• Cnchi TESTING {the Antergos Graphical Installer}

@“MaNNa”:urln0qt3 said:

Now testing v0.5.13 – moving right along!

Answering questions, then on to the Advanced Partitioning screen, no ‘Install Now =>’ lit.
    Now we *do* get a Remove and Change button lighting up when clicking on a given partition. So proceeded with:
    >Clicked on /dev/sda1 swap then Change (this step was not necessary as sda1 was already formatted (from last test install), in place, and ready to go) and made sure all the settings were correct. They were.
    >Now click on /dev/sda2 / root then Change. Noticed the Mount point needs to be set, and there are options to change the FS type, and select format as necessary. Did both, set the Mount Point, and selected Format (which can also be set from the main Advanced Partitioning screen.
    >As soon as the / Mount point is set (at the same time added the label: ROOT), we now get a lit ‘Install Now =>’!
    >Since I want this test install to be life-like, I do *not* want to format/erase data on my /home partition (/dev/sda3) nor my /home/bill/STORAGE (/dev/sda4) partition, I simply had to go in and Change/set the mount points as stated.
    >Click on: ‘Install Now =>’
    >Moves forward after a short time of reformatting the root partition to asking the personal and other setup questions.
    >Now we get downloading of the files with the with the single progress bar, and slides that still say Razor-qt instead of KDE!
    >It now looks like we have a problem – again, since I did choose “(AUR) support” – downloading yaourt. Comes up with an error dialog with: “Can’t download and install necessary packages.” With a close button to close Cnchi.[/quote:urln0qt3]

=======

Testing Cnchi v0.5.14

Seems to have fixed (most?/all?) from my own quote above, so will now report as I see it now:

<BUG?>The confirmation list to continue to make changes below (partitioning, formatting, etc.), still does not match the Advanced Partitioning dialog order. sda1 should be at the top, then on down the list.

=Downloading takes a long time, as we all know, but at least continues to the end, and to System Configuration, and such.

=Maybe add a colon *:* after the word *Downloading packagename* >Like this: *Downloading: packagename*

<BUG?>The download progress bar percentage for each package download is still out of sync with the actual download percentage. Example: linux got to 59% on the progress bar, even though 100% complete on the DL.

=Now we do see a overall progress bar on the download/install dialog, it does take a long time to move off of 0%. Maybe make it inch along as packages are actually downloading, so the user will see progress sooner. Also, even though we see the slides moving, it may be a good idea to add a rotating icon/widget as files are downloading, and even other functions (such as formatting partitions) that we must wait for Cnchi to complete.

<BUG>Once it gets to System Configuration, Cnchi won’t finish. (slides do continue to move) Last lines of cnchi.log are below:

2014-02-14 12:16:36,203 - cnchi.py:__init__() - INFO: Cnchi installer version 0.5.14
    2014-02-14 12:16:36,210 - cnchi.py:__init__() - DEBUG: [1137] MainProcess started
    <SNIP>
    2014-02-15 00:24:48,888 - process.py:run() - DEBUG: Packages installed.
    2014-02-15 00:24:48,900 - process.py:run() - DEBUG: Configuring system…
    2014-02-15 00:24:48,938 - process.py:run() - ERROR: Error: [Errno 12] Cannot allocate memory. Unable to continue.
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File “/usr/share/cnchi/src/installation/process.py”, line 342, in run
    self.configure_system()
    File “/usr/share/cnchi/src/installation/process.py”, line 1584, in configure_system
    self.auto_fstab()
    File “/usr/share/cnchi/src/installation/process.py”, line 931, in auto_fstab
    part_info = fs.get_info(parti)
    File “/usr/share/cnchi/src/canonical/misc.py”, line 163, in helper
    return func(*args, **kwargs)
    File “/usr/share/cnchi/src/parted3/fs_module.py”, line 39, in get_info
    ret = subprocess.check_output(shlex.split(‘blkid %s’ % part)).decode().strip()
    File “/usr/lib/python3.3/subprocess.py”, line 576, in check_output
    with Popen(*popenargs, stdout=PIPE, **kwargs) as process:
    File “/usr/lib/python3.3/subprocess.py”, line 824, in __init__
    restore_signals, start_new_session)
    File “/usr/lib/python3.3/subprocess.py”, line 1386, in _execute_child
    restore_signals, start_new_session, preexec_fn)
    OSError: [Errno 12] Cannot allocate memory
    2014-02-15 00:24:49,815 - slides.py:manage_events_from_cb_queue() - INFO: Configuring your new system
    2014-02-15 00:24:49,920 - show_message.py:error() - ERROR: [Errno 12] Cannot allocate memory

