• 2 problems: wifi (bcm4331) and mate-menu/mate-applet-streamer

Hi again. I am sorry to bother but I have been trying on my own!
    Before I got problems with wifi I had 2 packages that could not update: mate-menu and mate-applet-streamer. These 2 packages have been i the way since.
    I few days ago I suddenly had problems with wifi. I changed driver from b43 to wl and got a faster connection. Problem solved I thought but today I noticed that even though it “looks” like I am connected I am not. I have changed back and back again. ifconfig, iwlist, ip link, doen´t show any errors. Very strange! The problem probably goes deeper than my knowledge.
    Please try to give an old man a hint!

Womp

• @womp said in 2 problems: wifi (bcm4331) and mate-menu/mate-applet-streamer:

…I had 2 packages that could not update: mate-menu and mate-applet-streamer…

Can’t help you with Wi-Fi, because I never had a Broadcom hardware.

As for 2 packages, it is almost “normal” that it’s impossible to upgrade them. Both were causing problems while Mate was upgraded to 1.14 a week ago in [commuity] repo. This is especially a case if [antergos] repo has a lower priority than [community].

See this thread about mate-applet-streamer and this one about mate-menu related problems.

Briefly, both packages must be removed to upgrade Mate to 1.14. Pay attention that the command is not going to remove other packages needed by Mate:

sudo pacman -Rc mate-menu mate-applet-streamer

mate-menu from [community] may be easily substituted by mate-mint-menu from [antergos] repo. The latter works perfectly now.

Unfortunately, mate-applet-streamer/community currently has no substitutes. We need to use less convenient ways to listen to online radio in Mate.

Good luck.

• @just
    I thank you for your reply! First time this happens to me actually! Now I know how to fix that problem!

Womp

• @womp You’re welcome. We old men should help each other 😉 .

Thanks to your question about mate-applet-streamer I recalled about the good old radiotray from Gnome 2 age.

yaourt -S radiotray

It works and integrates with Mate 1.14 very well. It’s more than a decent substitute for mate-applet-streamer. I think that I’ll continue to use radiotray even when mate-applet-streamer will work again.

Regards

• @Jeannie__ said in 2 problems: wifi (bcm4331) and mate-menu/mate-applet-streamer:

Radiotray is a good replacement…

Oops 🙂 Your post arrived while I was finishing to write the reply to @womp . We got the same idea at the same moment 🙂 .

• I thank you very much for this! I will look into it as soon I as can get connected !! (Writing from a 10 year old HP-desktop computer with an “improvised-trial-and-error” Openbox)

Womp

• Hallo again!
    I have been reading and trying a few solutions or wifi. I did a very drastic rebuild of the whole network on this computer but it didnt solve the problem that I get connected but I can´t do anything on the net. No surf or email. Very strange and I got very tired so I did let this computer (mbp 8,1) rest for 2! days. Today I tried again and now it works fine! I guess it needed the rest! Anyway problem solved (by it self).
    Now I am going to check out the tips and hints for Mate! Thank you guys!

Womp

wifi111 bcm43311 Posts 7Views 1072
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.