• External hard disk not listed anymore

Hi and thx for reading. When I first installed Antergos, my internet service provider box (who has a hard disk) showed spontaneously in thr file explorer. I could move/paste/erase files on it - as should be nornally the case. It always appeared in the explorer when I switched the laptop on. Today, for no apparent reason, it is not listed anymore. Maybe due to some upgrades? I have no clue, but maybe some of you have some good advise? Thx in advance for your precious help.

• I always check these two things in terminal first if nothing pops up in the file manager:

dmesg

right after you have plugged it in might list some error messages (like problems reading, mounting etc.)

lsusb

lists attached USB devices, no matter if they are actually mounted or used , so it can at least tell you if the system knows about the drive

• Thanx Tiedemann, I don’t understand the endless log coming out of dmesg and the hard disk I am mentioning is not a USB. It is the hard disk of a router connected via HDMI. Does that help?

• @longliveantergos said in External hard disk not listed anymore:

Thanx Tiedemann, I don’t understand the endless log coming out of dmesg and the hard disk I am mentioning is not a USB. It is the hard disk of a router connected via HDMI. Does that help?

You can always copy/paste the log/error messages to pastebin or something similar and link it here. Might be others here who have some input too.

But anyway: I have no clue how you have your stuff hooked up. You say your router is connected via HDMI but I fail to see how that could give you access to the hard drive on the computer. Or do you just mean that it is hooked up to the TV via HDMI?

If it is over ethernet or wifi (that the hdd is shared by your box) then the question is if you can browse to it under network in the file manager. I don’t know if you did that the first time, as it will then automatically pop up in the file manager every time you start it as long as you don’t restart the computer. That is at least how it work on my FreeNAS shares, as I have only two shares automatically mounted via fstab on one computer, the rest I access when needed from other machines.

• Sorry Tiedemann, I am afraid I do not have enough knowledge to be precise enough. Yes, the router is linked to the TV via HDMI and the computer to the router via ethernet. When I installed Antergos, the router’s hard disk spontaneously popped up in the file explorer , without asking for any kind of configuration, and I was able to access it. Now it does not show anymore. Should I send the log I get from dmesg?

• Hi,

I’m afraid dmesg will not help here. I’d say that your router is sharing the hard disk files using SMB protocol (SAMBA).

What I don’t know is why it does not show anymore.

Are you using Gnome? Check that you have the gvfs-smb and cifs-utils packages:
    sudo pacman -S gvfs-smb cifs-utils

To do some tests, install smbclient:
    sudo pacman -S smbclient

Scan your network:
    smbtree -b -N

Your share should appear, now you should be able to use nautilus (the file manager) to navigate to it.

Full info here:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/samba

Cheers!

• Thx very much karasu - I check that asap and get back to you.

• @karasu I did everything you mention. gvfs-smb and cifs-utils were installed, so was smbclient - The networkscan gave no result. Log below

sudo pacman -S gvfs-smb cifs-utils
    [sudo] Mot de passe de bob : 
    avertissement : gvfs-smb-1.28.3-1 est à jour -- réinstalle
    avertissement : cifs-utils-6.5-1 est à jour -- réinstalle
    résolution des dépendances...
    recherche des conflits entre paquets...

Paquets (2) cifs-utils-6.5-1  gvfs-smb-1.28.3-1

Taille totale installée :     0,21 MiB
    Taille de mise à jour nette :  0,00 MiB