=======

Side note: Hey Dustin, since you did such a great job fixing spellcheck in Firefox, would you like to look into why I can’t attach a file (cnchi.log) with ‘Upload attachment’? I even tried renaming the extension to .png.

In God's love,
    †MaNNa <{{{\>< …to You all thanks and glory Lord Yeshua!

And Jesus prayed to The Father, "And this is the way to ete…

• @“MaNNa”:urln0qt3 said:

Now testing v0.5.13 – moving right along!

Answering questions, then on to the Advanced Partitioning screen, no ‘Install Now =>’ lit.
    Now we *do* get a Remove and Change button lighting up when clicking on a given partition. So proceeded with:
    >Clicked on /dev/sda1 swap then Change (this step was not necessary as sda1 was already formatted (from last test install), in place, and ready to go) and made sure all the settings were correct. They were.
    >Now click on /dev/sda2 / root then Change. Noticed the Mount point needs to be set, and there are options to change the FS type, and select format as necessary. Did both, set the Mount Point, and selected Format (which can also be set from the main Advanced Partitioning screen.
    >As soon as the / Mount point is set (at the same time added the label: ROOT), we now get a lit ‘Install Now =>’!
    >Since I want this test install to be life-like, I do *not* want to format/erase data on my /home partition (/dev/sda3) nor my /home/bill/STORAGE (/dev/sda4) partition, I simply had to go in and Change/set the mount points as stated.
    >Click on: ‘Install Now =>’
    >Moves forward after a short time of reformatting the root partition to asking the personal and other setup questions.
    >Now we get downloading of the files with the with the single progress bar, and slides that still say Razor-qt instead of KDE!
    >It now looks like we have a problem – again, since I did choose “(AUR) support” – downloading yaourt. Comes up with an error dialog with: “Can’t download and install necessary packages.” With a close button to close Cnchi.[/quote:urln0qt3]

=======

Testing Cnchi v0.5.14

Seems to have fixed (most?/all?) from my own quote above, so will now report as I see it now:

<BUG?>The confirmation list to continue to make changes below (partitioning, formatting, etc.), still does not match the Advanced Partitioning dialog order. sda1 should be at the top, then on down the list.

=Downloading takes a long time, as we all know, but at least continues to the end, and to System Configuration, and such.

=Maybe add a colon *:* after the word *Downloading packagename* >Like this: *Downloading: packagename*

<BUG?>The download progress bar percentage for each package download is still out of sync with the actual download percentage. Example: linux got to 59% on the progress bar, even though 100% complete on the DL.

=Now we do see a overall progress bar on the download/install dialog, it does take a long time to move off of 0%. Maybe make it inch along as packages are actually downloading, so the user will see progress sooner. Also, even though we see the slides moving, it may be a good idea to add a rotating icon/widget as files are downloading, and even other functions (such as formatting partitions) that we must wait for Cnchi to complete.

