• Nouveau Driver Issue

Re: Nouveau Driver Issue
    I just got a new system 76 oryx pro with a GTX 980M and a i7-6280hk and i cant get Antergos to boot i tried the uefi work around and when it starts booting i get a nouveau driver error and it then shows the display manager but it is not fully loaded how do i fix this issue

• @Jeannie__ Its whats trying to load when i boot the live disk and then it fails and im not sure what to do?

• @rwoodsmurphy Can you boot with non-free drivers?

• @mikelp1973 I don’t know how to do that with Antergos ?

• @rwoodsmurphy Oh yeah I guess you can’t, I’m sorry I forgot it’s been a while since I did the install. I think you can choose the non-free drivers to be installed only. Manjaro was the one that had that option on boot

• Manjaro was the first distro capable to install proprietary graphic drivers. SolydXK was the second. Antergos is the third:
    0_1465665307620_antergos-tries-to-install-proprietary-drivers.png
    Differently from the first two, Antergos currently can not install drivers for Nvidia Optimus cards. Cnchi does not warn about it. If you choose to install them on Optimus, the system will hang on boot.

Judging from name, GTX 980M is an Optimus card. Proprietary Nvidia drivers for it currently may be installed only by hand.

• So i have to first install Antergos then add the drivers later

• @rwoodsmurphy said in Nouveau Driver Issue:

So i have to first install Antergos then add the drivers later

If the card is Nvidia Optimus, then yes. Install with free drivers. Do not enable (do not select) proprietary Nvidia drivers during install.

Better yet, once the system is installed, make sure that it runs on xf86-video-intel drivers. Uninstall xf86-video-nouveau completely and forget it forever. It is never needed on Optimus.

Don’t be scared. It’s very easy to instal proprietary drivers for Nvidia Optimus.

• Believe me i’ve broke enough os’s to not be scared lol. So after i install the drivers is their any other setup.

• This is my first PC with a dedicated graphics card so i don’t know much about how the graphics drivers work on Linux.

• @rwoodsmurphy I don’t know GTX 980M well. I worked directly with GT 555M, GT 650M, GT 750M only. There are reports about successfull Bumblebee installation on GTX 970M.
    No additional setup is needed after propritary drivers installation on Nvidia Optimus. You’ll find more info in Antergos Wiki here.

Before proceeding, check and double chehk that it’s an Optimus card. Use two commands for it:

lspci -vnn | grep '\''[030[02]]'

and

inxi -Gxx

• This is what i get

[[email protected] ~]$ lspci -vnn | grep ‘’’[030[02]]'
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Skylake Integrated Graphics [8086:191b] (rev 06) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GM204M [GeForce GTX 980M] [10de:1617] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    [[email protected] ~]$ sudo inxi -Gxx
    sudo: inxi: command not found
    [[email protected] ~]$

• OK that good to know. chchi just finished the install i will close the ticket if all goes OK thank you for all your help

• @rwoodsmurphy said in Nouveau Driver Issue:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Skylake Integrated Graphics [8086:191b] (rev 06) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GM204M [GeForce GTX 980M] [10de:1617] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

OK, this is Optimus.

sudo: inxi: command not found
    [[email protected] ~]$

Doesn’t matter. inxi returns the same info in more human-friendly format.

Read Antergos Wiki carefully, make a full system backup with clonezilla or fsarchiver, and, if you wish, proceed with Bumblebee installation.

• chchi keeps crashing right as its about to finish

• This post is deleted!
  • I keep getting error
    "157372" from cnchi I’m not sure if I should make a new thread because this is a separate issue.

• @rwoodsmurphy

Can you post the cnchi log? You can find it in /tmp/cnchi.log

I7 [email protected]/32GB Ram/3440 x 1440 + 1440p/EVGA 1080 FTW/512GB SSD/2TB HD/Antergos Base w/ Plasma

• I will try to recreate it and i will post the log.

• i have the driver issue sorted out so im going to close this. i will post the log in the other thread

nouveau13 driver36 Posts 20Views 1965