• Cannot boot into installed OS after trying out Antergos

Hello There,
    after giving Antergos a try via a USB Stick, i cannot boot back into my installed OS [crunchbang]
    When trying to access my Harddrive with gparted it crashes with the notification
    Input/output error during read on /dev/sda
    Newbie is lost, please help

• Hello There,
    after giving Antergos a try via a USB Stick, i cannot boot back into my installed OS [crunchbang]
    When trying to access my Harddrive with gparted it crashes with the notification
    Input/output error during read on /dev/sda
    Newbie is lost, please help

• It kinda sounds like you didn’t format your sda1 partition. Make sure format? is checked, and that you have set your mount points properly.

Usually /dev/sda1 is best for swap, as this is the closest to the center of the disk for speed. 2Gb to 3Gb is usually enough. Set Type: to swap. Mark it for Format.

Next, sda2 is great for root /. 17Gb to 30Gb is good. Set Type: to ext4 (default). Mark it for format.

Next, sda3 is good for your home partition. Your username partition will be under /home/username. This partition you can keep anytime in the future after formating it now, will not need to format it again. This makes life very convenient as all your setup, and much of your data files will be in there. This way, if you ever have to reinstall your OS (shouldn’t need to, BTW), then your home partition will still be there waiting for you. Somewhere between 11Gb and 17Gb should be plenty. Mark it format for this first time.

Next, sda4 is great for the rest of the drive as storage for all the rest of your data. This you can set the type as, again, ext4 and you will need to type in the mount point as something like this: /home/yourusername/STORAGE (upper or lower case is ok). Mark it format for now, and in case of reinstall or such, you will not want to refomat it again as that will wipe your data.

Your username will be the same as the one you set for your login name in a step or two after this point of (advanced) partitioning.

If you let Cnchi take your whole disk and automatically partition it for you, then you may have a different problem.

If CrunchBang was already installed, and you wanted to keep it next to (dualboot) Antergos, then you will need to provide more information about your existing partition setup, and how you want to partition it now for that purpose.

If this doesn’t help, then you will need to ask Dustin or Gustau for more help.

In God's love,
    †MaNNa <{{{\>< …to You all thanks and glory Lord Yeshua!

And Jesus prayed to The Father, "And this is the way to ete…

• thanks for your reply, but i didn’t install Antergos, i just tried it out on a USB-Stick in Live-mode, but now i cannot boot into my installed OS (Crunchbang).
    I just get some failure notifications:

-Buffer I/O errror on device sda6

-logical block 0

• failed command READ DMA

before that, everything was working/booting ok.

Any guesses?

• It then sounds like a possible hardware problem. Did you open your case? Move any cables?

What did you do exactly while you were in Live mode?

In God's love,

• nope, didn’t open the case etc, and as i was just trying out basic stuff in Live-Mode, i cannot think of anything i did to cause this.

• What did you do *exactly* while in live mode?

In God's love,

• The same stuff i always do when i try out an OS in Live-Mode. Any changes i make are on my USB-Drive and therefore should be and as in this case are reverted back after a reboot.
    The problem is not being able to boot back into my installed OS, so any help trying to figure out how to solve this are still welcome.

• It then sounds like that since you are a newbie, that you made changes to somewhere different than what you thought.

Not only that, the Antergos USB does not have a persistant partition (like some other distros do have) to make any changes to. So this means that the changes that you mentioned were made to your hard disk.

Sorry, sounds like you will need to start over.

Once Dustin or Gustau get online, one of them may have other info for you as well.

All the best in getting this working, as I know how frustrating this can be.

In God's love,

• @“gboom”:2effkag3 said:

-Buffer I/O errror on device sda6

-logical block 0

• failed command READ DMA[/quote:2effkag3]
      This implies that either your data on sda6 has been corrupted in some way OR that your entire drive (sda) is failing. I/O errors are almost always due to hardware problems.

Our live image could not have caused this issue b/c it does not touch your system’s drives. Did you manually mount your systems drive’s and make any changes? Perhaps using gparted? There are many things that can be done to troubleshoot this. It would help to narrow down the possibilities if you could tell us EXACTLY what you did while you were using the live environment. That being said, the first thing I would try is to run fsck on the partition sda6 like this:

sudo fsck -a sda6

I would do that for each of your partitions. Also once that is done, I would make sure that my grub config is actually pointing to the correct partition. For that you will first have to install arch-install-scripts (the live cd does not have them) and then run grub-mkconfig like this:

sudo pacman -Sy arch-install-scripts --noconfirm  
    > sudo mount /dev/sdaX /mnt  
    > sudo arch-chroot /mnt  
    > grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

If your crunchbang /boot is on a separate partition than you need to do this instead:

sudo pacman -Sy arch-install-scripts --noconfirm  
    > sudo mount /dev/sdaX /mnt  
    > sudo mount /dev/sdaX /mnt/boot  
    > sudo arch-chroot /mnt  
    > grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Remember to replace “X” with the correct partition number. You can view a list of all partitions on the drive by using:

sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda

Hopefully that helps. Let us know the result.