<BUG>Once it gets to System Configuration, Cnchi won’t finish. (slides do continue to move) Last lines of cnchi.log are below:

2014-02-14 12:16:36,203 - cnchi.py:__init__() - INFO: Cnchi installer version 0.5.14
    2014-02-14 12:16:36,210 - cnchi.py:__init__() - DEBUG: [1137] MainProcess started
    <SNIP>
    2014-02-15 00:24:48,888 - process.py:run() - DEBUG: Packages installed.
    2014-02-15 00:24:48,900 - process.py:run() - DEBUG: Configuring system…
    2014-02-15 00:24:48,938 - process.py:run() - ERROR: Error: [Errno 12] Cannot allocate memory. Unable to continue.
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File “/usr/share/cnchi/src/installation/process.py”, line 342, in run
    self.configure_system()
    File “/usr/share/cnchi/src/installation/process.py”, line 1584, in configure_system
    self.auto_fstab()
    File “/usr/share/cnchi/src/installation/process.py”, line 931, in auto_fstab
    part_info = fs.get_info(parti)
    File “/usr/share/cnchi/src/canonical/misc.py”, line 163, in helper
    return func(*args, **kwargs)
    File “/usr/share/cnchi/src/parted3/fs_module.py”, line 39, in get_info
    ret = subprocess.check_output(shlex.split(‘blkid %s’ % part)).decode().strip()
    File “/usr/lib/python3.3/subprocess.py”, line 576, in check_output
    with Popen(*popenargs, stdout=PIPE, **kwargs) as process:
    File “/usr/lib/python3.3/subprocess.py”, line 824, in __init__
    restore_signals, start_new_session)
    File “/usr/lib/python3.3/subprocess.py”, line 1386, in _execute_child
    restore_signals, start_new_session, preexec_fn)
    OSError: [Errno 12] Cannot allocate memory
    2014-02-15 00:24:49,815 - slides.py:manage_events_from_cb_queue() - INFO: Configuring your new system
    2014-02-15 00:24:49,920 - show_message.py:error() - ERROR: [Errno 12] Cannot allocate memory

=======

Side note: Hey Dustin, since you did such a great job fixing spellcheck in Firefox, would you like to look into why I can’t attach a file (cnchi.log) with ‘Upload attachment’? I even tried renaming the extension to .png.

In God's love,

• Hi , thanks for the feedback as usual
    @“MaNNa”:2ko7u8pw said:

he download progress bar percentage for each package download is still out of sync with the actual download percentage. Example: linux got to 59% on the progress bar, even though 100% complete on the DL.[/quote:2ko7u8pw]Currently we are working on a complete rewrite of the process cnchi uses to download packages. Once complete all of the progress indicator quirkiness should be resolved.

Also, even though we see the slides moving, it may be a good idea to add a rotating icon/widget as files are downloading, and even other functions (such as formatting partitions) that we must wait for Cnchi to complete.[/quote:2ko7u8pw]There should be a small spinner on the far right side. Is it not there? I wouldnt know b/c even in my vbox testing the partitioning completes before it has a chance to show the spinner

ERROR: [Errno 12] Cannot allocate memory[/quote:2ko7u8pw]How much RAM did you allocate for this test? That error is outside of our control unless we have a memory leak somewhere

Side note: Hey Dustin, since you did such a great job fixing spellcheck in Firefox, [/quote:2ko7u8pw]As much as I would love to take credit for fixing the firefox spellcheck…I didnt do anything (unless forgetting to look into it counts as doing something

would you like to look into why I can’t attach a file (cnchi.log) with ‘Upload attachment’? I even tried renaming the extension to .png[/quote:2ko7u8pw]
    If its not an image file you have to place it in an archive (tar/zip/…etc) to upload in the forum.

Time for work…Thanks again…CHEERS!

• @“lots.0.logs”:3l59cgng said:

Hi , thanks for the feedback as usual
    @“MaNNa”:3l59cgng said:

he download progress bar percentage for each package download is still out of sync with the actual download percentage. Example: linux got to 59% on the progress bar, even though 100% complete on the DL.[/quote:3l59cgng] @“lots.0.logs”:3l59cgng said:

Currently we are working on a complete rewrite of the process cnchi uses to download packages. Once complete all of the progress indicator quirkiness should be resolved.[/quote:3l59cgng]
    Sounds good.

Also, even though we see the slides moving, it may be a good idea to add a rotating icon/widget as files are downloading, and even other functions (such as formatting partitions) that we must wait for Cnchi to complete.[/quote:3l59cgng] @“lots.0.logs”:3l59cgng said:

There should be a small spinner on the far right side. Is it not there? I wouldnt know b/c even in my vbox testing the partitioning completes before it has a chance to show the spinner
    No, it doesn’t show, unless I’m getting blind, which is entirely possible.

