• Like 0

How can I upgrade kernel to new version?

Hi. How can I upgrade kernel to 4.8 version? I tried to command:

pacman -Ss linux | grep basis

and

pacman -S linux

It shows the current kernel (4.7.6) to install, but not new (version 4.8).

• Like 1

sudo pacman -Syyu will force a mirror sync and look for updates for all packages including the kernel on your machine.

4.8 is currently in testing: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/testing/x86_64/linux/

We do not hold back or edit packages.

I7 [email protected]/32GB Ram/3440 x 1440 + 1440p/EVGA 1080 FTW/512GB SSD/2TB HD/Antergos Base w/ Plasma

• Like 0
    This post is deleted!
  • Like 0

however, manjaro has a better GUI tool (manjaro-settings-manager) for updating the kernel. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-o2gY28OJPlE/VMETDC5SicI/AAAAAAAAAaM/o3wgcc1IdjI/s1600/snapshot1.png

• Like 1

the link was just a story on the latest kernel.

Antergos doesnt work like Manjaro. we roll right along with the Arch repos :+1:

• Like 0

antergos is more difficult to use than manjaro :(

• Like 1

@marcello947 said in How can I upgrade kernel to new version?:

however, manjaro has a better GUI tool (manjaro-settings-manager) for updating the kernel. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-o2gY28OJPlE/VMETDC5SicI/AAAAAAAAAaM/o3wgcc1IdjI/s1600/snapshot1.png

We don’t support multiple kernel versions (meaning multiple versions of the same kernel variation—examples of variations core (default), LTS, Zen, CK, etc) Just like Arch, only the latest version of each variation is supported. So there is no need for a GUI to change kernels because there is only one version of each available. That is in contrast to Manjaro which makes several versions of the same kernel variation available. I personally dont see the benefit of that, but obviously some do :wink:

• Like 0

Well, in fact you always have two versions available (which is really useful):
    linux and linux-lts

‘linux’ will always be the latest one available, while ‘linux-lts’ will be an older version. This is useful if you experience some hardware issue with the newest one.

But yes, I don’t see why you would want that miriad of kernel versions available ¿?

Cheers!

• Like 0

…How can I upgrade kernel to 4.8 version?..

• enable [testing] repo
    • run an upgrade

Easier than in Manjaro IMO.

[testing] has linux 4.8-1 currently.

• Like 0

I am new user in Linux. I don’t know the world of linux. How can I enable testing repo?

• Like 0

…How can I enable testing repo?

Do not do that. Especially if you’re new to Linux. Especially if you’re using Arch. [testing] is for experienced Arch users only.

If you still want to do it, then:

• uncomment it in the /etc/pacman.conf
    • place it above the [core] repo
  • Like 0
    This post is deleted!
kernel56 upgrade31 Posts 13Views 1252