• Cinnamon applets not showing up

New added Cinnamon applet icons is not showing up on main panel. I know the workaround is to clear the panel and add applets back but it’s quite annoying to do on every new instalation. Is there any issue open about this?

• @thothix Do you mean after a fresh install the cinnamon desktop has no applets enabled in the main panel?

Loves me some rolling distro and Antergos-Arch
    Sys: Antergos + KDE; GTX 1070 + nvidia package :)

• Hi @n_mag
    No, after a fresh install all default applets are enabled. I mean applets added to the panel after the Antergos’ installation are not showing up. And besides that, other applets have its position changed.

• @Jeannie__ I tried now and It has no effect, even rebooting the machine. Cinnamon’s log shows the applets started. but no icons for the manual installed applets, only the default ones from installation! :(

• @thothix I’d have to take a guess and say that you may have installed incompatible applets by force. I’ve never gone outside the guided menu to add applets, and I also read the the description for them because there are many, MANY, of the applets which get out of date with cinnamon because Arch gets way ahead of the likes of Linux Mint users where Linux Mint is the main consumer of Cinnamon… so the applets don’t tend to update that often…
    TL;DR: I’m guessing you have some out-of-date applets that aren’t working, if not I’ll try to think of something else :)

• @thothix Also, I found this article that might help you look around for some offending files and such in the logs. Please report what you find, cuz I have a feeling any fixes you come with that I’ll run into this issue as well and need the solution like you do.
    http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/214472/where-is-the-cinnamon-lookingglass-log

• Hello,

I want to confirm this same issue.

I have a freshly installed Antergos Linux with cinnamon. Adding applets to the panel does not work. They do not show up. Instead the applet dialog indicates an issue with a red warning icon: 0_1473420038661_Bildschirmfoto vom 2016-09-09 12-54-59.png

glass.log is not showing any error but instead says that the applet was loaded:
    info t=2016-09-09T10:54:48.612Z 0 applet already loaded
    info t=2016-09-09T10:54:48.854Z Loaded applet [email protected] in 244 ms
    info t=2016-09-09T10:54:48.882Z Hiding systray: network
    info t=2016-09-09T10:54:48.883Z Adding systray: pamac-tray (24x24px)
    info t=2016-09-09T10:54:48.884Z Adding systray: blueberry-tray.py (24x24px)
    info t=2016-09-09T10:54:50.385Z Resized pamac-tray with normalized size (22x22px)
    info t=2016-09-09T10:54:50.386Z Resized blueberry-tray.py with normalized size (22x22px)

As mentioned in the original posting, the default applets change position after that. Start menu,for example, is moving to the right side:
    0_1473420166769_Bildschirmfoto vom 2016-09-09 12-55-32.png

I need to restore default values to get it back to normal. I have no clue what is going on and do not know how to debug this further.

Any ideas?
    Matthias

• I have a workaround:
    I can add applets to the panel when I edit dconf with dconf-editor ->cinnamon->enabled-applets.
    Very strange.
    Matthias

• Thanks @mbod for your informations!
    I guess I found the problem.
    The dconf key “next-applet-id” (dconf-editor->cinnamon->next-applet-id) is the source of the issue.
    Its value is “0” on clean installation and it must be “12” (number of installed applets plus one).
    Change this solve the issue.
    By the way, I’m not waiting for this anymore, it was one month ago. I’m using ApricityOS Cinnamon that’s working fine out of the box.

Some devel to address this (to other Cinnamon’s users)?

• Thank you, Thothix. I can confirm that this is the issue.

Not sure if that is an Antergos configuration issue or a cinnamon out-of-the-box issue.
    I have a bug report open for cinnamon and added the info there as well: github cinnamon bug report.

Lets see what happens next…

• Confirm that bug on a recently fresh install of Antergos Cinnamon

Antergos Gnome - Lenovo G4070
    Antergos XFCE (Ex-Mate) - Dell D630
    Antergos Cinnamon - Asus E-11
    Puppy Linux Precise 5.7.1 - Asus 701 EEEpc
    Puppy Linux Lxpuptahr USB live - All machines

• @thothix Thank you! that solved the problem.

Antergos Gnome - Lenovo G4070
    Antergos XFCE (Ex-Mate) - Dell D630
    Antergos Cinnamon - Asus E-11
    Puppy Linux Precise 5.7.1 - Asus 701 EEEpc
    Puppy Linux Lxpuptahr USB live - All machines

• @thothix said in Cinnamon applets not showing up:

Thanks @mbod for your informations!
    The dconf key “next-applet-id” (dconf-editor->cinnamon->next-applet-id) is the source of the issue.
    Its value is “0” on clean installation and it must be “12” (number of installed applets plus one).
    By the way, I’m not waiting for this anymore, it was one month ago. I’m using ApricityOS Cinnamon that’s working fine out of the box.

