• Private Internet Access VPN

I have been chasing my tail trying to get PIA up and running. I installed the PIA package but am unable to connect. I then went with the Openvpn route which I am most familiar with but that doesn’t work as well.

Any ideas? I figured this would be easier than it seems!

Thanks.

• Hi,

I have no idea how to setup openvpn, but I’ve found this old post (2013!) from Allan McRae that maybe helps you: http://allanmcrae.com/2013/09/routing-traffic-with-openvpn/

I would also check the Arch wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/OpenVPN

Hope this helps.

• Follow the directions in this link exactly:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Private_Internet_Access_VPN

This is the method I followed and PIA works great.

• @bmeister
    That is exactly what I did several times using the wiki. I will check the post karasu provided.

Thanks

I tried again and get the following error when running pia -a

pia -a
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/bin/pia", line 9, in <module>
        load_entry_point('pia==2.8.2', 'console_scripts', 'pia')()
      File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pia/command_line.py", line 23, in main
        pia.run.run()
      File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pia/run.py", line 60, in run
        [globals()[k]() for k, v in props.commandline.__dict__.items() if
      File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pia/run.py", line 61, in <listcomp>
        not k == 'hosts' and getattr(props.commandline, k, None)]
      File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pia/run.py", line 111, in auto_configure
        app.config(*getattr(openvpn, config))
      File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pia/applications/appstrategy.py", line 82, in config
        self.app.config(config_id, filename)
      File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pia/applications/hooks.py", line 149, in config
        username, password = get_login_credentials(settings.LOGIN_CONFIG)
      File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pia/utils/misc.py", line 67, in get_login_credentials
        with p.open() as f:
      File "/usr/lib/python3.5/pathlib.py", line 1151, in open
        opener=self._opener)
    IsADirectoryError: [Errno 21] Is a directory: '/etc/private-internet-access/login.conf'

Thanks for any help

Edit: Networkmanager seems to have no daemon per systemd. Is this relevant?

• Yes, NetworkManager should have a daemon.

sudo systemctl status NetworkManager

It should be loaded and active. Y
    If it is loaded but not active then:

sudo systemctl enable NetworkManager
    sudo systemctl start NetworkManager

You also need networkmanager-openvpn installed. Are you running pia-a as root?

Did you get any errors when PIA was being built from the AUR?

• Thanks for responding. I hope this helps.

pia-a is run as root;

networkmanger-openvpn is installed as well as PIA-tools;

During installation I get an error at the very end "error: unable to run hook pia-install.hook: could not satisfy dependencies"
    Transaction successfully finished.

When checking the Networkmanager status I get:

sudo systemctl status NetworkManager
    ● NetworkManager.service - Network Manager
       Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager.service; enabled; vend
       Active: active (running) since Wed 2016-07-27 18:41:16 EDT; 2min 59s ago
     Main PID: 375 (NetworkManager)
        Tasks: 3 (limit: 512)
       CGroup: /system.slice/NetworkManager.service
               └─375 /usr/bin/NetworkManager --no-daemon

Edit: In AUR there is a network-openvpn-gtk2. Not sure if that helps.

• Which desktop are you using?

I have used Gnome, KDE and Cinnamon all with success using PIA. Currently using KDE (Plasma)

• Gnome for the first time.

Edit: Just heard from PIA. They are having the same issue with Anteros as I am. They are going to talk to the developers.

• You don’t need PIA tools. Remove it. All you need is the private-internet-access-vpn package. You may have a conflict. Remove both and then install private-internet-access-vpn again. Follow wiki I posted earlier.

• @parkslope said in Private Internet Access VPN:

Gnome for the first time.

Edit: Just heard from PIA. They are having the same issue with Anteros as I am. They are going to talk to the developers.

Interesting, I didn’t see any comments on the package site about it. So you posted on the PIA website?

Here you can post directly to Arch package maintainer:
    https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/private-internet-access-vpn/

• Yes, PIA has an Arch guru who has replicated my issue. I tried as you instructed, but no dice. There are unmet dependencies.

Tomorrow, I will contact AUR/Arch.

I do appreciate all the time you gave to me. I will report back if PIA can figure this out.

FYI: I did as you said and uninstalled everything. Rebooted and still can’t connect to PIA.

Oh well.

• You’re welcome and I hope they get things resolved soon!

• Well it took some research but I got PIA to work with the following link for Manjaro. Important to use the manual openvpn config instructions. But it does work.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/discussion/18041/openvpn-step-by-step-setup-for-manjaro-linux-with-video

internet17 private2 vpn9 Posts 13Views 2829