:: Procéder à l’installation ? [O/n] o
    (2/2) vérification des clés dans le trousseau      [######################] 100%
    (2/2) vérification de l’intégrité des paquets      [######################] 100%
    (2/2) chargement des fichiers des paquets          [######################] 100%
    (2/2) analyse des conflits entre fichiers          [######################] 100%
    (2/2) vérification de l’espace disque disponible   [######################] 100%
    :: Traitement des changements du paquet...
    (1/2) réinstallation cifs-utils                    [######################] 100%
    (2/2) réinstallation gvfs-smb                      [######################] 100%
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5EglFsKmsSupport.so est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5Widgets.so.5.7 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5DBus.so.5.7.0 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5Network.so.5.7 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5Sql.so.5 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5Xml.so.5 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5Core.so est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5EglFsKmsSupport.so.5.7 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5Test.so est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5Network.so est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5EglDeviceIntegration.so est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5Test.so.5.7.0 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5EglFsKmsSupport.so.5.7.0 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5Gui.so est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5Core.so.5.7 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5Gui.so.5.7.0 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5Concurrent.so est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5Concurrent.so.5.7.0 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5PrintSupport.so.5.7 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5Test.so.5.7 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5Core.so.5 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5Test.so.5 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5Concurrent.so.5 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5PrintSupport.so.5 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5DBus.so.5 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5XcbQpa.so est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5Concurrent.so.5.7 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5Xml.so est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5Core.so.5.7.0 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5OpenGL.so.5.7.0 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5Network.so.5.7.0 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5Gui.so.5 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5Widgets.so.5 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5Xml.so.5.7.0 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5XcbQpa.so.5.7 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5EglDeviceIntegration.so.5.7.0 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5Widgets.so.5.7.0 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5XcbQpa.so.5 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5PrintSupport.so.5.7.0 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5OpenGL.so.5 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5Xml.so.5.7 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5DBus.so.5.7 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5DBus.so est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5Sql.so.5.7 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5PrintSupport.so est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5EglDeviceIntegration.so.5 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5Widgets.so est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5OpenGL.so.5.7 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5EglFsKmsSupport.so.5 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5Sql.so est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5OpenGL.so est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5Sql.so.5.7.0 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5XcbQpa.so.5.7.0 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5Gui.so.5.7 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5EglDeviceIntegration.so.5.7 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    ldconfig: Fichier /usr/lib/libQt5Network.so.5 est vide, n'a pas été vérifié.
    :: Exécution des crochets de post-transaction...
    (1/2) Compiling GSettings XML schema files...
    (2/2) Reloading GVFS config...
    [[email protected] ~]$ smbtree -b -N
    [[email protected] ~]$ 

Sorry, it is in French - “est vide, n’a pas été vérifié” means “is empty, was not verified”. When typing smbtree -b -N nothing seems to happen.

Maybe I misunderstood something?

• @longliveantergos It looks that something is wrong with qt5.

What do you get when you try this?
    sudo pacman -S qt5-base

If you get the same, it might sound dumb, but you can try to uninstall and install it again:

sudo pacman -Rs qt5-base
    sudo pacman -S qt5-base

Be careful, as the -Rs will remove qt5 and all its dependencies (if they are not needed by any other package). Check what will be removed before saying yes.

• @karasu Ok, thx. And what should I not remove, please?

• Hi,

I can’t tell you what not to remove without seeing what will be removed.

Do not worry, simply check out that all what is removed is installed again with sudo pacman -S qt5-base

You have the pacman log in /var/log/pacman.log There you will be able to check what has been removed and what has been installed.

I do not recall if you’re using KDE Plasma or not. If not, there’s nothing to worry, as the worst it could happen is that some qt app will not work anymore, but you’ll be able to fix easely it by reinstalling it.

Hope this helps.

• Would be helpfull to get info about the “BOX” with the harddisk… Company/TYPE number e.t.c.

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    http://kamprad.net/howto-installing-antergos/
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/1883/how-to-include-system-logs-when-asking-for-help

• @joekamprad I can look this up but remember: this hard disk was spontaneously listed in the file explorer after the initial Antergos installation. It is not something I had to configure. It appeared by default.

• @longliveantergos I understand this fact, but to find a solution, it will be helpfull to see in wich way your Box is offering the share of his hd…

https://forum.antergos.com/topic/1883/how-to-include-system-logs-when-asking-for-help

• @joekamprad My son has the exact same version of antergos on his laptop and the HD I mention shows immediately in nautilus. I copied his samba.conf file - the HD still does not show in my nautilus… I don’t get it.

• @karasu Thx, I did all this and it changed nothing. My son has the exact same version of antergos on his laptop and the HD I mention shows immediately in nautilus. I copied his samba.conf file - the HD still does not show in my nautilus.

• Samba is allways a hussle on linux;) If you provide details about the Hardware with the HD, i can see if there is another way to get access to it…

• SOLVED - Thx to all of you for your support. I randomly typed the URL of the HD at the bottom of nautilus, once more after dozens of attempts without success - and the HD mounted. It works again, but I’d be hard pressed to tell you why. Thx again.

• smb://url ?
    sftp://url?

nautilus-server-add

disk4 external5 listed3 anymore7 Posts 20Views 1324