• Big problem: can't proceed with installation.

Hi, since it’s impossible to perform an offline installation I cannot proceed because I have no internet connection in my laptop at boot: wifi doesn’t work out of the box in none Linux distribution ever tryed in my laptop. Furthermore I have no possibility where I live to have or find an Ethernet cable.
    However I usually make my wifi working after an offline Distro install adding 2 .bin files to the directory: /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/
    Then after reboot wifi starts to work flawlessly.
    The only thing I need is to add those 2 bin files in the live usb installation media in order to have the wifi connection at boot and proceed with the installation.
    How can I do that?
    Thank tou in advance.
    Simone

• @simo8989 The directory you mention already contains two .bin files in Live Antergos 2016.05.28 64bit session, as well as in the installed system:

[[email protected] ~]$ ls /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw3.0/ -lh
    total 803K
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8.0K Mar 15 09:08 board.bin
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 717K Mar 15 09:08 firmware-4.bin
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  78K Mar 15 09:08 notice_ath10k_firmware-4.txt
    [[email protected] ~]$ 

If, for some reason, two files are missing, copy them by hand from the file I’m trying to attach below (though I’m not sure it will be attached):

[0_1465273287721_ath10k-qca6174-hw3.0.tar.gz](Uploading 100%)

If two files are present but you can’t start the network from GUI, try to start it from the command line. In Terminal enter the command:

sudo wifi-menu

• @just yes the directory contains 2 .bin files that I need to swap in order to make my wifi work. I have not wifi support out of the box even In The newer a kernels yet.
    I don’t think your method works because those .bin files needs to be loaded by the kernel al the startup so if you don’t reboot your system is not going to work.

• @simo8989 said in Big problem: can't proceed with installation.:

@just yes the directory contains 2 .bin files that I need to swap in order to make my wifi work…

I’m unable to follow your explanations, I’m afraid. What does “to swap” mean? Default Antergos’ .bin files don’t work on your hardware? Do you need to substitute them with two other ones? Do you have them?

I don’t think your method works because those .bin files needs to be loaded by the kernel al the startup so if you don’t reboot your system is not going to work.

If you have two substitutive files, why don’t you try to use them? Start the Live session, copy them (as root) to the destination dir, and try to raise Wifi by hand, either from GUI or from CLI. It won’t hurt anything.

Good luck

Edit

BTW, no other distro except Arch has such a powerfull and useful command as wifi-menu. Even in Arch it has arrived only 4 or 5 years ago. If you didn’t use or didn’t install the native Arch recently, you may be unaware of the command’s potential. Try it.

• Thanks but I knew about wifi-menu I have just tryed now and it doesn’t work, the program fails to inizalize the wifi interface.
    For swap I mean simply that I need to cancel everything that is in the directory and copy and paste there 2 .bin files. I tryed as you suggested but it doesn’t work and is impossible to turn up the wifi because you need to reboot before: the kernel needs to be aware of those new files and load them… They are 2 bin files so firmware files. I am 100% sure that if I could reboot it will work, the problem is that it is a live usb, so after reboot every change made is lost.
    So I am asking is it possible to work around the problem, or to save the changes in the antergos live usb?
    Thank you.

• @simo8989 OK, got it now. Thanks.

It’s the 1st time I hear about such a problem. I have no a ready-to-use solution for it. Will let you know if something will come in mind.

Regards

• Thanks @just :) bad problem since I have everything and I can’t proceed installing. It’s impossible to do an offline install that I would of course update with the Internet connection after the first reboot of the system after having pasted the 2 .bin files in the firmware folder.
    So it is a paradox situation… It’s bad that you cannot install offline.

• It could be a good occasion to really learn Arch - by installing it from scratch. Arch installers, including Antergos, don’t offer such a luxury.

Initial steps in Arch installation don’t require an Internet connection at all. The pure bash shell is installed in offline mode. It is possible to boot and use it without the Internet or any DE, as many times as you wish.

At this point you could try to add your .bin files to the system.

During next steps an Internet connection is activated, and one starts to add drivers, packages, DEs.

Just a thought.

• @just said in Big problem: can't proceed with installation.:

It could be a good occasion to really learn Arch - by installing it from scratch. Arch installers, including Antergos, don’t offer such a luxury.

Initial steps in Arch installation don’t require an Internet connection at all. The pure bash shell is installed in offline mode. It is possible to boot and use it without the Internet or any DE, as many times as you wish.

At this point you could try to add your .bin files to the system.

During next steps an Internet connection is activated, and one starts to add drivers, packages, DEs.

Just a thought.

Thank you for the advice, but I am currently writing you form my arch-xfce, I also already run another arch-mate in dual boot. I have never had this kind of problems with arch because for the installation I do exactly as you suggested in your previous post, the thing is that I want to install antergos :) and this is mainly bacause I want to run it in a powerful laptop with nvidia optimus technology, and antergos is so beautiful out of the box with all the drivers and the stuff you need. With arch it will probably take at least 1 week to obtain a similar setup, and making everithing working flawlessly.
    So I think my question now should be changed in: how to make persistent antergos live usb?

installation198 proceed1 Posts 9Views 1532