ERROR: [Errno 12] Cannot allocate memory[/quote:3l59cgng] @“lots.0.logs”:3l59cgng said:

How much RAM did you allocate for this test? That error is outside of our control unless we have a memory leak somewhere
    I set almost 800MB for this VM, which is usually enough.

Side note: Hey Dustin, since you did such a great job fixing spellcheck in Firefox, [/quote:3l59cgng] @“lots.0.logs”:3l59cgng said:

As much as I would love to take credit for fixing the firefox spellcheck…I didnt do anything (unless forgetting to look into it counts as doing something
    Of course that counts!

would you like to look into why I can’t attach a file (cnchi.log) with ‘Upload attachment’? I even tried renaming the extension to .png[/quote:3l59cgng]
    If its not an image file you have to place it in an archive (tar/zip/…etc) to upload in the forum.

Ok, will do it that way then. Thanks Dustin for all your help!

@“lots.0.logs”:3l59cgng said:

Time for work…Thanks again…CHEERS![/quote:3l59cgng]
    You a very welcome. Glad to be of service.

In God's love,

• just did an install using Feb.16 64bit build. Used default settings whole disk,check set home partition and install was fast with no problems. compaq 6510b duo-core 3Gb ram. intel video and wireless.

[img:1pt1tebw]http://i59.tinypic.com/33e3r08.png[/img:1pt1tebw]
    [b:1pt1tebw]Don't forget to mark your thread as [SOLVED] [/b:1pt1tebw]

• :exclamation:Sorry, this attachment is unavailable.

Testing v0.5.17

Permission problem as per attached log.

“We will make changes to the disk” dialog is still out of order from the partitioning dialog.

No spinner still showing.

Kind regards…

In God's love,

• Hi,

It’s early in the morning so maybe that’s the cause I don’t see any problem in your log

Well, it doesn’t finish but I can’t see why not.

“We will make changes to the disk” dialog is still out of order from the partitioning dialog.

Totally forgot about this. I’ll try to fix it asap.

No spinner still showing.

I’ve added a pulsing progress bar near the end of the installation (after downloading and installing) so the user knows that “something” is happening. As your installation didn’t even start you didn’t see it.

Cheers!

• All sounds good, Gustau. Will try again tomorrow.

Good day to you!

In God's love,

• here is pastbin- install froze build 17
    [http://pastebin.com/ct4vNbUQ][0]">[http://pastebin.com/ct4vNbUQ][1]
    should I have waited longer???

[0]: <a href=
    [1]: http://pastebin.com/ct4vNbUQ

• Hi,

Should be working now.

Cheers!

• Install finished! here is pastebin [http://pastebin.com/WZstf6W1][0]">[http://pastebin.com/WZstf6W1][1]

[0]: <a href=
    [1]: http://pastebin.com/WZstf6W1

• :exclamation:Sorry, this attachment is unavailable.
    Cnchi: 0.5.18

Partition orders in both dialogs (partitioning & post-partitioning) are now synced/ordered properly. Good job!

On this test install, I did not check the box to format SWAP, to test this functionality – did set this to Format yesterday. It didn’t like that, as I could see in the terminal. At least Cnchi did NOT crash. I was then able to check the Format box then continue.

I suggest that Swap and Root partitions default to Format checked, since it looks like at least Swap is required to format each time. And of course, these both (and /boot, if used) SHOULD be formatted each time, except for extremely rare situations. The user could then uncheck a Format box if they so choose to do so, in that situation.

I add a label ‘SWAP’ (as well as ROOT. HOME, etc) each time I do a test install, but the swap label is never added.

Downloading individual packages still do not complete their progress bar to 100%.

The overall progress bar looks to be working correctly.

KDE is still not added to the slide. I believe KDE should be first on the list, even before Gnome, as KDE has been rated (I should be able to find the poll, if needed

Maybe add a colon after the word ‘Installing’, like this: Installing: foobar-1.2.3

I’ve added a pulsing progress bar near the end of the installation (after downloading and installing) so the user knows that “something” is happening.

