• TESTERS NEEDED! antergos-repo-priority package

Hi everyone!

We are just about ready to move MATE 1.14 packages into the main antergos repo. However, in order for existing users who installed their systems more than a month ago to receive the updated packages automatically, the priority of the antergos repo must be changed in /etc/pacman.conf. We’ve created a special package to handle this change for those affected users to make it as quick and painless as possible. Though it will still require some manual action from the user.

We would like to have a few people test the new antergos-repo-priority package to ensure everything is okay before we release it to everyone. The package is currently in the antergos-staging repo. If you are not familiar with how to install packages from the staging repo, see this wiki article.

What To Look For:

• After installing the package you should be presented with a desktop notification, a terminal notification, or (most likely) both notifications. Let us know if you do not see any notification.
    • As the notification advises, you should review /etc/pacman.conf.pacnew and verify that everything looks okay before replacing your /etc/pacman.conf with the new version.
    • You can easily identify what was changed in the new file using the diff command in the terminal or if you prefer using a non-terminal diff viewer, here’s a free web application that you can use by simply copy/pasting the contents of both files into the app.

Thanks in advance to anyone who finds the time to test this package for us!

• @lots.0.logs The original repos order in the /etc/pacman.conf was:

• core
    • extra
    • community
    • multilib
    • antergos

After adding [antergos-staging] it becomes:

• antergos-staging
    • core
    • extra
    • community
    • multilib
    • antergos

Installing the antergos-repo-priority goes well. As expected, the main change /etc/pacman.conf.pacnew proposes consists in moving the [antergos] repo to the head of the list.

Other changes have only removed funny comments I’ve made for various settings. Sad, but nothing tragic :) .

Most importanly, /etc/pacman.conf was not damaged in any way and continues to work normally. All user-made changes to it are preserved.

The repos list becomes:

• antergos-staging
    • antergos
    • core
    • extra
    • community
    • multilib

I’m not sure wheter or not Mate 1.14 is ready to be installed from [antergos-staging] . Trying to do it, pacman returns some errors, unknown for me:

error: failed retrieving file 'caja-sendto-1.14.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirrors.antergos.com : Maximum file size exceeded
    warning: failed to retrieve some files
    error: failed retrieving file 'caja-share-1.14.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirrors.antergos.com : Maximum file size exceeded

and also (but it’s not a problem):

error: failed retrieving file 'pamac-4.1.0-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirrors.antergos.com : The requested URL returned error: 404

Will restore the system to the clear Mate 1.12 state now.

With respect

• @just COuld you try to update MATE again from staging? It’s working on my system but I can’t really use that as a reliable indicator because I have so much installed on it that packaging issues are less likely to present themselves :sweat_smile:

• @lots.0.logs said in TESTERS NEEDED! antergos-repo-priority package:

@just COuld you try to update MATE again from staging?..

Yes, sure. Hope to report back in less than 2 hours. Maybe faster.

Regards

• @lots.0.logs Unfortunately, still can’t get a good news. Briefly:

• a mystic Maximum file size exceeded error for two packages is still returned

• the stupid 404 not found error has gone (good)

In details.

• [atergos-testing] repo is added as the very first one to /etc/pacman.conf

• log out and back in for security

• sudo pacman -Syy antergos-repo-priority

• two notification appear, in terminal and in desktop

• moving [antergos] repo by hand under the [atergos-testing], so it became the 2nd repo in the list, as /etc/pacman.conf.pacnew suggests

• logging out and back in again for security

• after every login the desktop notification about 33 (and later 35) available upgrades appears

• will proceed with upgrades now, with repos ordered as

• antergos-staging
      • antergos
      • core
      • extra
      • community
      • multilib
    • sudo pacman -Syu

The full upgrade’s terminal output is pastebined here.

The /etc/pacman.conf used with upgrade is pastebined here.

Unfortunately, nothing changes here. The same two errorrs, as in the 1st test, are still remain:

error: failed retrieving file 'caja-sendto-1.14.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirrors.antergos.com : Maximum file size exceeded
    error: failed retrieving file 'caja-share-1.14.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirrors.antergos.com : Maximum file size exceeded

At least, there’s no stupid 404 error from the 1st test anymore.

I’m sorry.

Regards

• @lots.0.logs More info. If I remove two offending packages (pamac describes them as being GTK2) with

sudo pacman -R caja-sendto caja-share

then the upgrade goes further, but still doesn’t finish because of the checksum error with three packages:

(33/33) checking package integrity                                                   [------------------------------------------------] 100%
    :: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/caja-gksu-1.14.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (checksum)).
    Do you want to delete it? [Y/n] 
    :: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/caja-image-converter-1.14.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (checksum)).
    :: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/caja-open-terminal-1.14.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (checksum)).
    error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package)
    Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
    $ 

I’ve re-confirmed three errors after re-initializing and re-populating archlinux and antergos reyrings, and totally, completely cleanig pacman’s cache from any and all previously downloaded packages, thus forcing it to re-download them again.

