• Error encounter with upgrade

I issued an upgrade command in the terminal and encountered an error parsing a package.

"sudo pacman -Syu
    :: Synchronizing package databases...
     antergos is up to date
     core is up to date
     extra is up to date
     community is up to date
     multilib is up to date
    :: Starting full system upgrade...
    error: could not parse package description file 'ttf-myanmar3-20110120-1/desc' from db 'antergos'
     there is nothing to do"

I’m unsure what "could not parse package file…"means. the file appears to be a script for Myanmar/Burmese font. I don’t know if this error interferes with the system update or if/how I should resolve the error. Any help is appreciated.

• @Orlet said in Error encounter with upgrade:

:: Starting full system upgrade…
    error: could not parse package description file ‘ttf-myanmar3-20110120-1/desc’ from db ‘antergos’

Don’t know what the error is, but I’d try to:

• first, update mirrorlist

sudo reflector --age 8 --fastest 128 --latest 64 --number 32 --sort rate --save /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist && sync

• and then upgrade, forcing repos databases update, with

yaourt -Syyua && sync

• Oops, didn’t notice that ttf-myanmar3 comes from [antergos] repo. Rebuilding mirrorlist with reflector doesn’t help in this case. Reflector analyzes standard Arch mirrors only.

For [antergos] mirrors, try to change the servers order by hand, by editing the /etc/pacman.d/antergos-mirrorlist file.

Then run an upgrade, always forcing repos databases update.

• @just
    Sorry for the delay. I now have:
    "sudo pacman -Syu
    [sudo] password for david:
    :: Synchronizing package databases…
    antergos is up to date
    core is up to date
    extra is up to date
    community is up to date
    multilib is up to date
    :: Starting full system upgrade…
    error: could not parse package description file ‘ttf-myanmar3-20110120-1/desc’ from db 'antergos’
    error: could not parse package description file ‘zita-convolver-3.1.0-3/desc’ from db 'community’
    there is nothing to do"
    For the [antergos] repo do I simply move up by hand the servers I want to the top of the ‘Manual Mirror Selection’ leaving the the rest as is and the ‘Automated Mirror Selection’ choices uncommented ? Or do I comment out the ‘Automated Mirror Selection’? Then run upgrade?
    The new error from today [db ‘community’] is this also from the [antergos] repo? If not, where can I find it in order to update it?

• Please, do what has been suggested to do.

Your repos databases seem to be out of sync. For now, the goal is not to upgrade the system but to rebuild these databases.

It’s not enough to just run

sudo pacman -Syu

as you did. Instead, please run

sudo pacman -Syyu

Alternatively, you may run

sudo pacman -Scc  <-- explicitely reply with y to all questions
    sudo pacman -Syu

The final result may depend on physical mirorrs order in /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist and /etc/pacman.d/antergos-mirrorlist.

Reflector is the best tool to optimize the first one. Please, run it - because even [community] returns an error for you now.

You may reorder the mirrors in antergos-mirrorlist by hand as you wish.

In Manual Mirror Selection you indicate a physical server/mirror to use.

In Automated Mirror Selection a physical server/mirror is choosen for you either by antergos.com or by sourceforge.net. Not by you.

• @just
    Solved!!
    I read up on each of the commands you recommended so that I understood what I was doing.

First, I made backups of the mirrorlist and antergos-mirrorlist files. I then install reflector and issued the reflector command as you recommended, then forced repo database update. I manually reordered the mirrors in antergos-mirrors, putting all the USA servers at the top since I’m in NA. I then issued ‘sudo pacman -Syyu’ and got a beautiful and error free system upgrade…now to to figure a way to autoupdate the mirrorlist on boot up.

I recently switched from Ubuntu to Antergos (Arch) because I wanted to do more/learn more so this is great-Antergos is a great community. I appreciate your patient help with this problem.

• @Orlet It’s very nice to wake up in the morning and read such a feedback. It charges with a positive energy for the whole day :) . Thank you.

I’ll mark the topic as [Solved], if you agree.

• @Orlet said in Error encounter with upgrade:

…now to to figure a way to autoupdate the mirrorlist on boot up.

It’s not strictly neccessary. Personally, I do it only when/if I notice that the pacman-mirrorlist package gets an upgrade.

Then, the first thing I do when Arch starts up here, is to open the terminal and fire up the command rd. It’s the alias, and stands for refresh distro. I defined it in ~/.bashrc as:

alias rd='sudo reflector --age 8 --fastest 128 --latest 64 --number 32 --sort rate --save /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist && yaourt -Syyua && sync && sudo pacman -Scc && sync'

It:

• optimizes mirrorlist (but not antergos-mirrorlist)
    • unconditionally forces databases update for all repos
    • upgrades all packages from standard Antergos repos and from AUR
    • fully cleans pacman’s cache from all packages (risky but saves a lot of disk space)
    • syncronizes all changes to hard disks, leaving the computer ready for immediate shut down upon rd termination

There’s a bunch of other funny aliases I’ve invented with time, but it would be a subject for another topic.

• @just
    Thanks for the reply. I need to learn a lot more…like how to tell when the mirrorlists get updated and more about this rd command. I assume you create an executable (on start up) file in /home. I don’t need to clean pacman’s cache. I have a lot of drive space and I need to learn how to downgrade packages since downgrading isn’t really done in Debian-based system, which my background until now.

Once I’m confident I can manage an Arch system, I’ll install Antergos on the rest of my machines.

I’d mark this thread as solved but I’m unsure of how…please feel free to mark as solved.

upgrade42 error198 encounter2 Posts 9Views 1509