• Installing on /boot partition

Hello everyone,

I use EasyBCD (from windows) as my dual-boot OS manager, because I’m often trying different distros and it’s easy to handle the boot inicialization. So I have a /boot partition where when I’m installing the distro, I just point there to install GRUB (in my case the /boot is in sda5). This method worked for me to install until now any fedora, debian, *buntu family and OpenSuse, for example.

But when installing both Arch or Antergos, I’ve found that GRUB just could be installed on sda, not on sdaX (where my /boot resides)

Is there some special reason for that? Is it possible to install on this approach?

Yes, some could say it’s nonsense to have 2 boot managers. The reason is that I’m just playing safe, once this is a shared PC and perhaps I may not have enough knowledge to fix if something goes wrong. I’m still learning and hope to not have this kind of problem anytime soon.

Thanks a lot!
    Marcel

• Hello everyone,

I use EasyBCD (from windows) as my dual-boot OS manager, because I’m often trying different distros and it’s easy to handle the boot inicialization. So I have a /boot partition where when I’m installing the distro, I just point there to install GRUB (in my case the /boot is in sda5). This method worked for me to install until now any fedora, debian, *buntu family and OpenSuse, for example.

But when installing both Arch or Antergos, I’ve found that GRUB just could be installed on sda, not on sdaX (where my /boot resides)

Is there some special reason for that? Is it possible to install on this approach?

Yes, some could say it’s nonsense to have 2 boot managers. The reason is that I’m just playing safe, once this is a shared PC and perhaps I may not have enough knowledge to fix if something goes wrong. I’m still learning and hope to not have this kind of problem anytime soon.

Thanks a lot!
    Marcel

• We put it that way because is what it is recommended.

To install it your way you have to edit some code. Maybe we could study the idea, but right now it is not possible, sorry

Posts 3Views 976