• What are my options for "remotely" controlling Antergos?

Hey!

I made a silly mistake trying to get Antergos up and running and you folks were really helpful, so I’m asking another pretty low-level question. If there’s a better place to ask about this, sorry!

I mostly chose to install Antergos in accordance with a guide I was following (they did the project in Arch, using Antergos to install) and now that I’m up and running I’m ready to try working my way through the guide! I’m a total beginner in Linux but I’m pretty sure that with a GUI I’ll be able to follow along.

For most of the steps, I’d like to try using Terminal where I can, and I’d like to be able to work on the project from my laptop at work and my desktop at home. The most basic functionality I’m looking for is being able to access my machine’s terminal from another computer on the local network.

I really liked the way I could enter my computer’s (local) IP address or hostname and pull up a web client that had access to terminal with Fedora. It was also a nice feature that it just displayed the information to access that at the top of the screen regardless of whether there was a user logged in or not. Being able to access that sort of interface from home (a separate LAN, of course), too, would be awesome.

Right now the server I’m trying to configure (the machine I want to remotely access) is the only Linux machine in the office. I’m hoping to use this machine to teach myself and my coworkers about Linux to formally move our primary server to Linux in the future. At home, my HTPC is running Linux and my desktop can run a Linux VM if using Linux is mandatory. My work Laptop is running Windows 10, but I could dual boot Linux if that’s necessary. I liked the web client because all I needed to do was punch in an IP address and go.

I looked at webmin, but it didn’t explicitly say it had terminal access so I’m not sure that’s what I’m looking for.

• If you want to just access the terminal, you can just use ssh. It’s quite easy to set up. This post from the ubuntu forums may help. The arch wiki for ssh is here if you want more configurations.

• Also accessing through ssh in windows is possible. It is quite easy with a software called putty. You may want to check that out, too.

• Hi,

If you only want a terminal access, I would use SSH (Secure SHell)

If connecting from Windows, you can use the putty client app (very lightweight).

SSH will work from any Linux terminal.

You have to setup the server part though, but it’s really easy:

sudo pacman -S openssh
    sudo systemctl enable sshd

First line installs it, second line makes it start with each reboot.

Oh, fist time you must start the service yourself:
    sudo systemctl start sshd

Then from the client:

ssh [email protected]_address

More info: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Secure_Shell

Cheers!

• @karasu I believe ssh -X [email protected] does the trick, too.

controlling1 remotely1 Posts 5Views 413