in Antergos?

• my personal experience is New kernels is not stable, some version do some you see if mostly after 2 point updates mostly stable to use for me… i have always linux-lts beside it…

• i think Arch always does a good job of testing. ive never had an issue that i can remember. i just wait on Arch to roll it down the line.

• Meanwhile we are at version 4.8.3-1. I would propose to consider this question as solved. :)

Never to old to learn.

4.8.11 kernel76 Posts 24Views 3059