Forgive me for being dense… I have been using Linux for a long time and have been distro hopping in an attempt to get the brightness controls (the FN+brightness buttons aren’t working, so I was looking for distros with an applet on the panel) to work on my new Acer Cloudbook… I have never used dconf-editor, and am not sure how to make the stated changes. LXLE is looking like an option, as well as Antergos Gnome, but I wanted to try Cinnamon (I looked at screenshots and saw it has an applet available for brightness… which I hope will work, when I added the applet in Apricity it showed up but had no effect on brightness… The controls did work in LXLE and Antergos Gnome, so I if I can’t figure this out, or the applet does not work I will likely migrate back to one of those… I prefer rolling distros, which LXLE is not…).

So anyone want to tell me the basics of using dconf-editor? Thanks!!

• Hi, well i bought a new monitor and it was very hard to use the pc with such a bright, i looked for a programm and didn’t find one that worked here. At the end i found some terminal commands to fix it and i found it so usefull to me.

the instruction was:

Open your terminal and type this
    xrandr -q | grep " connected"
    it will gives you the output as LVDS1 connected 1680x1050+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 331mm x 207mm
    There LVDS1 Stands for your display .
    so now you have to do as
    xrandr --output LVDS1 --brightness 0.5
    there 0.5 stands for brightness and it ranges from 0.0 to 1.0 . 0.0 -> Full black .so you have to choose the required value of brightness .

the original site if you want to check:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/149054/how-to-change-lcd-brightness-from-command-line-or-via-script

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @fernandomaroto

Cool. Thanks. I had run across similar directions elsewhere. It is working, but I was hoping to get the applet going, even if my FN button doesn’t. I can use this in the meantime though!

Is there a way to create the Linux equivalent of a DOS batch file for this (I could have one saved for various levels and just keep them on the desktop to click on)…? I have written a script saved in a text file (that I make executable) to change my resolution to 1280*720 when no 720 option existed in my monitor settings… I guess I can open it back up and rewrite the code to adjust brightness instead…

If someone could explain or direct me to info about gsettings/dconf editor so I can also attempt to get the applets going I would love that! I would like to add more than just the brightness one, but they are not working as described by others here.

edit: Alternatively, I may just reinstall antergos with the Gnome desktop since it did have a functioning brightness control built in… I’ve just always preferred XFCE, LXDE, Mate, etc… I like low resource usage and simplicity. :)

Thanks!

• You’re welcome. Here i configured the bright to be changed at startup, so yes you can create some different scripts, you can create app launchers, like shortcuts, links (i don’t know if is the tecnical term in english).

But hey, if gnome desktop has a bright control you can install it on your XFCE or whatever desktop you’re using right? I’m newbie but for now i can run any other desktop app… You just need to discover it’s name, and install it, than report back and i’ll install here too hehehehe.

Good luck.

I3wm - Mate desktop
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB

• @fernandomaroto

Haha, I am not really sure how that would work (I might look into it), but since I have not really installed or changed anything I might just do a fresh install instead… I tested Siduction Linux and it controls the brightness with the keyboard FN+brightness buttons… So I have a decision to make! Also, all those names work just fine in English!

Thank you for responding!

• @fernandomaroto

Fernando, I just noticed that when I click on the battery in the system tray it lets me change the brightness there… I did not notice that before updating, but maybe that control was already built in, like it is in gnome? Anyway, I still would like to be able to add applets, but am unsure of how to use the dconf editor, as Thothix suggested above… I’ll wait it out a day or three, and then might install Siduction instead… Best wishes Fernando and thanks for your help!

@thothix said in Cinnamon applets not showing up:

Thanks @mbod for your informations!

• @mr_y82
    Hi, well i use a desktop pc not a notebook, but for me that command work pretty good, since i just need to discover the ideal bright for me, then i set it on startup and that’s it.
    I’m not pretty confortable editing dconf as well…
    I never tried siduction, but i tested more than 50 distros till i found Antergos, wich was the best for my needs. This is exactly what many people say: you need to find the best distro for what you want; anyway Antergos will be allways waiting for you again. hehehe
    Good luck :p

I3wm - Mate desktop
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB

• @fernandomaroto

I have spreadsheets and google docs with a boatload of notes about brightness controls, touchpad options, available software, etc… about dozens of distros… I have a few that I seem to come back to… I know exactly what you mean… some distros are almost perfect, but then the “tap to click” option just won’t work on my Acer, or they have some other minor, but frustrating issue… Looks like I might have to go non-rolling for the first time… Linux Mint (one of the first distros I used) XFCE LTS looks like it is leading the pack (strangely), even the rolling debian version of Mint has issues with my Acer (brightness adjustment in battery applet, but it does not actually change brightness)… I just could not quite find a rolling distro that worked (did not try gentoo) and my first attempt to install (debian based) Siduction on the Acer failed… It gets a little weird with UEFI, so I might have to try that again… I found some directions that should make it work.

Cheers and thanks again for all your support !

cinnamon66 showing5 applets1 Posts 21Views 2769