Yep, spotted that! Looks and works great for that purpose!

After saving cnchi.log to a USB stick, rebooted to a perfectly working KDE desktop!

One nitpic: No desktop picture or theme on this KDE desktop, so maybe need to add that.

Excellent work!

As far as I’m concerned, it looks like Antergos is (almost) ready for another stable release to be sprung onto the world!

In God's love,

• @“MaNNa”:84hk93ge said:

One nitpic: No desktop picture or theme on this KDE desktop, so maybe need to add that.
    [/quote:84hk93ge]Hmmm…I will check on this. It was working the last time I tested it

• @“lots.0.logs”:va42kzar said:

@“MaNNa”:va42kzar said:

[/quote:va42kzar]Hmmm…I will check on this. It was working the last time I tested it

In God's love,

• Hi MaNNa,

Long post, thanks!

Let’s see…

Partition orders in both dialogs (partitioning & post-partitioning) are now synced/ordered properly. Good job!

Thanks! (as I said, I totally forgot about this, it wasn’t that difficult to fix

On this test install, I did not check the box to format SWAP, to test this functionality – did set this to Format yesterday. It didn’t like that, as I could see in the terminal. At least Cnchi did NOT crash. I was then able to check the Format box then continue. I suggest that Swap and Root partitions default to Format checked, since it looks like at least Swap is required to format each time. And of course, these both (and /boot, if used) SHOULD be formatted each time, except for extremely rare situations. The user could then uncheck a Format box if they so choose to do so, in that situation.

We’ll look into this, thanks

I add a label ‘SWAP’ (as well as ROOT. HOME, etc) each time I do a test install, but the swap label is never added.

I’ve filled an issue in our github. We’ll fix this asap.

Downloading individual packages still do not complete their progress bar to 100%.
    The overall progress bar looks to be working correctly.

We have some issues with the progress bars (both of them). The overall one works ok, but makes big steps, so it’s not as useful as we want it to be. We’ll fix them before the final release.

KDE is still not added to the slide. I believe KDE should be first on the list, even before Gnome, as KDE has been rated (I should be able to find the poll, if needed

Don’t worry, I think that Dustin will update the slides before releasing. About KDE vs Gnome: as you may know, we started being an Arch+Cinnamon distro. Now we don’t really have a default desktop (our liveCD is Gnome3 but you can install whatever you like).

Maybe add a colon after the word ‘Installing’, like this: Installing: foobar-1.2.3

You’re a perfectionist…
    I’m sorry to say we’re already in “string and feature freeze” stage, so this semicolon will have to wait until Cnchi 0.8

I also remember that Dustin already did this… maybe I screwed up when merging his changes with mine at some point. We’ll find the commit and fix it. Thanks for the warning.

As far as I’m concerned, it looks like Antergos is (almost) ready for another stable release to be sprung onto the world!

We hope it will be soon!

Thanks again.

• Thanks for the post-back, Gustau. All sounds good, and look forward to final as well!

You are welcome. Talk soon…

In God's love,

• testing march2 build. install went fine using MATE. Broadcom wireless firmware missing. Couldn’t use terminal while on live desktop. dell d610 laptop

• Thanks for the feedback. You couldn’t use regular gnome-terminal or the root terminal. The root terminal shortcut is a known issue, we need to remove it probably. I just completed out MATE configuration less than an hour ago si you likely got a plain MATE install without any preconfigured settings

• Couldn’t use terminal while on live desktop.

Alt+F2 then type in gnome-terminal, should get that for you Max.

BTW, welcome aboard Antergos!

In God's love,

• I mean I got an error
    "There was an error creating the child process for this terminal
    grantpt failed: Operation not permitted"
    and when I tried to open root terminal
    ’Failed to run gnome-terminal as user root. Failed to fork new process: Operation not permitted’

EDIT: I burned a fresh download and did NOT have a problem! Must have been a bad download before!

Posts 60Views 12996