• Unable to login to my profile

Hey, I installed Antergos yesterday but when I try to login to my profile, the screen goes black for a few seconds and then it goes back into the login screen. I’m running Antergos completely from my external hard drive. i have installed the Cinnamon desktop twice, but still had the same error so I tried Xfce but still have the same error. I set up Antergos using Advanced Installation, I have 20GB for root (/) , 2 GB for swap, 300MB for /boot and over 500GB of my hard drive for /home. Is there something I have configured incorrectly on the advanced installation window? I installed most of the add-on, I only didn’t install Firefox & the last two options (Something along the lines of an Internet firewall and access to files + folders with SMB (?) ). I have not found any solutions online so I said I’d post here. Any help is appreciated 😃

• @shane_slattz Not sure but looks like your GUI session wont start. What desktop you using now? I would check .xinitrc if you have it or .dmrc what they want to start.

• @louis_1 I’m using Xfce. I’m completely new to this, where do I find those files? 😛

• @shane_slattz /home/username/.xinitrc or /home/username/.dmrc
    Its in your home directory they are hidden files so switch on show hidden files.

• @louis_1 I can’t find them files even when showing hidden files…

• @shane_slattz username is your username right? 🙂 just for sure
    What is your problem again? you said you using xfce now so it works?

• @louis_1 my username is shane, I can’t find them files you mentioned in the folder 😕 Xfce doesn’t work for me, as well as cinnamon. I haven’t tried any other desktops. My problem is when I login to my profile, the screen goes black for a few seconds then it returns to the login screen…

• @shane_slattz So you have to look in /home/shane/.xinitrc or /home/shane/.dmrc
    Did you select xfce at login screen? Sometimes it needed.
    If doesn’t helps try to create .xinitrc file in your home folder and put this in:

exec startxfce4

save and restart.

• @louis_1 This didn’t work 😞 I used windows 10 to create the file and notepad to insert the text you sent & then removed the file extension and named it as you told me to.

• @shane_slattz What about selecting xfce from the menu at the login window? No help? Windows using different file structure so I guess it wont work in linux.

• @louis_1 Does nothing 😕 I’m using ext4 for root, ext2 for boot & fat32 for /home. Does fat32 mess with anything? I cant format that partition because it contains a lot of files that i can’t copy to somewhere else because of lack of space.

• @shane_slattz Sorry shane I gonna give it up now because you just come up with all kinds of new problems every other post 🙂 I can’t follow the problem. I don’t know why did you choose fat32 anyway. I would just reinstall antergos and avoid all mistakes.

• @louis_1 i have reinstalled it but i have to do advanced installation so i dont lose all my personal files. I think I am doing something wrong or prehaps the /home directory doesn’t work on fat32… I’ll try on another usb and see if that works.

• @louis_1 said in Unable to login to my profile:

would just reinstall antergos and avoid all mistakes.

and @shane_slattz , use EXT4 file system for all your partitions. FAT32 is used when we want to have a partition (eg media, movies, etc) and want to have access from both Linux & Windows if dualbooting.

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 18.04 64bit Gnome
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• @anarch Yeah, thats it. Not good idea mixing up file systems.

login102 unable53 profile3 Posts 15Views 1560
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.