The issue is caused by the package webkit2gtk and is due to the recent update from the GNOME 3.22 stack release.
Due to webkit2gtk being upgraded from 2.12.5 to 2.14.x this has caused an issue with LightDM’s webkit greeter. If you were to downgrade your package back to 2.12.5 then that will temporarily solve the issue until the LightDM team or the GNOME team can create a permanent solution for this.
I suggest downloading and installing webkit2gtk 2.12.5 and just waiting until the solutions is released before upgrading that package.
Steps to Fix:
- The following video demonstrates a messy workaround to login that will allow you to complete the rest of the steps.
- Download previous version, if you dont have it in your pacman cache.
- Install the package via pacman. The following command assumes that you downloaded the package to your /home folder. If you place it somewhere else such as Downloads then add “~/Downloads/” before the filename.
- sudo pacman -U webkit2gtk-2.12.5-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
- Add webkit3gtk to your IgnorePkg list . . . this is just until a fix is made.
- sudo nano /etc/pacman.conf (or use whatever editor you want)
- add webkit2gtk to the list after = sign.