• Cinnamon - can't add icon to desktop - desktop icons enabled

Greetings.

I had to make fresh install of Antergos and I have chosen Cinnamon as a desktop environment.

I can’t add shortcuts from menu, but I enabled icons on desktop in Cinnamon settings and currently I have icons like home folder, mounted devices, trash etc.

What is more, when I copy some file from pendrive to desktop, it is copied to the Desktop catalog, but I don’t have an icon of this file on the desktop.

Previously i used MATE and i didn’t have such problem. I have no idea how to solve it.

I would be very grateful for help.

• @povc Please, post back the output of the command:

xdg-mime query default inode/directory

• @just said in Cinnamon - can't add icon to desktop - desktop icons enabled:

xdg-mime query default inode/directory

It is simply

[[email protected] ~]$ xdg-mime query default inode/directory
    nautilus.desktop
    [[email protected] ~]$ 

• @povc OK. It’s the expected output.

With dconf-editor (install it if it’s missing) set org.gnome.desktop.background --> show-desktop-icons to true.

Everything placed in the ~/Desktop folder will be also shown on the desktop.

As a collateral effect, the desktop’s background may be temporarily reset to default Antergos’ blue one. Simply set it back to your preferred background.

Beware: this is a one-way solution. Even if you set org.gnome.desktop.background.show-desktop-icons back to false desktop icons will continue to be displayed.

• @just The success is partial. Now I have icons when I copy files to the desktop, but I can’t add shortcuts from the menu - nothing happens when I click “add to desktop”. I also can’t create shortcuts by drag and drop. Maybe I have to change some settings of the menu also?

• @povc said in Cinnamon - can't add icon to desktop - desktop icons enabled:

…I also can’t create shortcuts by drag and drop…

Have you already tried this method?

• @just From which catalog am I supposed to make links so that I could have shortcuts on the desktop?

@just From which catalog am I supposed to make links so that I could have shortcuts on the desktop?

It doesn’t matter, from everywhere. Everything you can see in Nemo may be linked to desktop (creating shortcuts) with drag&drop + Alt key method.

• @just I know that i can make link to everything, but now I’m asking about shortcuts to programs. In which catalogs are there files to make links on desktop? I have tried right-click on the desktop to make shortcuts and this is working, but all icons look the same and it is pretty useless for me, because I have always many icons on the desktop…

@just I know that i can make link to everything, but now I’m asking about shortcuts to programs. In which catalogs are there files to make links on desktop?..

The previous question was different from this one.

What you call “programs” are .desktop files. Most of them - practically all - are found in the folder

/usr/share/applications

By linking any file from this folder to the desktop you get a shortcut to launch a program.

icons26 icon29 cinnamon72 enabled1 Posts 10Views 2075