• Mate mint menu not working after Mate 1.14 update

I guess the Linux mint mate menu wasn´t ready for Mate 1.14 :joy:

Antergos Gnome - Lenovo G4070
    Antergos XFCE (Ex-Mate) - Dell D630
    Antergos Cinnamon - Asus E-11
    Puppy Linux Precise 5.7.1 - Asus 701 EEEpc
    Puppy Linux Lxpuptahr USB live - All machines

• Hmm…I completely forgot about mint-menu :sweat_smile: I will have to check on it as I’m not sure its compatible with 1.14 yet :eyes:

• I think they are doing something about the GTK 3 port. I couldn’t make it work :(

https://bitbucket.org/ubuntu-mate/mate-menu/commits/all

• I have this problem too, i found that watching at systemctl:

jun 13 22:03:11 antergos dbus-daemon[684]: Activating service name='org.mate.panel.applet.MintMenuAppletFactory'
    jun 13 22:03:11 antergos org.mate.panel.applet.MintMenuAppletFactory[684]: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gi/overrides/Gtk.py:50: RuntimeWarning: You have imported the Gtk 2.0 module.  Because Gtk 2.0 was not 
    jun 13 22:03:11 antergos org.mate.panel.applet.MintMenuAppletFactory[684]:   warnings.warn(warn_msg, RuntimeWarning)
    jun 13 22:03:11 antergos org.mate.panel.applet.MintMenuAppletFactory[684]: Traceback (most recent call last):
    jun 13 22:03:11 antergos org.mate.panel.applet.MintMenuAppletFactory[684]:   File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/mintMenu.py", line 7, in <module>
    jun 13 22:03:11 antergos org.mate.panel.applet.MintMenuAppletFactory[684]:     from gi.repository import MatePanelApplet
    jun 13 22:03:11 antergos org.mate.panel.applet.MintMenuAppletFactory[684]:   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gi/importer.py", line 140, in load_module
    jun 13 22:03:11 antergos org.mate.panel.applet.MintMenuAppletFactory[684]:     raise ImportError(e)
    jun 13 22:03:11 antergos org.mate.panel.applet.MintMenuAppletFactory[684]: ImportError: Requiring namespace 'Gtk' version '3.0', but '2.0' is already loaded

• I have this problem too. Also I cannot choose the default theme of mate [yellow directories…].

• Me too. Boo Hoo.

I really live by the “Windows-key + type to search” method. :confounded:

Awaiting a fix with some anticipation…

[Was peterg4000 but got sick of that lame user name. And no, the photo is not actually me]

• I’ve installed antergos with mate in virtualbox: there is the mint-menu!
    But my normal (host) antergos still has the problem…??

• @ron said in Mate mint menu not working after Mate 1.14 update:

I’ve installed antergos with mate in virtualbox: there is the mint-menu!

Are you sure the Mate version of the virtualized Antergos is the 1.14?

• Seems like the problem with mint-menu sits in its visibility on the panel. Mate 1.14 adds the applet to the panel, but it is invisible. Thus, unusable.

For example, if three attempts to add mint-menu to the panel were made (apparently without a result), and after that Mate 1.14 was downgraded to 1.12, all three added mint-menu instances appear (and work) on the panel.

If 1.12 is upgraded to 1.14 again, three applets disappear.

To downgrade 1.14 to 1.12:

1. move [antergos] repo to the bottom of repos list
    2. force repos databases update and run a normal upgrade allowing downgrades:
      sudo pacman -Syyuu

To upgrade 1.12 to 1.14:

1. move [antergos] repo to the top of repos list
    2. force repos databases update and run a normal upgrade:
      sudo pacman -Syyu

• I have understood that mint-menu is Linux Mint specific and Ubuntu MATE has made more general version of it known as MATE Menu.

However it seems to be outdated.

aur/mate-menu 5.6.9-1 (12, 2.62)
        Advanced menu for MATE Panel, a fork of MintMenu

• @Mikaela said in Mate mint menu not working after Mate 1.14 update:

I have understood that mint-menu is Linux Mint specific and Ubuntu MATE has made more general version of it known as MATE Menu.

That’s right. But Antergos Mate uses yet another, its own version of the package. It is mate-mint-menu in [anterogs] repo. It is at the same 5.6.9-1 version as aur/mate-menu.

