• Default Antergos PATH incorrect?

By default Antergos defines, in /etc/profile, PATH as /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin. I’ve been told these directories are supposed to link elsewhere, but on my system and on the ISO they are actual directories. This leaves out important directories that are typically part of PATH such as /bin, /sbin, and /usr/sbin. The only reason my system is even functional as far as I can tell is because somewhere, sometime, I added the missing directories to my ~/.profile. Is this discrepancy intended?

• @HyperHamster Default Antergos path:

$ echo $PATH
    /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/bin/site_perl:/usr/bin/vendor_perl:/usr/bin/core_perl

/bin, /sbin and /usr/sbin are softlinks to other folders.

• /bin points to /usr/bin, which is in default Antergos path:

$ ls -lh /bin
      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Sep 30  2015 /bin -> usr/bin

• /sbin points to /usr/bin again:

$ ls -lh /sbin
      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Sep 30  2015 /sbin -> usr/bin

• /usr/sbin points to /bin, which in turn points to /usr/bin (see above), which is in default Antergos path:

$ ls -lh /usr/sbin
      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Sep 30  2015 /usr/sbin -> bin

What program(s), not found in default PATH, can not be started?

• Okay, I had my desktop environment, i3, fail to start properly when I commented out my line adding /bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin to my PATH in ~/.profile, but now I’ve just done that again, and it functions perfectly fine. From what I heard I gathered that /usr/bin should be a link to elsewhere not that elsewhere would be a link to it, that didn’t even cross my mind. Anyway, thank you @just for clearing up my confusion. I would consider this solved, even though the only problem here was in my head.

• @HyperHamster said in Default Antergos PATH incorrect?:

…I would consider this solved, even though the only problem here was in my head.

Don’t worry, everything is fine. The most secure way to not make any error is doing nothing :) .

incorrect2 path4 Posts 4Views 501