• Antergos development in other languages

Hi. I’ve been an Arch Linux user for the last three years.
    Yet i still hate installations, not that i don’t know how to do them, but they are just boring to do.
    When Arch Installation Framework was gone i just felt that it would get even worst, and always used alternative scripts since then.
    After some time, when cnchi appeared, i just was glad to have such a great tool to save me about an hour for every install, and after all i want to do something useful for it and Antergos itself.
    I feel than Antergos has a large margin for improvements, and i would like to get some things done to be reviewed and possibly included in the project, but from what i could see in a few minutes, you guys are using python and bash everywhere, and i am not great at bash, nor know python.
    Right now i am learning Ruby, know some Java (but hate it) and C but don’t know much of it.
    Is there any way to contribute to a python exclusive project under such conditions? Is Ruby a ok for you?

Thanks for your great work by the way

• Hi. I’ve been an Arch Linux user for the last three years.
    Yet i still hate installations, not that i don’t know how to do them, but they are just boring to do.
    When Arch Installation Framework was gone i just felt that it would get even worst, and always used alternative scripts since then.
    After some time, when cnchi appeared, i just was glad to have such a great tool to save me about an hour for every install, and after all i want to do something useful for it and Antergos itself.
    I feel than Antergos has a large margin for improvements, and i would like to get some things done to be reviewed and possibly included in the project, but from what i could see in a few minutes, you guys are using python and bash everywhere, and i am not great at bash, nor know python.
    Right now i am learning Ruby, know some Java (but hate it) and C but don’t know much of it.
    Is there any way to contribute to a python exclusive project under such conditions? Is Ruby a ok for you?

Thanks for your great work by the way

• Hi,

I’m glad to hear that our little project has been useful to you!

Cheers!

[0]: <a href=
    [1]: http://github.com/Antergos

• Thanks for your answer.
    Well, to be honest i still haven’t made an installation with the latest cnchi (0.5?), but at least with the November(?) ISO i noticed some details that could be improved.

I like the idea of an ability to change the default applications eg. a switch between chromium and firefox, have to choose a theme to install and if possible host the most used gs/cinnamon/gtk/qt themes (the ones not present in the official repos) in your repos
    It would also be nice to have cnchi syncing with your repo looking for package templates, i mean custom OS builds, made by users.

I have nothing really really needed to do, i just want to improve something and gain some experience in ruby. But i got nothing to do with ruby in your project, and probably you don’t want to mix another language(probably unknown to most dev’s) in your project with the main focus(cnchi).

EDIT:
    If you don’t mind, whats the current focus of development on cnchi? Whats scheduled to be completed in the near/far future?

• @“claudiop”:2qeh4n6l said:

but at least with the November(?) ISO i noticed some details that could be improved.
    [/quote:2qeh4n6l]Much has changed since then!

@“claudiop”:2qeh4n6l said:

like the idea of an ability to change the default applications eg. a switch between chromium and firefox, have to choose a theme to install and[/quote:2qeh4n6l]We have discussed this a few times and while we havent made any final decisions, what we do not want is to wind up with an install process thats overly long and asks too many questions. Its a balancing act for sure, but we’ve managed thus far

if possible host the most used gs/cinnamon/gtk/qt themes (the ones not present in the official repos) in your repos[/quote:2qeh4n6l]I’m not opposed to this, though we have to be cautious not to bite off more than we can chew as they say. If we can’t maintain the packages for our users reliably then we wont serve them in our repo

It would also be nice to have cnchi syncing with your repo looking for package templates, i mean custom OS builds, made by users.[/quote:2qeh4n6l]We have something very similar to this planned but its not even started yet.

If you don’t mind, whats the current focus of development on cnchi? Whats scheduled to be completed in the near/far future?[/quote:2qeh4n6l]We plan to bring Cnchi to a nice stable v1.0 after which we will continue development but at a slower pace so we can work on other things. Next on our list is an App-Centric Package Utility for discovering, installing, & removing packages. Also as I mentioned already there is the user profile repository for quick backup and restore of account settings and themes. Beyond that I couldnt say as we havent decided

Cheers!

• @“lots.0.logs”:2uuk0qrl said:

@“claudiop”:2uuk0qrl said:

but at least with the November(?) ISO i noticed some details that could be improved.
    [/quote:2uuk0qrl]Much has changed since then! [/quote:2uuk0qrl]
    I’ll verify tomorrow, just got 5 more fresh computers with windows, ready to do some damage.
    @“lots.0.logs”:2uuk0qrl said:

like the idea of an ability to change the default applications eg. a switch between chromium and firefox, have to choose a theme to install and[/quote:2uuk0qrl]We have discussed this a few times and while we havent made any final decisions, what we do not want is to wind up with an install process thats overly long and asks too many questions. Its a balancing act for sure, but we’ve managed thus far
    Well, at least in my point of view its quite easy to solve:

Do you wan't to customize your setup? [Yes/No]

if possible host the most used gs/cinnamon/gtk/qt themes (the ones not present in the official repos) in your repos[/quote:2uuk0qrl]I’m not opposed to this, though we have to be cautious not to bite off more than we can chew as they say. If we can’t maintain the packages for our users reliably then we wont serve them in our repo
    [/quote:2uuk0qrl]
    Ofc, was just a suggestion of an improvement. I don’t know how many Dev’s you have (4/5, too far?

It would also be nice to have cnchi syncing with your repo looking for package templates, i mean custom OS builds, made by users.[/quote:2uuk0qrl]We have something very similar to this planned but its not even started yet.[/quote:2uuk0qrl]
    Then what if there was for some random reason a whole Ruby module to do the task?
    If the whole module is made optional to cnchi, then there would be not any need to mix languages.

Next on our list is an App-Centric Package Utility for discovering, installing, & removing packages. Also as I mentioned already there is the user profile repository for quick backup and restore of account settings and themes.[/quote:2uuk0qrl]
    You mean pacaur?
    I think it is quite good for replacing the pacman -SURiokyfjilçbygvfcteycuiou (random keyboard rage)
    Or something more like packagekit?
    To be direct, what would it do that pacaur wouldn’t? Or you mean a GUI for pacaur/yaourt?

Thanks for your answers

• @“claudiop”:1zma37hd said:

Then what if there was for some random reason a whole Ruby module to do the task?
    If the whole module is made optional to cnchi, then there would be not any need to mix languages.[/quote:1zma37hd]I’m open to the idea but I dont know anything about ruby…only that I had the hardest time on the few occasions I wanted to install a ruby gem packages (@^#&%*^(#*) lol This would be a discussion for the mailing list, PM me your e-mail address and I’ll get you added.

@“claudiop”:1zma37hd said:

Or you mean a GUI for pacaur/yaourt?[/quote:1zma37hd]Well of course I mean a GUI! The last thing we need is another pacman/aur command line wrapper

Cheers!

Posts 7Views 1266