• xfce4-notifyd theme(s) not listed

Hey everyone,

I’m running Antergos with XFCE and use Numix-Frost as my GTK-Theme. Everything is fine, except that I cannot choose Numix-Frost as my xfce4-notifyd theme. It only lists the standard ones “Default”, “ZOMG-Ponies!” and “Smoke”. I tried installing numix-themes from the AUR to see if I could choose that one, but I couldn’t. It seems that xfce4-notifyd or xfce4-notifyd-config don’t read from /usr/share/themes/ at all.

This might be of importance: I uninstalled numix-icon-theme-square and use numix-circle-icon-theme-git now, but that shouldn’t have to do anything with it, should it?

Does someone have an idea why it behaves like this?

Thank you in advance, BlkChockr :blush:

• @BlkChockr The reason for this is a recently introduced change in xfce4-notifyd. The change is about where and how xfce4-notifyd looks for the notification theme inside a theme folder.
    This is the exact commit, that introduced the breaking change: https://github.com/xfce-mirror/xfce4-notifyd/commit/a75d021670d31388623c30e6e8f63da70d6c82af
    So earlier notifyd accepted the file xfce-notify-4.0/gtkrc, but now it only looks for a xfce-notify-4.0/gtk.css. Now, I don’t know anything about the background and reason for this change.
    But you’ll be able to use the old styles either when the creator of a given theme becomes aware of this change, and will update their theme, or when xfce developers make the code backwards compatible, so it accepts the old files too.

• Thank you for that info! Maybe I’m going to file an issue in their repo, then. Even though 13 Oct 2015 doesn’t seem that recent :open_mouth:

• @BlkChockr Yeah, that seems a bit odd. Here is the actual commit (the repo on github is only a mirror): https://git.xfce.org/apps/xfce4-notifyd/commit/?id=a75d021670d31388623c30e6e8f63da70d6c82af
    So the change was made in 2015, but it probably was only merged/picked into the master branch recently.

• You’re right, the commit date is “2016-06-29”. I commented on the diff on github, but as you said it’s just a mirror, I’m not sure if they’ll see it…?

• @BlkChockr There doesn’t seem to be much activity on the github repo, it’s entirely possible that nobody pays attention to it. I guess it would be best to make a report on bugzilla . xfce . org . It seems that it wasn’t reported yet.
    Btw I didn’t find any announcement or other info about the change, other than the commit itself.
    I hope merging it wasn’t entirely intentional, because then in the future how could we know whether other things in XFCE begin to break or not?
    The way a change like this should be made is that first you support both the old and the new way, with some kind of a announcement/warning/documentation, that the old way will be deprecated at some point, so that the developers (theme makers) depending on the feature have time to make the necessary changes.

• Ok, I filed a bug here: bugzilla . xfce . org / show_bug.cgi?id=12784. Feel free to comment if you wish :)

themes11 xfce4-notifyd1 notifications8 Posts 7Views 961