• Cant mount old NTFS drive from Windows computer...

Hey, I have an old NTFS drive from my gaming desktop that has pretty much all of my data on it. I wan’t to access it so I can start tidying it up and whatnot. I’m using KDE and when I try to mount the drive in Dolphin, it gives me:

An error occurred while accessing ‘Home’, the system responded: The requested operation has failed: Error mounting /dev/sdd2 at /run/media/alexc/0C421D52421D41BE: Command-line `mount -t “ntfs” -o “uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=100” “/dev/sdd2” “/run/media/alexc/0C421D52421D41BE”’ exited with non-zero exit status 14: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
    Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount.
    Failed to mount ‘/dev/sdd2’: Operation not permitted
    The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown
    Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume
    read-only with the ‘ro’ mount option.

I’ve tinkered with things a fair bit and in a previous Antergos installation (which I ended up breaking) and I was at least able to grab an .iso file I was trying to get, but still couldn’t properly get the drive to mount (or mount on boot). A lot of guides I found either weren’t working for me or I just wasn’t grasping what they were telling me to do. I’m going to see if I can at least grab that .iso again, but I’d appreciate any help I could get from you guys in the event I still can’t figure it out.

I should note that I’ve successfully gotten Antergos to mount the rest of my (“non-windows/ntfs”) disks on boot without any apparent issue.

• http://askubuntu.com/questions/462381/cant-mount-ntfs-drive-the-disk-contains-an-unclean-file-system

I had a friend of mine using something like that a while ago. He wrecked one partition with the ntfsfix thingy, but he just mounted the other partition read only, copied everything and refomatted the partition to ext4 or whatever.

If you cannot boot Windows and shut it down properly or run chdsk on it, then I think I would just mount it read only and copy everything.

• @scapegoatwax it shouldnt have any problems reading it. is there possible hard drive damage?

• Should have done done that as an admin or root, that’s why it’s refused.
    sudo mount -t ntfs -o ro /dev/sdd2 (be sure to have installed ntfs-3g package)

The only limit to freedom is your mind.

• Hi,

My advice:

1. The quickest and easiest way to fix your drive is to connect it to a Windows installation. It will allow to mount it and fix it without problems.

2. Never use Windows again (this way you will not have this mount/unmount problems) ;)

I would guess that the real problem here is that Windows left the NTFS drive in a bad state (unexpected computer shutdown maybe?). Linux won’t mount the drive if it detects that the file system is “unclean” (not unmounted as it should). Or maybe you didn’t unmount it correctly when accessing it from Linux?

Cheers!

mount11 windows37 ntfs3 computer3 Posts 5Views 884