• Dolphin won't open in root.

This is from a clean Kde install yesterday (Dolphin Version 16.08.1)

$ sudo dolphin = “Session bus not found\nTo circumvent this problem try the following command (with Linux and bash)\nexport $(dbus-launch)”

kdesu dolphin = no messages but dolphin still does not open

Kate works with sudo and kdesu

• @Aaron-Holmes This is a bad problem, caused by recent dbus package upgrade. You should be not able to open with kdesu System Settings (systemsettings5) as well.

The same dbus upgrade doesn’t allow to open caja with gksu in Mate.

There is a workaround. Though not very nice and clean. I’ll post it later, when I’ll have more time.

• The issue is not Antergos-related. It is present not only in many Arch-based distros, but also n native Arch. It hurts Mate and Plasma here. Cinnamon and Gnome3 are not affected by the issue.

The workaround in brief: install dbus-x11 package from AUR with:

yaourt -S dbus-x11

After that dolphin and systemsettings5 will work with kdesu in Plasma, caja will work with gksu in Mate.

The workaround is not nice. Why?

• it installs an AUR package. For the sake of stability, it’s better to avoid to install anything from AUR. Especially packages like dbus, which act at a system level.

• dbus-x11 is in conflict with core/dbus package, which must be removed to install dbus-x11. Replacing a core package with another from AUR is a madness.

The workaround is difficult to apply. Why?

• dbus-x11 is signed with the 4DE8FF2A63C7CC90 key, which is not in any keyring I use: archlinux-keyring, antergos-keyring, apricity-keyring. Simply speaking, yaourt may refuse to install the package because of unknown public key. If this is the case, just ask - I’ll explain how to add this key to trustdb.

• Antergos has another Plasma-specific diffculty. While AUR packages install without a problem in other Antergos flavors, some of them refuse to install in Plasma - apparently because of docbook* -related problems. In this case I build an AUR package in Mate | Cinnamon | Gnome3, and then install it in Plasma. You should be able to build an AUR package in one DE and install it in another. If in need, I’ll explain how to do that.

The workaround is dirty. Why?

• it replaces a system package from [core] with another from AUR

• it installs a package signed with not quite normal public key

The workaround works. Why?

• because everything is possible in Arch :)

I’ll try to attach the ready-to-use dbus-x11 package, built by yaourt from AUR, here. Not sure whether the forum’s software will allow to upload a binary package in a public place:

If you can download the package, then forget about yaourt-related nightmare described above, and simply install the package with:

sudo pacman -U <path-to-downloaded-package>

Accept dbus package removal during dbus-x11 install.

Good luck.

• @just said in Dolphin won't open in root.:

The issue is not Antergos-related. It is present not only in many Arch-based distros, but also n native Arch. It hurts Mate and Plasma here. Cinnamon and Gnome3 are not affected by the issue.

The workaround in brief: install dbus-x11 package from AUR with:

yaourt -S dbus-x11

After that dolphin and systemsettings5 will work with kdesu in Plasma, caja will work with gksu in Mate.

The workaround is not nice. Why?

• it installs an AUR package. For the sake of stability, it’s better to avoid to install anything from AUR. Especially packages like dbus, which act at a system level.

• dbus-x11 is in conflict with core/dbus package, which must be removed to install dbus-x11. Replacing a core package with another from AUR is a madness.

The workaround is difficult to apply. Why?

• dbus-x11 is signed with the 4DE8FF2A63C7CC90 key, which is not in any keyring I use: archlinux-keyring, antergos-keyring, apricity-keyring. Simply speaking, yaourt may refuse to install the package because of unknown public key. If this is the case, just ask - I’ll explain how to add this key to trustdb.

• Antergos has another Plasma-specific diffculty. While AUR packages install without a problem in other Antergos flavors, some of them refuse to install in Plasma - apparently because of docbook* -related problems. In this case I build an AUR package in Mate | Cinnamon | Gnome3, and then install it in Plasma. You should be able to build an AUR package in one DE and install it in another. If in need, I’ll explain how to do that.

The workaround is dirty. Why?

• it replaces a system package from [core] with another from AUR

• it installs a package signed with not quite normal public key

The workaround works. Why?

• because everything is possible in Arch :)

I’ll try to attach the ready-to-use dbus-x11 package, built by yaourt from AUR, here. Not sure whether the forum’s software will allow to upload a binary package in a public place:

If you can download the package, then forget about yaourt-related nightmare described above, and simply install the package with:

sudo pacman -U <path-to-downloaded-package>

Accept dbus package removal during dbus-x11 install.

