• Switching Desktops questions

Hi. I installed Antergos recently, and of course love it so far.

I installed with the choice of Cinnamon, but would like to try other desktops. I imagine that it could be as easy as selecting them from the display manager, but am curious about the installation of a particular desktop, and how it may affect my installation. I have yet to install any deepin packages. I thought I would check here first just in case there may be issues. I hope this is the proper forum.

Does my installing of it negatively affect my current set up in any ways? By that, I mean does it damage my Cinnamon set up?

I am kind of new at experimenting with desktops, so I hope you can forgive what might be a dumb question. I am just paranoid a tiny bit.

• I’d say only one thing. Do not mix different DEs in one partition. Sooner or later it will lead you into a trouble.

Create as many 20G partitions as you need. Install all DEs you’re interested in into separate partitions.

Follow a simple rule: one partition - one DE.

• @just said in Switching Desktops questions:

I’d say only one thing. Do not mix different DEs in one partition. Sooner or later it will lead you into a trouble.

Create as many 20G partitions as you need. Install all DEs you’re interested in into separate partitions.

Follow a simple rule: one partition - one DE.

Please forgive my ignorance. Are you suggesting I have multiple installations of Antergos, one per DE?

• @schick said in Switching Desktops questions:

…Are you suggesting I have multiple installations of Antergos, one per DE?

Yes, exactly.

• why not use virtualbox? that will keep your main desktop nice and clean :+1:

• @megaman said in Switching Desktops questions:

why not use virtualbox? that will keep your main desktop nice and clean :+1:

Very interesting idea. I would never have thought of that. worth a try.

• Good that i read this. I am also thinking to check out some other DE’s. But why is there then the menu with DE list on the login screen?

• Try creating separate users for each DE.
    Best not to mingle DE’s on one user.

• Thanks. Anyway i use more then one user. But never heard this.
    How do you use a separate DE per user?

• I have never done it, so I cannot take parts on this. But it was a good chance to do some searching. Actually, the advice I saw given is that there is no risk messing with different libraries since there are already installed mixed packages.
    The only drawback mentioned was unnecessary dependencies pulled in which take up disk space (which is cheap nowadays, anyway)…:eyes:

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• another option until we figure out the correct way to install virtualbox is to just go to another distro that has that DE in Live CD. then you can sample without installing anything. of course you wont get the custom Antergos look for each one but if will give you an idea on how the DE works and feels.

• I’ve been using Antergos with Gnome and Cinnamon for more than a year and I experienced no problems, as these 2 DEs share many common files. I would not create separate users for each DE as this may compromise file sharing.

Intel NUC D54250WYK, 16 Gb RAM, 1 Tb SSD
    Multi -boot (no MS-Win &no UEFI) Legacy MBR with GPT

• So, for some it works for some not. I was thinking that the digital world was 0 or 1, yes or no, but there seams more going on then we know. :-)
    Is there somebody that has experience with switching between Gnome and LXQt?

switching5 desktops2 Posts 13Views 1154