• Lightdm won't start after replacing nouveau with proprietary

When I was replacing nouveau with NvIDIA proprietary 96xxx drivers from the city pacman repo I wasn’t able to boot, and when I excluded the quiet boot parameter and added the nomodeset in GRUB I found out that the problem was at LightDM fails to boot and then the boot hangs when reachs target graphical interface. I am able to drop to the terminal but I have some problems with wifi-menu so I can’t use pacman’s packet sync. What shal I do?

• When I was replacing nouveau with NvIDIA proprietary 96xxx drivers from the city pacman repo I wasn’t able to boot, and when I excluded the quiet boot parameter and added the nomodeset in GRUB I found out that the problem was at LightDM fails to boot and then the boot hangs when reachs target graphical interface. I am able to drop to the terminal but I have some problems with wifi-menu so I can’t use pacman’s packet sync. What shal I do?

• Hi,

After dropping to console, check the logs for possible clues as to what’s causing the hang. Without a working internet connection you will need an USB drive to save the logs that way you can use another pc to post them here.

\# Save journal and lightdm logs to USB, adjust mount point accordingly  
    sudo journalctl -b 0 \> /path/to/usb/journal0.log  
    sudo journalctl -b 1 \> /path/to/usb/journal1.log  
    sudo cp -R /var/log/lightdm /path/to/usb/

Cheers!

Posts 3Views 858