• Adding an entry into the Gnome 3 panel

Hi. I have an app that runs directly from a file in the download directory. There’s no entry for it in the Applications. I want to add the app to my left-side panel (favorites). After opening the app, I see it in the favorites panel, but right clicking doesn’t give me the option of pinning it there.

Any thoughts on how I can do this? Thanks.

• @Jeffrey-Needle

• as root, create the .desktop file for your app in the
      /usr/share/applications

folder.
    • the physical file name doesn’t matter; name it as you wish, for example, new-app.desktop
    • what matters, is the value in the Name= instuction in the .desktop file; you’ll see the file with this name in file managers
    • if you name it as Name=My-App with a physical file name new-app.desktop, then in Nautilus you’ll see My-App, not new-app
    • put the command that runs the app in the Exec= instruction; it may be of any complexity
    • put the full path to the icon file you wish to use for the new app into the Icon= instruction; preferably it should be a .png icon

Once the .desktop file is crreated, it will behave as any other standard Gnome app:

• it will be present in Applications Overview
    • it will be possible to add it to Favorites
    • it will be visible in various Gnome Shell menu extensions
    • it will be possible to add it to any dock

Good luck

• Thanks! I’ll give it a go.

• https://developer.gnome.org/integration-guide/stable/desktop-files.html.en

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 18.04 64bit Gnome
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• Thanks to you, too.

gnome317 panel30 adding11 entry7 Posts 5Views 1215
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.