$ pacman -Qi mate-mint-menu
    Name            : mate-mint-menu
    Version         : 5.6.9-1
    Description     : Linux Mint Menu for MATE
    Architecture    : any
    URL             : http://github.com/linuxmint/mintmenu
    Licenses        : GPL2
    Groups          : None
    Provides        : None
    Depends On      : python2-gobject2  python2-xdg  xdg-utils  mozo  mate-panel>=1.8.0  python2-keybinder2  python2-xlib  pygtk  gksu
    Optional Deps   : mate-screensaver: lock screen button [installed]
                      pamac: package manager button [installed]
    Required By     : None
    Optional For    : None
    Conflicts With  : None
    Replaces        : None
    Installed Size  : 2.23 MiB
    Packager        : Antergos Build Server <[email protected]>
    Build Date      : Sun 22 May 2016 13:47:39 MSK
    Install Date    : Wed 15 Jun 2016 12:30:14 MSK
    Install Reason  : Explicitly installed
    Install Script  : Yes
    Validated By    : SHA-256 Sum
    $

• @Caiosama205 said in Mate mint menu not working after Mate 1.14 update:

@ron said in Mate mint menu not working after Mate 1.14 update:

I’ve installed antergos with mate in virtualbox: there is the mint-menu!

Are you sure the Mate version of the virtualized Antergos is the 1.14?

Oh, you’re right. I’ve installed a fresh version, so I thought it’s the newest mate version.
    In fact it’s 1.12.1

• mint-menu is not yet compatible with MATE 1.14 and from what I can tell making it compatible is not going to be a trivial task. We’ll have to wait for the guys at linux mint to update it because I just do not have the time to do it. Sorry!

• No big deal, i can wait.

• someone tried with Mate-menu ? Mate-menu is a fork of Mint-Menu, but is made for ubuntu-mate…

?

• Anyone have a fix on this? I want to do a fresh install with Mate, but its not working.

I make things work…
    My humble wiki: https://anotherlinux.com/

• @just - So I have followed your instructions above to downgrade to 1.12.
    Worked a treat, thank you.

But does that mean I can’t/shouldn’t take ANY updates that the pamac desktop updater now suggests?

I’m a bit unclear how the pamac updates work, and what are the ongoing ramifications of your instructions above.

I guess this is the ‘breaking changes’ everyone talks about on a rolling release model, and my smooth sailing is over.
    A big boo hoo from me on that… I suppose it is a minor break in the grand scheme of everyone.
    But as I said above - My workflow can’t survive without the “Meta key, type-some-chars” mechanism. So I ain’t moving off 1.12 for a while it seems… (Based on comment from @lots.0.logs)

[Was peterg4000 but got sick of that lame user name. And no, the photo is not actually me]

• @peterg4000 said in Mate mint menu not working after Mate 1.14 update:

@just - So I have followed your instructions above to downgrade to 1.12.
    Worked a treat, thank you.

But does that mean I can’t/shouldn’t take ANY updates that the pamac desktop updater now suggests?

Absolutely not! Continue to work as you always did - accept and install all upgrades pacman proposes, without any exception.

I’m a bit unclear how the pamac updates work, and what are the ongoing ramifications of your instructions above.

It’s easy to understand how pacman decides which package to install:

• if a package exists in only one repo, and its version in the repo is higher then those of local package, then the local package will be upgraded

• if a package, with the same name, exists in two or more repos, then pacman chooses the package from the repo with the highest priority, independently from package versions in other repos. And confronts it against the local package. Again, if the version of a chosen package is higher then those of the local package, the latter will be upgraded.

This is the case with Mate 1.12 in Arch and Mate 1.14 in Antergos now. And also with Arch-Cinnamon and Antergos-Cinnamon.

Both DEs have some packages with identical names in Arch [community] repo and Antergos [antergos] repo. From which repo pacman chooses the packages to confront with local ones?

• if the [community] repo is above the [antergos] one, then pacman uses [community]. Even though [antergos] has higher packages versions. There’s Mate 1.12 in [community]. Pacman will happily continue to upgrade Mate 1.12.

• if the [antergos] repo is above the [community], then pacman uses [antergos]. There’s Mate 1.14 in [antergos]. Pacman will happily continue to upgrade Mate 1.14.

I guess this is the ‘breaking changes’ everyone talks about on a rolling release model, and my smooth sailing is over.

No, it is not. It doesn’t break anything. At least, for now. That is why it is so easy to switch forth and back with Mate in Antergos, for the moment. Just stick with your preferred choice - either with Arch-Mate-1.12 or with Antergos-Mate-1.14 - and go ahead with it.

Personally, I keep Production and Testing environments. Separated one from another. In Production I’ve downgraded to 1.12 and proceed with it. In Testing I go ahead with 1.14. Will wait and see what’s happen.

A big boo hoo from me on that… I suppose it is a minor break in the grand scheme of everyone.
    But as I said above - My workflow can’t survive without the “Meta key, type-some-chars” mechanism. So I ain’t moving off 1.12 for a while

Good choice.

• Mate-menu 5.6.9 does not work in Mate-GTK3. But Mate-menu 16.10.1 already ported to GTK3 and it can be used in the Mate-GTK3
    Sources - https://bitbucket.org/ubuntu-mate/mate-menu/src

• sound weird do someone know if whiskermenu works in mate 1.14?

mint3 mate43 menu23 Posts 42Views 7299