• Like 0

Need help. I broke my system trying to downgrade nvidia.

Hello

So i stupidly tried to downgrade my nvidia driver to 304xx and now i only get a black screen upon boot.
    I tried:

• To get to a console via keyboard shortcuts but to no avail.
    • To add nomodeset in grub but it didn’t work either.
    • To replace nvidia driver in xorg.conf with nouveau by mounting the ext4 partition on windows but that didn’t help either.

Do i have any chance to recover this somehow? Are there any boot parameters in grub that i could try? Or do i need to redownload antergos and install it again?

• Like 0

Hi,

1. Boot with a live USB
    2. chroot to your installation (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/change_root)
    3. Remove or update your nvidia driver

Tell us if you have any questions.

• Like 1

Thank you soo much!

I was already preparing my mind to wipe the HDD but now Antergos works again. Thanks!

Edit: Quick question… which is the recommended driver for a nVidia 750GTI card?

• Like 0

Many users reported bad experiences with the open source driver (nouveau) but I’m very happy with it, go figure…

For GeForce 400 series cards and newer [NVCx and newer], install the nvidia or nvidia->lts package along with nvidia-libgl. (The very latest GPU models, may require the >nvidia-beta AUR package, as stable drivers may not support the newly introduced >features).

For GeForce 8000/9000, ION and 100-300 series cards [NV5x, NV8x, NV9x and NVAx] >from around 2006-2010, install the nvidia-340xx or nvidia-340xx-lts package along with >nvidia-340xx-libgl.

For GeForce 6000/7000 series cards [NV4x and NV6x] from around 2004-2006, install >the nvidia-304xx or nvidia-304xx-lts package along with nvidia-304xx-libgl.

More info: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA

Cheers!

• Like 0

@damnit you can always test yourself and see what works best. myself on Nvidia i always used the non free drivers but you might find the free ones work just fine.

system41 help12 broke11 downgrade4 Posts 5Views 399