• Can I force Antergos to install in BIOS mode?

Hi there, I’m desperatly trying to install
    Antergos in a laptop beside a Win 7.
    Should be a piece oft cake, BUT:
    It’s an UEFI board. Win is installed in some kind of compatibillity mode with MBR. But the Antergos Live USB is booting in UEFI mode and therefore demanding the creation of a /boot/EFI partition which will lead in a unbootable system. There must be a way because Kubuntu can install and boot on this machine. Grub won’t show win but that could be fixed with grub-customiser. With Antergos I don’t even have a chance to install in BIOS mode.
    Other threads didn’t give me any solution. So I’m quite desperate

• @GuyWithHat
    Iguess you could change the bios settings to LEGACY mode, but I have never used it to dual boot with a UEFI Windows system.
    *Have you checked this tutorial?
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/4689/can-i-force-antergos-to-install-in-bios-mode

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• @GuyWithHat said in Can I force Antergos to install in BIOS mode?:

…With Antergos I don’t even have a chance to install in BIOS mode…

It sounds rather strange. One of computers here has UEFI Bios. I have no Windowz, Only Linux. UEFI is not needed, so the computer boots in Legacy Bios mode, with:

• UEFI disabled
    • SecureBoot disabled

All Antergos releases, including the most recent 2016.06.18, have no problem to boot and install on it.

• I, too, believe that there s dome misunderstanding or miswording here. For instance, if Win is installed in UEFI mode why Antergos installed in the same mode would render it unbootable?
    Or, how can you install Kubuntu set to Legacy and not follow the same method to install whatever other distro

Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500

• @anarch hi, thanks for your reply but you linked to this very post. I don’t think that was intentional.

@just maybe I should have mentioned that the BIOS only allows to enable legacy compatibility no complete disablimg of UEFI

• @anarch no win is not installed UEFI else there where a EFI partition already. Win is imstalled with MBR. But Antergos demands to install with an boot-efi partition. I’d love to do, what kubuntu but it’s automagical installation of Grub didn’t expose his source of fairy dust to me. I can’t setup Antergos partition settings because of the need of that boot partition. I apologize if there was uncertantie.

• @GuyWithHat

@anarch hi, thanks for your reply but you linked to this very post.

Ooops! Sorry about that! Here you go…
    https://antergos.com/wiki/install/how-to-dual-boot-antergos-windows-uefi-expanded-by-linuxhat/

• Yeah had a long read there but my situation is different. Btw Fast and Secureboot are disabled. Typo in last post: was supposed to say :… can’t setup like in Kubuntu install because…

• @GuyWithHat

he BIOS only allows to enable legacy compatibility no complete disablimg of UEFI

Sorry, I have verry little experience with UEFI systems. And, besides that, I have never heard of such BIOS settings (Legacy compatibility instead of disabling UEFI).
    Assuming that Windows was installed this way, have you tried this setting ( enable legacy compatibility) before starting the Antergos installation?.
    Also, it would be helpful if you mentioned the make of your pc/laptop. I bet there are instructions on how to install other OSes alongside your existing ones non automatically.

*** Out of curiosity… Why did you drop the UEFI mode? There are advantages to it. And I m not referring to Windows. I m a sole Linux user since 2011.

• Yeah, weird little creature, isn’t it? HP Compaq 15-a019sg. Bought it without OS, well FreeDOS came with it.
    At the time I didn’t bother and just slapt a win7 onthe thing that I didn’t need anymore. My wife used it at University and didn’t care about Linux.
    So in the end it is my fault that I didn’t properly use UEFI. Maybe it’s most comfortable to just backup Data and reinstall the whole little a**hole. Nevertheless, I wonder if it could be done.

• @GuyWithHat

So in the end it is my fault that I didn’t properly use UEFI. Maybe it’s most comfortable to just backup Data and reinstall the whole little a**hole. Nevertheless, I wonder if it could be done.

I see. Though I believe re-installing Windows in UEFI mode you be the best, I still believe that making the necessary changes to the BIOS the way you did when installed Windows could be a shorter work arount. Have you tried it?

• Yes I enabled the compatibility mode from the first try.

• Just dropping by to tell that I found the grail!
    I booted the little beast with an arch image and entered firmware menuwhich revealed an bootoption I was unaware of. Alt+F9 let me choose to wheter boot the USB in EFI or Legacy mode. Never saw something like this outside of BIOS-setup and with a a combinated keybinding.
    Anyways, thanks for staying with me and trying to help.

bios15 force2 Posts 13Views 2186