Best Regards,

• thanks for taking care of me!
    Here are a few results:

sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda

Disk /dev/sda: 465,8 GiB, 500107862016 bytes, 976773168 sectors  
    Units: Sektoren of 1 \* 512 = 512 bytes  
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes  
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes  
    Disklabel type: dos  
    Disk identifier: 0x0000bb82  

Gerät Boot Start Ende Blocks Id System  
    /dev/sda1 \* 2048 19531775 9764864 83 Linux  
    /dev/sda2 19533822 976771071 478618625 5 Extended  
    /dev/sda5 19533824 32106495 6286336 82 Linux swap / Solaris  
    /dev/sda6 32108544 976771071 472331264 83 Linux  

every sudo fsck -a sdaX resulted in this:

fsck von util-linux 2.24

sudo mount /dev/sdaX /mn

[antergos@Antergos ~]$ sudo mount /dev/sdaX /mnt  
    mount: /dev/sdaX is write-protected, mounting read-only  
    mount: special device /dev/sdaX does not exist  

• You must change the “X” to your actual partition.

• Other than that i didn’t really do anything experimental during my live-session.
    Tried installing firefox and vlc and watched a bit of a movie in vlc, that’s when my harddrive was still recognized.
    Now it doesn’t show any more and gparted & Cnchi both fail to start too.
    I never touched anything important, as it was just a regular live-mode which i have done before using other distros, just my first time doing it in an arch-based environment.

And

[antergos@Antergos ~]$ sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt  
    mount: /dev/sda1 is already mounted or /mnt busy  
    /dev/sda1 is already mounted on /mnt  

[antergos@Antergos ~]$ sudo mount /dev/sda6 /mnt  
    mount: /dev/sda6 is write-protected, mounting read-only  
    mount: /dev/sda6: can't read superblock  

• Hi,

Let’s try to solve this in little steps.

Please, boot with the USB stick into Antergos Live.

Open a terminal, and mount your sda6 like this:

sudo mount /dev/sda6 /mnt

And then just do an ls of /mnt and post it here:

ls -l /mnt

I think that sda6 is your root partition and sda1 your boot partition. Will see…

• [antergos@Antergos ~]$ sudo mount /dev/sda6 /mnt  
    mount: /dev/sda6 is write-protected, mounting read-only  
    mount: /dev/sda6: can't read superblock  
    [antergos@Antergos ~]$   

[antergos@Antergos ~]$ ls -l /mnt  
    total 100  
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Nov 30 09:41 bin  
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Dec 26 09:30 boot  
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Nov 30 09:22 dev  
    drwxr-xr-x 128 root root 12288 Feb 5 12:00 etc  
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Nov 30 09:22 home  
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 Nov 30 09:42 initrd.img -\> boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-4-686-pae  
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 32 Nov 30 09:22 initrd.img.old -\> /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-4-686-pae  
    drwxr-xr-x 15 root root 4096 Nov 30 09:26 lib  
    drwx------ 2 root root 16384 Nov 30 09:22 lost+found  
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Feb 5 11:52 media  
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 14 2012 mnt  
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Feb 4 16:31 opt  
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 14 2012 proc  
    drwx------ 16 root root 4096 Feb 4 16:31 root  
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Nov 30 09:27 run  
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Nov 30 09:41 sbin  
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jun 10 2012 selinux  
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 May 6 2013 srv  
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Feb 8 2013 sys  
    drwxrwxrwt 5 root root 4096 Feb 5 12:00 tmp  
    drwxr-xr-x 10 root root 4096 Nov 30 09:24 usr  
    drwxr-xr-x 11 root root 4096 Nov 30 09:28 var  
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 28 Nov 30 09:42 vmlinuz -\> boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-686-pae  
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 28 Nov 30 09:24 vmlinuz.old -\> boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-686-pae  

• Ok sda6 is your root partition. Starting from where you left off in the previous step please post the results of:

ls -l /mnt/boot

I suspect there wont be anything in the results. If there are no results let’s try and mount sda1 to see if it is in fact your boot partition:

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot

Now post the output from:

ls -l /mnt/boot

Cheers!

Posts 16Views 1379