• UEFI status

Hi, been following a couple of the testing threads and I have a general set of questions.

1. I downloaded the Feb 9, 2014 ISO, will this have the latest GUI installer that appears to be working now with UEFI? Or do I have to use testing for a successful UEFI install? If I have to use testing, is this the correct method?

wget [http://antergos.info/testing.sh][0]">[http://antergos.info/testing.sh][1]
    chmod +x testing.sh
    sudo -E ./testing.sh

1. When I boot off the above Feb 9 ISO (dd to USB), I don’t get the option to boot in EFI mode, like the dual arch ISO. Is this going to be a problem when installing in UEFI mode?

2. Do I have to pass a switch to the installer to install grub to UEFI? How is this done in testing?

3. Will it see my Win8 EFI partition and add the Antergos boot options?

If there is a post or wiki somewhere with all this, I apologize for not looking hard enough.

Thanks for the great distro and all the hard work!

[0]: <a href=
    [1]: http://antergos.info/testing.sh

• Hi, been following a couple of the testing threads and I have a general set of questions.

1. I downloaded the Feb 9, 2014 ISO, will this have the latest GUI installer that appears to be working now with UEFI? Or do I have to use testing for a successful UEFI install? If I have to use testing, is this the correct method?

wget [http://antergos.info/testing.sh][0]">[http://antergos.info/testing.sh][1]
    chmod +x testing.sh
    sudo -E ./testing.sh

1. When I boot off the above Feb 9 ISO (dd to USB), I don’t get the option to boot in EFI mode, like the dual arch ISO. Is this going to be a problem when installing in UEFI mode?

2. Do I have to pass a switch to the installer to install grub to UEFI? How is this done in testing?

3. Will it see my Win8 EFI partition and add the Antergos boot options?

If there is a post or wiki somewhere with all this, I apologize for not looking hard enough.

Thanks for the great distro and all the hard work!

[0]: <a href=
    [1]: http://antergos.info/testing.sh

• @“motley”:v5t5i21n said:

[/quote:v5t5i21n]The testing images are generated once per week (on Sunday) so they will not contain any changes made during the week until the following Sunday. Using the testing.sh script ensures that you are always using the latest code. The steps you listed are correct
      @“motley”:v5t5i21n said:
      [/quote:v5t5i21n]The iso automatically detects UEFI systems but I don’t recall if it is made obvious to the user or not. Are you getting a graphical boot screen or just a black terminal screen? (UEFI is just a regular terminal interface)
    1. Do I have to pass a switch to the installer to install grub to UEFI? How is this done in testing?
      [/quote:v5t5i21n]Cncni detects that your system is UEFI and will install the appropriate grub files. In advanced mode (choosing your own partitions) Cnchi looks for you to mount your existing EFI partition as /boot or if you none is existing to create one (using fat32). In automatic mode cnchi would be using the entire disk so this is not recommended if you have an existing EFI partition.
    1. Will it see my Win8 EFI partition and add the Antergos boot options?[/quote:v5t5i21n]Yes, but you will need to use advanced mode and manually mount your partitions as described above.

[/quote:v5t5i21n]No sorry not while in testing. Once we finalize the process surrounding UEFI we will be sure to put documentation online.

Let me know if you run into any problems. BTW, Welcome to Antergos!

Best Regards,
    Dustin

• @“lots.0.logs”:29hbu7go said:

@“motley”:29hbu7go said:

[/quote:29hbu7go]The iso automatically detects UEFI systems but I don’t recall if it is made obvious to the user or not. Are you getting a graphical boot screen or just a black terminal screen? (UEFI is just a regular terminal interface)[/quote:29hbu7go]

well actualy some UEFI have 2 options boot as bios or boot as UEFI if bios mode is selected the motherboard tends to “hide” UEFI from the OS all together, so cnchi would have a hard time finding it.
    For example there would be no EFI variables.

also motley what did you make the USB with and did you make sure you selected the right boot option?

(some motherboards show external devices twice once with “UEFI:” in front of the device name)

• @“lots.0.logs”:axg20ypn said:

@“motley”:axg20ypn said:

[/quote:axg20ypn]The testing images are generated once per week (on Sunday) so they will not contain any changes made during the week until the following Sunday. Using the testing.sh script ensures that you are always using the latest code. The steps you listed are correct
      [/quote:axg20ypn]The iso automatically detects UEFI systems but I don’t recall if it is made obvious to the user or not. Are you getting a graphical boot screen or just a black terminal screen? (UEFI is just a regular terminal interface)
    1. Do I have to pass a switch to the installer to install grub to UEFI? How is this done in testing?
      [/quote:axg20ypn]Cncni detects that your system is UEFI and will install the appropriate grub files. In advanced mode (choosing your own partitions) Cnchi looks for you to mount your existing EFI partition as /boot or if you none is existing to create one (using fat32). In automatic mode cnchi would be using the entire disk so this is not recommended if you have an existing EFI partition.
    1. Will it see my Win8 EFI partition and add the Antergos boot options?[/quote:axg20ypn]Yes, but you will need to use advanced mode and manually mount your partitions as described above.

[/quote:axg20ypn]No sorry not while in testing. Once we finalize the process surrounding UEFI we will be sure to put documentation online.

Let me know if you run into any problems. BTW, Welcome to Antergos!

Best Regards,
    Dustin[/quote:axg20ypn]

Thanks Dustin. I believe I saw the graphical boot screen, but I can’t remember now. I have been running Antergos on my Acer c720p Chromebook and I am now running on a Asus Zenbook ux302la. I typically wipe Windows, but on a new device I like to keep it around for awhile for troubleshooting. Before your response, I had went ahead with the older ISO I mentioned and fixed up grub2/UEFI by booting from the Arch CD and issuing the proper commands. Next time I will try with “testing” or the official ISO if you have certified it there by this time. I am not familiar installing with UEFI at all, so I figured it was time to learn about it.

The Antergos install went well on the ux302la, but I had to boot with i915.modeset=0 at first to at least get to 800x600. Cutting edge HW is so much fun haha! I tried many kernel params to no avail and then after studying all the Intel i915\DRM kernel mainline changes, I decided to throw on 3.14 rc2…bingo! 1920x1080 and brightness is working as well. Lots of changes going on with the Intel video drivers and backlights etc. They are doing good things there, but there have been growing pains as well. I have done a lot of study of the kernel tree and have done a lot tweaking to Android and PC kernels, so I feel at home working with kernel stuff…UEFI/grub2, not so much!

@“Fpsgamer101”:axg20ypn said:

@“lots.0.logs”:axg20ypn said:

[/quote:axg20ypn]The iso automatically detects UEFI systems but I don’t recall if it is made obvious to the user or not. Are you getting a graphical boot screen or just a black terminal screen? (UEFI is just a regular terminal interface)[/quote:axg20ypn]

well actualy some UEFI have 2 options boot as bios or boot as UEFI if bios mode is selected the motherboard tends to “hide” UEFI from the OS all together, so cnchi would have a hard time finding it.
    For example there would be no EFI variables.

also motley what did you m
    ake the USB with and did you make sure you selected the right boot option?

(some motherboards show external devices twice once with “UEFI:” in front of the device name)[/quote:axg20ypn]

Yes Fpsgamer101, this is what I was wondering. I made the USB with “dd”. I didn’t see the external device listed twice in the boot menu like I did with the Arch CD (one for UEFI and then the legacy boot). I wasn’t sure what to think about this. So, after the UEFI grub install appeared to fail, it was off to the Arch Wiki to save the day LOL. Thanks for the reply.

Posts 5Views 951