• Lightdm issues / GDM issues

Greetings and salutations;

I was having issues with lightdm, where I could not enter a user, I was using the webkit2 “simple” theme, where you have to enter a user and then the password, I tried a few different greeters and a few different themes, but whenever I tried entering a username the enter key did nothing. There is also no text where it would normally say “User:”

If anyone knows of a fix for that it would be awesome as I prefer lightdm over gdm, but as for my gdm question;

After using Super+L to lock my laptop, gdm shows briefly followed by the screen turning off as normal, but when it comes time to log back into my laptop, any mouse movement or keyboard activity will activate the backlight in the monitor and keyboard, but the screen remains black, and I am unable to login.
    A fix for this would be awesome, though a fix for lightdm would be even better. Thank you!

• @Zerqz
    Not sure what is going on but maybe you could try this for lightdm:
    I use the lightdm-gtk-greeter - same as Manjaro uses as default.

Make sure the following are installed:

• lightdm
    • lightdm-gtk-greeter
    • lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings

additional: light-locker

To be sure you do not end up with conflicting files, uninstall any greeter theme you are not going to use.

Deactivate GDM:

sudo systemctl disable gdm

Enable lightdm

sudo systemctl enable lightdm

if lightdm does not work add -f after lightdm with one space in between.

Never to old to learn.

• @axioma okay this works!!!

Any idea how to troubleshoot the webkit2 greeter?

Edit: spoke to quick, with the gtk-greeter I am unable to lock my laptop at all, super+L does not work and the lock icon is not in the menu on the top right (running gnome)

• @Zerqz
    How about pressing Ctl + Alt+ L? This was the default short cut in my setting (Mate).
    If possible you could try to change the default keyboard short cuts. Worked for me.

Not using Gnome, so not sure how to solve the panel icon. Is it not possible to add the icon by right-clicking on the panel?

Never to old to learn.

• ctrl+alt+l does not work, normally in the panel there is a lock icon which obviously locks the user session, for some reason it is no longer there, which is weird because even using lightdm-webkit2-greeter it was, though I wouldn’t imagine the lock ability to be part of the greeter you’re using…

• @Zerqz
    Looks to me that something has been corrupted along the way.
    I just installed Gnome in Vbox. Everything works as it should.
    Two possibilities I can think of: remove all DMs and auto login or log in through console and see what happens.

The second is to do a fresh install with a fresh .iso, if nobody else has a solution for your problem. That is what I would do anyway. If you have a separate /Home partition, it shouldn’t be a problem.

Never to old to learn.

• well I can login through a console and it works fine, I’m having issues installing “light-locker” though, after I install it and multiple reinstalls there’s no actual application for it, plus “light-locker-command -l” does nothing and also provides no output, so I have a feeling that it’s something to do with light-locker.

I was hoping the lightdm-gtk-greeter update I just got would help, but to no avail.

• @Zerqz Could you post a paste2 link for the contents of the greeter log? First you will need to enable the webkit2 greeter and attempt to log in so that hopefully something shows up in the log. Be sure to enable debug mode in /etc/lightdm/lightdm-webkit2-greeter.conf before trying to reproduce the error. Also, could you tell me if the default greeter theme works?

• @lots.0.logs Tried to change back to lightdm-webkit2-greeter, and lightdm fails to start when booting;

Here’s my lightdm.conf

#
    # General configuration
    [LightDM]
    run-directory=/run/lightdm
    greeter-session=lightdm-webkit2-greeter
    session-wrapper=/etc/lightdm/Xsession

Here’s my lightdm-webkit2-greeter.conf

[greeter]
    webkit-theme = antergos
    debug_mode = true
    screensaver-timeout = 300

Does anything look wrong?

Not sure how to post the output of “systemctl status lightdm” after I fix it to boot (temporarily switched back to gdm, I can at least lock this way, albeit can’t unlock later.)
    Edit:, it says

lightdm.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
    Active failed: (result:start-limit-hit)
    Failed to start lightdm.service

• @Zerqz Is there anything in /var/log/lightdm/seat-0-greeter.log?

• @lots.0.logs

No, it is empty. Along with /var/log/lightdm/seat-0-greeter.log.old

lightdm.log

[+0.00s] DEBUG: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log
    [+0.00s] DEBUG: Starting Light Display Manager 1.18.3, UID=0 PID=419
    [+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration dirs from /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
    [+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration dirs from /usr/local/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
    [+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration dirs from /etc/xdg/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
    [+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration from /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
    [+0.00s] DEBUG: Using D-Bus name org.freedesktop.DisplayManager
    [+0.00s] DEBUG: Registered seat module xlocal
    [+0.00s] DEBUG: Registered seat module xremote
    [+0.00s] DEBUG: Registered seat module unity
    [+0.00s] DEBUG: Monitoring logind for seats
    [+0.00s] DEBUG: New seat added from logind: seat0
    [+0.00s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Loading properties from config section Seat:*
    [+0.00s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Starting
    [+0.00s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Creating greeter session
    [+0.00s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Failed to find session configuration lightdm-gtk-greeter
    [+0.00s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Failed to create greeter session
    [+0.00s] DEBUG: Failed to start seat: seat0

lightdm.log.old

[+0.00s] DEBUG: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log
    [+0.00s] DEBUG: Starting Light Display Manager 1.18.3, UID=0 PID=413
    [+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration dirs from /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
    [+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration dirs from /usr/local/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
    [+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration dirs from /etc/xdg/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
    [+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration from /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
    [+0.00s] DEBUG: Using D-Bus name org.freedesktop.DisplayManager
    [+0.00s] DEBUG: Registered seat module xlocal
    [+0.00s] DEBUG: Registered seat module xremote
    [+0.00s] DEBUG: Registered seat module unity
    [+0.01s] DEBUG: Monitoring logind for seats
    [+0.01s] DEBUG: New seat added from logind: seat0
    [+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Loading properties from config section Seat:*
    [+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Starting
    [+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Creating greeter session
    [+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Failed to find session configuration lightdm-gtk-greeter
    [+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Failed to create greeter session
    [+0.01s] DEBUG: Failed to start seat: seat0

So it looks like it’s trying to find a gtk greeter config, even though in lightdm.conf it is set to lightdm-webkit2-greeter…?

• Those files are recycled. They are from your current boot and your previous boot. It looks like you had already booted twice with gtk greeter so there isnt anything from the webkit greeter. YOu have to check it immediately after booting in with webkit2 greeter.

• @lots.0.logs I didn’t try booting with the gtk greeter though, I switched to gdm to boot, so this is actually the log from the previous boot, it seems like it isn’t reading the lightdm.conf file.

• You have to boot using lightdm in order for there to be a chance to capture useful debug output.

• @lots.0.logs I did, but lightdm fails to start.

Those are the logs after I boot into tty1, it seems like lightdm cannot read the /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf file after I updated it.

• Well, I decided it has been long enough, may as well do a reinstall of Antergos. Now everything works. Seems dumb it just randomly decided to stop working one day, some update must have broken it, but that’s arch.

issues51 lightdm96 gdm33 Posts 16Views 2949