• How often updates breaks the system?

Hi there,

I’m using Linux for several years now. Started with Ubuntu and switched to Xubuntu because I don’t like Unity. At the moment I’m testing Antergos in a VM and I’m very impressed. But unfortunately I ran in my first broken system and the login screen doesn’t work anymore. In the forum is a workaround and it works but how often can those damaged systems happen? I need a stable system, a regularly not working system doesn’t meet my needs.

How stable is Antergos (Arch) and do you make regularly images / backups before you update? Or is there another way to avoid bad updates?

• Arch is the most stable system in my experience. I have 4 Arch installations that run since 2010.

Everything else breaks. Debian Testing, Fedora, Tumbleweed (openSUSE), Gentoo.

Arch requires certain skills and knowledge to reward a user with extreme stability. They are not given by Antergos. I was able to install my first Arch after learning it, and Linux in general, for 2 (two) years. Antergos, Apricity, Bluestar give a false impression that managing Arch is an easy task. The right learning path would be from Arch to Antergos, IMO. Not vice versa.

Only Debian Stable is as stable as Arch. But Arch changes daily. Debian Stable doesn’t change for years.

• If you need a distro stable without unity, you probably need ubuntu without unity. A " rolling-release " distro has a lot of advantages but some inconvenients too. The updates are getting out quickly. For me it’s a go but for others it may be a no-go.

Me too I like to test distro on a VM or live CD before installing on hard drive but it is quite different when you need to push the update button. No snapshot revert … :)

• I ve been using Antergos for almost 3 years and my experience is exactly like @just s.
    I only experience (very rarely though) occasional problems with AUR packages, but is equivalent to ppas not working for some short period of time. I have never had any issues with the OS itself.The only complaint is lightdm. Which keeps giving trouble (easily fixed with easy workarounds) with every new Gnome release. My own fix is to simply remove lightdm and use gdm instead. For someone using a non gnome-based GTK3 DE using its native DM would be a solution.

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• I just started using Antergos recently. I’ve been using various official flavors of Ubuntu Linux for four years and prior to that I had no technical experience at all.
    I have had my Ubuntus(LTS) throw bugs and have small glitches. I was able to fix all with forum, doc help. So far, my experience with Antergos(Arch) has been the same. Very good documentation and friendly, helpful forums. @just helped me solved a minor new user problems. So far, I’ve had no more breakage than with LTS installs.
    My only complaint is the use of lightdm with my Plasma desktop. I’d like to learn how to install and use SDDM instead of lightdm as I highly prefer to use as pure a KDE experience as possible.

• @Orlet said

My only complaint is the use of lightdm with my Plasma desktop. I’d like to learn how to install and use SDDM instead of lightdm

Please, always open a new topic and don t hesitate to ask. All you have to do, is:

sudo pacman -Syu
    sudo pacman -S sddm sddm-kcm
    sudo systemctl disable lightdm
    sudo systemctl stop lightdm
    sudo systemctl enable sddm.service -f
    sudo reboot
    ``

Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500

• @Orlet said in How often updates breaks the system?:

My only complaint is the use of lightdm with my Plasma desktop. I’d like to learn how to install and use SDDM instead of lightdm as I highly prefer to use as pure a KDE experience as possible.

Just want to point out that SDDM is no closer to being a KDE application than LightDM is. Neither are KDE applications. The KDE developers simply decided on SDDM as their recommended default. That doesn’t mean SDDM is more compatible with KDE than LightDM. IJS :wink:

Welcome to Antergos, btw :smiley:

• @anarch
    Thanks for the tip. I’ll remember about new topics.

• You re welcome! And welcome to Antergos
    Keep smiling:+1:

• Been using Antergos after trying many other distros now for well over a year. My conclusion is Antergos + Gnome is pretty much bullet proof reliable but I still backup using Deja Dup before updating each week.

• Okay thank you for your answers, it’s nice to hear that Antergos (Arch) is a good stable system. I will test it further and if I don’t run in trouble I will switch to Antergos.

• I was first introduced to Linux on the Atari MiNT mailing list, which I read on a public-access Unix system (AT&T 3B2 running Sys3 Unix!). At the time, I didn’t have x86 hardware and Linux needed an MMU which my 68K-based Atari system didn’t have. I ended up installing it at work to see how it performed compared to the SCO Unix system we used there. It was one of the early Slackware systems on the Walnut Creek CDROM (still organized as floppies on the CDROM). I eventually used Redhat on some of our non-critical servers (95 or 96 I think) and my work desktop. I tried Mandrake and Suse on my new x86 laptop (refuse to use DOS/Windows). I used Gentoo for awhile, but it went downhill when Drobbins left. His new project, Funtoo is really great!

I found Ubuntoo to be horribly commercial and the idea that I couldn’t get to all my apps without a using a search that sent my search results to Amazon so it could show me ads just pissed me off. And the software center wanted to charge me money for open-source themes! I’ve also run Linux on embedded devices (including Sharp’s old Linux PDA), some Sun servers and workstations (including my dual-CPU SUN E400 with a PC graphics card and USB keyboard/mouse running Gentoo and reiserfs - they said it couldn’t be done!) , SGI Irix machines, and even a NeXT Workstation!

in all that time, I have found “dependancy hell” to be alive and real, and only solved by rolling release distributions. Most binary distros require 12 different conflicting repos to find that app you really need, or you have to compile yourself and first install 1000 header packages that should have been installed from the beginning! But, the source-based rolling-releasers meant that my laptop spent too many hours compiling. It’s a laptop, not a compile farm! Gentoo often left me twiddling with portage more often than using linux for real-work. Sabayon promised Gentoo without the compile, but the user-base is too small and updates were often buggy and things didn’t work as well as I hoped.

Antergos benefits from the massive Arch userbase without the pain of a manual install and configuration. I can get it installed in a snap (with a pretty decent installer - Sabayon uses Fedora’s and it’s really buggy) and it runs really well. Updates rarely break anything. Most software is in the default repos and AUR seems to have nearly everything else with very little install pain. Antergos is currently my most recommended Linux distro for those that just want to get something done rather than earn an IT degree by doing it all by hand (for that, try Funtoo!).

• ive used over the years Ubuntu, Manjaro, Crunchbang, Linux Mint

Antergos and Crunchbang have been the most stable. Manjaro was probably the the least stable of all those.

updates38 system73 breaks15 Posts 13Views 2454