Good luck.

Thank you for the explanation and guide, I’ll give this a try later tonight. :+1:

• Hi
    Open Terminal and
    kdesu dbus-launch systemsettings5
    kdesu dbus-launch dolphin
    or in Startmenu

Gruß Olli
    Was man nicht wirklich weiß, das muss man sich erklären
    KDE Neon - Kubuntu 16.04 - Linux Mint 18.2 - AMD Phenom 9650 - 8 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 - Alle Distris mit KDE Plasma 5 auf SSD Btrfs lzo komprimiert

• @OlliFri said in Dolphin won't open in root.:

Open Terminal and
    or in Startmenu

Nice tip! Works like a charm.

Will remove AUR/dbus-x11 and put back core/dbus.

Thanks

• Hi, Antergos Fans
    And also important!
    In the file < /etc /environment > following line Enter.
    XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP = kde
    otherwise you have in root mode, no icons

Gruß Olli
    Was man nicht wirklich weiß, das muss man sich erklären
    KDE Neon - Kubuntu 16.04 - Linux Mint 18.2 - AMD Phenom 9650 - 8 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 - Alle Distris mit KDE Plasma 5 auf SSD Btrfs lzo komprimiert

• Indeed i can’t open CAJA here (MATE desktop), but i can open Nautilus as sudo, so it was enough for me.

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @fernandomaroto said in Dolphin won't open in root.:

Indeed i can’t open CAJA here (MATE desktop),…

In Mate

gksu dbus-launch caja

opens Caja with root privileges without a problem here.

• @OlliFri said in Dolphin won't open in root.:

Hi
    Open Terminal and
    or in Startmenu

Thank you very much (SOLVED) :+1:

• Does turn out that better not to set him (dbus-x11) ? :eyes:

Russian fan club of Antergos

• @tuxnot Sorry. Surely, I misunderstood you. Are you about to remove D-Bus from a system?

Cool.

• Yes. It is worthwhile to change dbus by dbus-x11 ? Will not affect this the stability of system? (I write through translator, sorry)

• @tuxnot To not spend a zilyon words explaining what D-Bus is, I’ll try to be short.

Removing D-Bus from Linux is like removing circulatory system from the human body.

Both Linux and a human are rarely survive after that.

• @just I understood. Thank you for an answer. I will leave as is. kdesu dbus-launch dolphin works.

• @just said in Dolphin won't open in root.:

gksu dbus-launch caja

why insert dbus-launch also? I still have a lot to learn about linux, i thought gksu caja should be enough. Can you explain please?

Cheers

I3wm - Mate desktop
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB

• @fernandomaroto If gksu caja works in your Mate it is perfect. Continue to use it. There’s no need to use gksu dbus-launch caja.

But my Mate is closer to native Arch than to Antergos. Actually, it’s exactly what native Arch currently contains. Mate in Antergos is different from Mate in Arch.

Due to recent dbus-x11 package upgrade in my Mate has happened exactly the same thing as in Plasma. It became impossible to launch Caja with root privileges. gksu caja has stopped working.

Thanks to dbus-launch tip in this thread, it is now possible to run Caja as root again. Repeat, it applies to my not very “official” Mate configuration.

Briefly. If classic gksu caja works for you, continue to use it. Else, try gksu dbus-launch caja. If it works, use it. Else… move to Cinnamon or Plasma :) .

From the functional point of view, there’s adsolutely no difference between gksu caja and gksu dbus-launch caja.

• In Antergos-Mate I was unable to get the same results as in Arch-Mate:

Arch-Mate-Compiz-1.14

Obviously, GTK3 will ruin all this in Mate.

• gksu caja doens’t work here too, that’s what i don’t understand, but i’m noobie anyway.
    with dbus-launch it works.
    thanks for the explanation.
    Regards

I3wm - Mate desktop
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB

• @just Works for me this too! (thanks just)

Antergos Gnome - Lenovo G4070
    Antergos XFCE (Ex-Mate) - Dell D630
    Antergos Cinnamon - Asus E-11
    Puppy Linux Precise 5.7.1 - Asus 701 EEEpc
    Puppy Linux Lxpuptahr USB live - All machines

kdesu1 sudo11 dolphin6 Posts 21Views 4044