• Adding an entry into the Gnome 3 panel

Hi. I have an app that runs directly from a file in the download directory. There’s no entry for it in the Applications. I want to add the app to my left-side panel (favorites). After opening the app, I see it in the favorites panel, but right clicking doesn’t give me the option of pinning it there.

Any thoughts on how I can do this? Thanks.

• @Jeffrey-Needle

• as root, create the .desktop file for your app in the
      /usr/share/applications

folder.
    • the physical file name doesn’t matter; name it as you wish, for example, new-app.desktop
    • what matters, is the value in the Name= instuction in the .desktop file; you’ll see the file with this name in file managers
    • if you name it as Name=My-App with a physical file name new-app.desktop, then in Nautilus you’ll see My-App, not new-app
    • put the command that runs the app in the Exec= instruction; it may be of any complexity
    • put the full path to the icon file you wish to use for the new app into the Icon= instruction; preferably it should be a .png icon

Once the .desktop file is crreated, it will behave as any other standard Gnome app:

• it will be present in Applications Overview
    • it will be possible to add it to Favorites
    • it will be visible in various Gnome Shell menu extensions
    • it will be possible to add it to any dock

Good luck

• Thanks! I’ll give it a go.

• https://developer.gnome.org/integration-guide/stable/desktop-files.html.en

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• Thanks to you, too.

entry4 adding6 gnome215 panel17 Posts 5Views 541