• How to change display manager

This post is deleted!
  • Available on the Wiki -
    (Akismet blocks my link as spam)

Display Managers are provided for a login screen, which protects your desktop from unauthorized users.  Display Managers all provide their own styles, and different types of skin support. Their system resource requirements vary.
    Note:  This installation guide is assuming you are already using the default Lightdm Display Manager.
    Remove LightDM

Before installing a different Display Manager, you must first remove LightDm with the following command.
    sudo pacman -Rcns lightdm
    Now that Lightdm is removed, do not logout or restart till you installed your desired manager.
    Display Manager Options

SDDM (Recommended for KDE):

sudo pacman -S sddm-kcm
    sudo systemctl -f enable sddm
    GDM (Recommended for GNOME):

sudo pacman -S gdm
    sudo systemctl -f enable gdm

Reboot Your System

After installing and enabling a display manager, reboot your login system. You should now see the newly installed display manager's login screen. If you have any trouble or want to know how to install a display manager that isn't listed on this page, post a new question on the Antergos Forum.

• @lmdz Thanks, I’ll give that a go.

• @benisawesome192 , I would recomend keeping lightDM in case something goes wrong. If I were you, I d simply perform
    sudo pacman -S gdm
    sudo systemctl disable lightdm
    sudo systemctl enable gdm
    sudo reboot

• @lmdz Unfortunately, that didn’t work.
    Now when I startup my PC it just takes me into the command line.

• @benisawesome192 said i

@lmdz Unfortunately, that didn’t work.

What exactly didn t work? Can please you be more specific as to what exactly you did?

• @anarch Well basically I did what lmdz to do (because I saw that answer first) and now I’m left with a command line.

• @benisawesome192 Command line is good.
    The OS is booting, maybe a problem with Graphics drivers, or the Display manager.
    Try to pull some logs to understand where the problem is

• @benisawesome192 said

Well basically I did what lmdz to do

So I guess, but would you please mind posting EXACTLY what you did? It might be a helpful beginning…👍

• @anarch OK right, I did this

sudo pacman -Rcns lightdm

sudo pacman -S gdm
    sudo systemctl -f enable gdm

• @lmdz OK I had a look at systemctl and gdm.service is masked which might mean that it won’t enable but I’m not too sure.
    Also when I try to unmask gdm.service it just masks again :/

• Did you disable lightdm first? You can’t enable gdm if you don’t disable lightdm before that.

sudo systemctl disable lightdm

• @karasu I deleted lightdm.

• @benisawesome192 If you removed lightdm and are sure you installed Gdm you should be able to activate it with:

sudo systemctl enable gdm -f

or

sudo systemctl enable gdm-service

With or without -f (force).
    You should get a confirmation that it was successful. After that: reboot.

• @axioma It keeps saying that gdm.service is masked even when I try to unmask it

• @lmdz Ok right so what you’re saying is that i can’t unmask it and have to reinstall lightdm

manager74 display50 Posts 17Views 4208
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.