• Need help. I broke my system trying to downgrade nvidia.

Hello

So i stupidly tried to downgrade my nvidia driver to 304xx and now i only get a black screen upon boot.
    I tried:

• To get to a console via keyboard shortcuts but to no avail.
    • To add nomodeset in grub but it didn’t work either.
    • To replace nvidia driver in xorg.conf with nouveau by mounting the ext4 partition on windows but that didn’t help either.

Do i have any chance to recover this somehow? Are there any boot parameters in grub that i could try? Or do i need to redownload antergos and install it again?

• Hi,

1. Boot with a live USB
    2. chroot to your installation (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/change_root)
    3. Remove or update your nvidia driver

Tell us if you have any questions.

• Thank you soo much!

I was already preparing my mind to wipe the HDD but now Antergos works again. Thanks!

Edit: Quick question… which is the recommended driver for a nVidia 750GTI card?

• Many users reported bad experiences with the open source driver (nouveau) but I’m very happy with it, go figure…

For GeForce 400 series cards and newer [NVCx and newer], install the nvidia or nvidia->lts package along with nvidia-libgl. (The very latest GPU models, may require the >nvidia-beta AUR package, as stable drivers may not support the newly introduced >features).

For GeForce 8000/9000, ION and 100-300 series cards [NV5x, NV8x, NV9x and NVAx] >from around 2006-2010, install the nvidia-340xx or nvidia-340xx-lts package along with >nvidia-340xx-libgl.

For GeForce 6000/7000 series cards [NV4x and NV6x] from around 2004-2006, install >the nvidia-304xx or nvidia-304xx-lts package along with nvidia-304xx-libgl.

More info: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA

Cheers!

• @damnit you can always test yourself and see what works best. myself on Nvidia i always used the non free drivers but you might find the free ones work just fine.

system127 broke24 help18 downgrade5 Posts 5Views 1467
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.