• ISO Refresh 2016.06.18

We are discontinuing the 32bit versions of our install media. This will be the last release that includes 32bit media (for real this time ;-)). This change applies to…

Click here to see the full blog post

• :+1: .

Seeder updated and mirror updating as we speak :).

I7 [email protected]/32GB Ram/3440 x 1440 + 1440p/EVGA 1080 FTW/512GB SSD/2TB HD/Antergos Base w/ Plasma

• I feel bad to insist on asking again, @lots-0-logs , but why have you made the decision to drop 32bit versions? Not interested any more? Lack of time? No demand?
    In my opinion one advantage of Linux is lost, here (or, at least, there will be one choice fewer). The one that allows you to use old/er rig. The one that doesn`t force you to change your computer (unlike Microsoft & Apple).
    Besides, there are less developed, poorer parts of the world, where older machines are sent to be used. And Arch (its Antergos realization) is going to be no choice.
    I really think you, @developers need to think it over.

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• I think this comment over on reddit sums it up nicely. The bottom line is that 32-bit iso downloads account for less than 10% of our total iso downloads and that number gets smaller every day. The amount of effort required to maintain a fully functioning 32-bit installation image is not at all proportional to how much of our user base it benefits. Sorry! :neutral_face:

• I guessed so, Dastin. Sad though it may be…“They Shoot Horses, Don`t They?”

• A movie I liked very much1:+1:

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• I think 32bit support needs to go away for most distros because there are 64bit computers from more than 10 years ago. If someone is using something that old, they should totally invest in new hardware. I understand not wanting to upgrade after only a couple of years but once hardware hits a decade, it’s time to upgrade.

Personal: http://michaeltunnell.com
    Business: http://visuex.com

• @MichaelTunnell you only think about the hardware that is available for YOU but there is millions of devices that ship with less than 4 GB in other countrys . given the point that most people in poorer countries have no clue how to setup a linux machine . the catch phrase “for everyone” does not hold up .

• you only think about the hardware that is available for YOU

Make assumptions without knowing what I’m actually thinking.

The argument of areas of the world not having access to high end machines is not a good argument because there are old machines that are 64bit. Not all old computers are 32bit. I have a 9 year old laptop that is 64bit. 32bit is becoming less and less important so it’s just getting phased out.

there is millions of devices that ship with less than 4 GB in other countrys

That incorrectly assumes that all 64bit machines are 4GB or more.
    ASUS VivoBook 11.6 inch Intel Quad Core 2GB RAM 64bit Laptop for $200 USD
    Lenovo Laptop 80S60000US Intel Celeron N3050 2 GB RAM 11.6" 64bit for $171 USD
    and on and on.

Chromebooks are also 64bit as well as Raspberry Pi’s.

Personal: http://michaeltunnell.com
    Business: http://visuex.com

• sorry what ??

“there is millions of devices that ship with less than 4 GB in other countrys”
    -That incorrectly assumes that all 64bit machines are 4GB or more… -

…stellar

my point is exactly this !
    machines with 64bit but less than 4Gb ram …
    don’t know how you could twist this but fair enough.

i do understand that if the crew is to small it has to free resources .
    i did look into the conversion of a 64bit install to a 32 bit in the ARCH wiki .
    for everybody is still something else

what the team gives us with antergos is really nice and i embrace it but its definitely not trivial to install nor to get on all kind of platforms .

writing this from a asus x201e … 64bit 2Gb hardsoldered

• Well why not just create a base image for 32bit users? One with just a installer?
    This idea sucks

• @lots.0.logs said in ISO Refresh 2016.06.18:

I think this comment over on reddit sums it up nicely. The bottom line is that 32-bit iso downloads account for less than 10% of our total iso downloads and that number gets smaller every day. The amount of effort required to maintain a fully functioning 32-bit installation image is not at all proportional to how much of our user base it benefits. Sorry! :neutral_face:

Which now takes this distro off my recommended list and into the bad distro category along with openSUSE and PClinux

• @MadmanRB Is there a reason your setup doesn’t support 64bit? The demand for it looking at seeders is pretty low.

I7 [email protected]/32GB Ram/3440 x 1440 + 1440p/EVGA 1080 FTW/512GB SSD/2TB HD/Antergos Base w/ Plasma

• As for the so called “bad distro” label.
    That label is only applicable for @MadmanRB et al .
    It is certainly not applicable globally.
    If not having a 32 bit distro to satisfy them, there are options.

I would suggest to demonstrate some restraint as opposed to going on a paroxysm as evidenced with comments such as " this idea sucks "

Download " antergos-wallpapers-extra " and enjoy community sponsored wallpapers.

Use the "Linux Beginner Search Engine"

https://cse.google.com/cse/home?cx=017607476515012185699:b_owgx6xyi0

• I have run x64 distro on my 2GB RAM netbook without any negative issues, this is the right move for Antergos.

• @Arup-Roy-Chowdhury said in ISO Refresh 2016.06.18:

I have run x64 distro on my 2GB RAM netbook without any negative issues, this is the right move for Antergos.

My system runs Antergos Plasma 5 64-bit with only 2 Gigs of ram and 2 Gigs swap and runs very well, even with Firefox playing videos on youtube and a couple of tabs open, it uses only like 1.1 to 1.3 Gigs!

O/S: Antergos Plasma 5 (KF5) 64-bit
    CPU: Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.6GHz
    GPU: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller
    GPU driver: Mesa DRI Intel® G41
    "If you like Antergos, Please donate!"

• I’m screwed well now… I don’t want to go back to Microsoft…

• im actually surprised to hear a few people speak up that have 32 bit system. i was curious how many on Antergos using 32. @protokol the good news is you can keep your current install as long as you want :+1:

@MadmanRB there is still plenty of 32bit distros out there and probably will be for a long time. doesnt make the 64bit only distros bad.

i can understand the people with 32bit systems not being happy but as Dustin said its a small % of people downloading 32. then you have to think that number is going to keep getting smaller as that hardware dies and it will.

i had pushed for less ISOs a while back. less work for the Antergos DEVS and easier to Torrent the ISOs. in fact @lots-0-logs have you thought about getting it down to just 1 ISO? my idea would be to just use the min.iso and use pictures to on the site to show the different desktops or maybe could somehow add that to the ISO as a slideshow maybe?

1 ISO to rule them all :)

• have you thought about getting it down to just 1 ISO?

I do not know what @lots-0-logs thinks about it, but I think that people like to test our distro before installing, so we must have an iso with a live system on it to attract new users ;)

• @karasu that is true it is nice to test out the distro in live session :+1: but they only get to try 1 desktop is the problem. I wish we could figure out a way people could test drive the other desktops as well :sunglasses:

something like what Ubuntu does
    http://tour.ubuntu.com/

i dont know how complicated that would be to make happen though.

we had this conversation before @karasu i think we had an idea about making youtube videos of the different desktops. that might work also. i just think it would be great to show off all the desktops before people download.

• Mayby researh to use TWM as WM ipv Openbox mayby would it be a smaller foodprint :) on iso level , As Network installer…

But with the fun out, 32bit get phased out even Chrome removed x32bit so it get at the end harder for the x32 users. And to go more a good development for Antergos users, you need to make a step for sure, if the download usage is low for x32, it have no profit to kep it up, you need time to do things that benefits all for sure :)

refresh21 iso47 2016.06.181 Posts 39Views 5098