• Dual Boot Questions

I currently have Windows 10 installed as my main OS on my 250 gb SSD, that SSD has around 70gb of space and I have another 2tb HDD as my main place of storage , can I partition my HDD without losing any files on it or having to format it in anyway , and than setup a dual boot one coming from my SSD and the other from the partition of my HDD? Also if there are any guides on Dual booting this way links would be much appreciated, I have seen people use Grub and EasyBCD and i’m not sure which one fits my situation the best here, i’d like to keep windows just to use for some programs I can’t use on Linux but than switch to this as my main OS for everything else.

• @Bartowski or if i was to buy a new ssd or hdd would i just be able to plug it in install this distro onto that hard drive and configure a dual boot that way?

• Yes, if I have understood you well you want to do the same I have, I have Windows on my SSD, windows is slower, so it needs a faster disk, and Ive created / and /home partitions in my 2TB HDD, the only thing you have to remember is to select the SSD drive to install grub, if the SSD that actually boots now is sda then install boot loader (grub) on sda, if its sdb in sdb, if you use EFI partitions this may change to EFI partition, dont know, I dont use EFI partition.

• @Lancro How would i go about checking if the SSD is in sda , sdb , or EFI? Would that be located in the BIOS? Also when i go to partition my HDD how much space do you recommend for it?

• I suppose you are in windows, to see the partitions right click on my computer, or whatever is called in english, at the file explorer, select administration, and there youll find the disk administrator, it will show you your partitions in all disks, and you will be able to shrink your HDD windows partition without losing data, I would suggest leaving an empty space of 100 GB at your HDD if possible, 20 to 30 GB will go to / partition on antergos setup, at the beggining of free space, same size your ram swap partition at the end of free space, the rest /home partition, NEVER touch NTFS partitions in linux, you can access their data (if windows indexing is off), and write data, but never touch windows partitions on linux, use Windows to work with the windows partition (in this case your HDD one to shrink it) and linux to create or modify your linux partitions, is the safest way to work with them, a Backup is always recomended.

When insstalling Antergos you will be given some choices of installing it, delete all disk and install artengos will be probably the first one, go to the last one to customize your installation, create the partitions for linux in the free space as I told you, you will see all partitions, including windows ones, you will recognize your drives easy, as they are recognized by their name, and you will see the partitions size, the drive with the space you left for linux (I told you 100GB but you can put it of 500 if you want, more space for home) will be the HDD, look at the root name of the drive, it will be sda or sdb, the other drive is the SSD one, install boot loader (grub) in the SSD one, if you arent understanding me just shrink windows partition from windows, boot from antergos usb, and show me a screenshot of the customize partitions screen.

• @Lancro Do you have an app or are you in the Telegram for Antergos where you can help me?

• I use Artegos since yesterday, dont know anything about a telegram, But I used Ubuntu, Mint and Arch, Its always the same in installation

• @Lancro Oh alright Telegram is an app on the phone and you can make a username so people can’t see your phone # but you still can chat , but I just partitioned 250gb’s and disabled fast boot , now what is this UEFI stuff or what should i do next?

• Disable secure boot as well, if you have a partition called Efi partition, you have tu boot your Antergos Pen in UEFI, and install there the boot loader, I think, havent tried with UEFI, if you dont have that partition, just start the Pen Drive normal, and follow my previouss intructions on partitioning the hard drive in the Antergos installer, it will give yyou the option to customize your insstallation, instead of deleting the hard drive and stuff like that, in that window go to your free space created in windows, CREATE -> ext4 -> beggining of free space -> use like /-> size 30720MB and select format, then CREATE -> swap -> end of free space -> [Your RAM]MB, and the last CREATE -> ext4 -> all space left between the previous -> use as /home and format as well, and select the SSD drive to install the boot loader, and continue the installation.

• Do i put the Bootloader on the USB as well? Or at which point do i install grub? Is it after I have installed both the OS’s than i boot back into say windows and Install grub on the SSD?

• The usb is for installing, bootloader at ssd disk, so it detects your windows partition and all boots in order, after installing you will have a menu to select if you start in antergos or windows, the installation of grub is done by the installer not you, you only select where to install it, at the end of the installation of the system the installer will install grub for you and configure it.

• @Lancro Alright so I’m putting Anteregos onto my USB first , than I’ll install Antergos onto that partition I just made , after I have that installed , do I need to put Grub onto another USB and install it somewhere during Boot or i’m missing something haha

• Simply at creating the partitions in Antergos (Like I told you), select the drive you want to install the boot loader into, if sda is the ssd, then sda, if it were sdb, then sdb, and press continue, it will do everything for you, when it finish reboot the system without the usb stick, and to create the usb to install the system in windows you will need some software, like pendrivelinux or unetbooting

• But what i’m asking is where does it come from? Do i got to Grub’s website and download and install it? Or with installing Antergos does it just have Grub automatically, I don’t know where Grub is coming into the equation , you said “it will be sda or sdb, the other drive is the SSD one, install boot loader (grub) in the SSD one” , but where is this coming from? I just don’t wanna mess anything up.

• Its in the installation media, you dont have to download anything else, only de iso to burn the USB, and follow instructions, just tell the installer to INSTALL the BOOTLOADER in the SSD DISK (It can be named sda or sdb, look at the names), you havent even tried to do it, you cant imagine an installation, try it, and then ask if you had any issue, but at least try it.

• Alright will do! Just waiting on a download to finish on my PC i’ll update this post later today and if your around in the next few hours or so will see what we can do :) , Thanks for the help

• Hi
    As a supplement to the above, and while waiting to download, here s a detailed wiki on UEFI installation
    https://antergos.com/wiki/install/how-to-dual-boot-antergos-windows-uefi-expanded-by-linuxhat/
    You may also find this video tutorial useful. to questions you ve had.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXBfzTzOW5c
    Please bear in mind that Antergos makes the installation of Arch Linux easy. But after that it is…Arch, meaning you should have some good Linux experience. If for any reason you don t feel competend to handle it, I wouldn t recommend it for you.
    Cheers

EDIT::How to create a working usb
    https://antergos.com/wiki/install/create-a-working-live-usb/

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• @anarch
    I feel like I can handle it I have some Linux experience and the arch way seems to be the right way for me , everything else doesn’t feel right to me , so will Dive in and see how it goes.

• @Bartowski :

so will Dive in and see how it goes.

Go for it, then!:+1:

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• @anarch said in Dual Boot Questions:

@Bartowski :

so will Dive in and see how it goes.

Go for it, then!:+1:

Do you have any tips or anything for my dive :P

dual17 boot165 Posts 47Views 6787