• Which Antergos Desktop are you using?

This post is deleted!
  • This post is deleted!
  • I started Antergos with using the Gnome DE, really liked how it looked, but I always felt it was heavy on resources, if I use GDM with wayland. I have 4gigs of ram, and i5 but besides taking up too much memory, I feel it does not release memory when I shut all programs I had open. So after a few hours of uptime, I’d normally be sitting at 1.5Gib.

Also, with too many programs open, for instance: chromium, pdf reader, terminal, empathy and files, it would start to slow down and become jerky. I removed most of the extensions I had installed, but still the same and so I’ve switched over to KDE, and what a relief it is.

While KDE too boots at around 700Gb, (because I have online accounts and korganizer active) and consumes as much memory as Gnome, but it releases memory far more efficiently and never becomes slow, also, KDE is more feature rich and has a workflow system that works for me better. I’m waiting to see what plasma 5.7 is like, I read they’re bringing back the agenda view in the calendar, which is going to be so helpful!! :)

• lets move on @Tamius-Han @Jeannie__ ✋

• @megaman Well that was a tiny bit overzealous, since the first reply was very well on topic. Or are there some new guidelines about referencing layer 8 issues as layer 8 issues?

• @Tamius-Han no rules are being broken but arguing and criticizing is very much off topic so again lets move on 👍

• @anarch said in Which Antergos Desktop are you using?:

@megaman

Budgie. good lightweight DE

I wouldn t consider it as lightweight. It is as minimalistic as Gnome is without its extensions. But I did NOT see any serious change towards system resources consumtion. I uninstalled it before starting loading it with gnome goodies.
    After al…
    “We ship our own desktop, the Budgie Desktop. Unlike some other desktops, this is not a fork, rather it aims for full integration into the GNOME stack. It’s written from scratch, and is specifically designed to cater for the experience Solus is offering. We work with upstream GNOME here as much as we can, contributing fixes, and advocate and support their work.”
    Ikey Doherty, core developer of Solus

guess i was thinking of chromixium which was based on lubuntu. both trying to get that chromeOS look.
    https://cublinux.com/2016/01/17/chromixium-is-evolving-a-cub-is-born/

• 0_1467828941402_Screenshot from 2016-07-06 11-09-53.png

trying out cinnamon for a while. keeping my tint2 bar from openbox :) so far so good. easy to customize and Nemo is a nice file manager. downloaded the linuxmint themes 👍 not a lot of applets to choose from to add to the panel right now because they just updated cinnamon but looking forward to adding some more. they have a basic selection right now. the desktop feels pretty snappy. its pretty much feels and looks like desktop version of gnome 3 👍

• @Jeannie__ a lot of those are outdated though. some are working some dont. if you hit the more info button on them you can see when they were last updated or see the comments of them not working anymore. still plenty to choose from 👍 ive been doing sort by date rather then sort by popularity and finding more working ones that way.

• I stay with Gnome as long there isn’t any more innovating DE that also doesn’t try to look like Windows, Chrome or MacOS.

• I never got the “no desktop icons” idea. The space is there, why not use it?

• @josh.jpenguin said i

I never got the “no desktop icons” idea. The space is there, why not use it?

It s all about personal aesthetics. I, too, want my “wall” clean. Should I need to run anything, it s just a click away, no big deal…

• @josh.jpenguin said in Which Antergos Desktop are you using?:

I never got the “no desktop icons” idea. The space is there, why not use it?

im not a fan of desktop icons myself but i like to have the option to use them if i want

• @Jeannie__ funny, I never paid much attention to desktop. From a GNOME 3 user perspective it’s a hassle having icons on the desktop - they serve no purpose, they are not widgets, and I personally don’t spend time staring at the desktop screen (there are better ways to waste time). Though, I know people who do. Using a mouse to click and start a program or open a file from desktop is slow and annoying. Needless to say, I love GNOME for keyboard centric operation.

However, if you need icons in GNOME, open tweak tool, go to desktop options and enable icons on desktop.

• It’s been a LOT of time since I used desktop icons myself. Having a launch bar makes them useless, and I like a clear desktop, to be honest. 😁

EDIT: ALT+F2 is my best friend.

• Well, I’m not a keyboard person myself, ALT+F2 is the only one I use. And the Dash2Dock plugin solves my no desktop icons setup.

• @Jeannie__ said

I have better things to do than learning dozens of keyboard shortcuts that are required to use the GnomeS-hell.

@karasu said

Having a launch bar makes them useless, and I like a clear desktop, to be honest.

• @Jeannie__ what shall I thing about your learning abilities? :o)

• @Jeannie__ , You overexaggerating things and you know it. What is that you have to learn in this???
    @karasu said

It’s been a LOT of time since I used desktop icons myself. Having a launch bar makes them useless, and I like a clear desktop, to be honest.

There are no good or bad DEs (or no DEs at all). It is all about personal taste and convenience.
    I Know a guy, who s customized his KDE desktop to resemble GNOME because that was the workflow that suited him!!! Am I wrong @MichaelTunnell ? 😝

http://imgur.com/a/9viMg

http://i.imgur.com/hQzrnrg.png

EDIT: My own KDE setup looks a lot like it.

• @Jeannie__ I know! Brain is like a soap, the more you use it the sooner it gets all used up! And why should anyone learn to drive a car if they already know how to ride a bicycle :o)

Joking aside, simple ‘I don’t like the way it looks and feels’ is good enough I guess. It definitely works for me since I do acknowledge that different people have different preferences. Respect to that!

But occasional rant is also appreciated, it simply gives colour to otherwise binary landscape… Cheers!

Posts 317Views 202625
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.