• Updated system now unbootable, black screen

Last night I had 14 updates available for my system, I did them as I normally did (didn’t really pay any attention to what was being updated) and it went through, a prompt came up that certain files couldn’t be found,the only one I recall was libc.so and that might even be wrong

I closed the prompt and actually noticed things were misbehaving a bit so restart the computer, GRUB comes up without issue but when the system tries to boot I get some network errors that always happen and then just a plain black screen.

Not 100% certain what is going on, I do have VGA passthrough set-up for a gaming Windows VM and am using the proprietarey Nvidia diriver,though I don’t think that is what is causing the issue. I have been able to load up my system with just the command line, can’t remember the specific kernal parameter now and using journalctl --boot=-1 (I let the system boot then restarted into the command line) it looks like the error before everything goes belly up is the following lines:

libvirtd[445]: unsupported configuration: cannot fine logical volume group name 'windows_gaming’
    libvirtd[445]: internal error: Failed to autostart storage pool ‘windows_vm’: unsupported configuration: cannot find logical volume group name 'windows_gaming’
    libvirtd[445]: cannot open directory ‘/home/richard/OldCompStuff/Stuff 3’: no such file or directory
    libvirtd[445]: internal error: Failed to autostart storage pool ‘Stuff 3’

Also a few lines after that systemd-coredump reports: Process 570 (cinnamon-sessio) of user 1000 dumped core.

Not sure if those lvm’s are causing the issue but the odd thing is I no longer use them anymore, when I was getting things set-up I believe I set-up a lvm called windows_gaming but I abandoned that idea and just have a partition with a qcow file on it. I was fairly certain that I removed the lvm I created. Also that directory used to contain my old HDD’s from my old Windows set-up which is no longer present.

/etc/fstab is not trying to mount any of those locations so I wander if libvirt updated and this new version doesn’t like something I did before that has managed to persist, toruble is I have no idea where to start looking, lvdisplay has no entries in it. I also tried pvdisplay and vgdisplay but they all returned nothing.

Thanks for any help
    Richard

• An update, after some searching I was able to remove the libvirt errors, I had to use
    virsh --pool-undefine <image_name>
    and now those errors have stopped showing up, I still get a error from libvirtd: Internal error:Failed to find path for dmidecode binary but I don’t think this is causing things to fail.

Looking further down through the log the next red section pertains to cinnamon-sessio process doing a core dump, I don’t really understand the stack trace but there is the line #0 0x00007fd53a61404f raise (libc.so.6) and that libc.so is where I thought I saw the error when I did the update.

Looking through the pacman logs I can see that one of the packages updated was linux itself, from version 4.6.4-1 to 4.7-1 and I reckon that is where the issue lies.

I will post again once I have solved this

• It turned out that I had to re-install the Nvidia drivers so in the end quite simple. I downloaded the drivers direct from Nvidia and re-installed them and now working again without issue.

I always had issue using the Nvidia drivers from Pacman, though reckon in this instance custom installing them is what caused my problems to begin with.

Hope this helps someone else.

updated5 black36 system58 unbootable2 Posts 3Views 379