Don’t know wheter or not it is relevant for the tests.

WIll leave Mate-1.12 in its current state for a day, if more tests are needed. Then will restore it back to the clean state.

Regards

• Thanks, that is very helpful. I identified an issue with the mirrors which I think was causing the problem here. In about two hours all the mirrors should be updated. Lets wait and see how it goes then. Thanks again for your testing!! :thumbsup:

• Ok, My local time is abouut 15:30 now. Without changing anything in the system and repos list, and crossing the fingers, will retry an upgrade at about 18:30.

Regards

• I just tired installing the antergos-repo-priority package. I received the ATTENTION: warning both through notify and in the terminal.

When I diff’d the pacnew, all the package had done was remove both the antergos-staging and antergos repos from the file

• @ial Could you post a paste2 link for your original pacman.conf?

• This was the diff I got, http://paste2.org/L8OmgeJE

After reinstalling the package it is now working as expected.

This is original pacman.conf, http://paste2.org/GCNn7v2X

If I understand correctly, I had an existing pacman.conf.pacnew from a pacman upgrade this pacnew file had no antergos repos.

Your script, reads this pacnew file if it exists, can’t find any antergos repos and so
    does nothing

self.read_from = self.pmconf_new if os.path.exists(self.pmconf_new) else self.pmconf

I believe this explains my result.

• HI guys,

since yesterday evening i’m without Internet connection. Either Internet cable or router are dead / broken. Don’t know how long it will last. Hopefully, not more than 2 days. I’m very sorry for missing testing reports. All my attempts to revive them are failed. Wacting for technicians visit now. Writing this from my tablet.

Regards and sorry again

• OK, Internet is back here. It was provider’s hardware failure, not mine.

Back to tests. Mate 1.12 has remained unaltered here, with [antergos-testing] and [antergos] at the top of repos list, ready to be upgraded to 1.14.

The full terminal output of the upgrade is pastebined here.

Briefly, the results of the upgrade are:

• all previously reported errors are gone (all are solved)
    • there is one new error - missing signature for three packages
    • so the upgrade can not be completed

Three pkgs with missing signature are:

(34/34) checking package integrity                                                   [------------------------------------------------] 100%
    error: caja-gksu: missing required signature
    error: caja-image-converter: missing required signature
    error: caja-open-terminal: missing required signature
    error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package)
    $ 

Regards

• I’m not sure about “all previously reported errors are solved” anymore. There were 2 mystic Maximum file size exceeded errors previously, related to two GTK2 pkgs:

• caja-sendto
    • caja-share

I’ve unistalled them, to proceed with upgrade. So it doesn’t return an error related to them.

Now, I can not install them back again. Both were / are from [antergos] repo. Both have no signature now, so can’t be installed.

There two their GTK3 counterparts in the [community] repo:

• caja-sendto-gtk3
    • caja-share-gtk3

But installing these two has no sense, because the original system had GTK2 pkgs - and the problems related to them - installed.

• The situation with Mate 1.12 to 1.14 upgrade from [antergos-staging] is much better now.

Results below are obtained by restarting from the clean, well-working Mate 1.12. It was restored from the backup. The system “knows” nothing about 1.14 yet.

Briefly:

• all, repeat, all errors, previously reported in this thread, are solved
    • there’s only one, new error that prevents the upgrade to complete
    • it is related to mate-applets package only
    • if mate-applets is removed, then Mate smoothly upgrades from 1.12 to 1.14

In details

The error, that prevents a smooth upgrade, consists in the fact that pacman finds many mate-applets -related files, already existing in filesystem. A short example:

error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
    mate-applets: /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.mate.panel.applet.NetspeedAppletFactory.service exists in filesystem
    mate-applets: /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/org.mate.panel.applet.netspeed.gschema.xml exists in filesystem
    mate-applets: /usr/share/help/C/mate-netspeed-applet/figures/details.png exists in filesystem
    mate-applets: /usr/share/help/C/mate-netspeed-applet/figures/eth_sum_48.png exists in filesystem
    mate-applets: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/mate-netspeed-applet.png exists in filesystem
    mate-applets: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/mate-netspeed-applet.svg exists in filesystem

The full terminal output of unsuccessfull upgrade is found in Pastebin here.

It’s improbable that a user would like to upgrade without mate-applets. But if the package is removed, the upgrade goes smoothly and terminates successfully.

The full terminal output of mate-applets removal and successfull upgrade is found in Pastebin here.

Go, Dustin, you’re almost there! May the Force be with you :)

Regards

• @Jeannie__ Yes, you’re right. But a user must be able to upgrade smoothly in any case, independently of a specific Mate package, installed or not in his system, right?

• Okay, I fixed the issue with mate-applets. Let me know if you get a chance to test the upgrade from 1.12 to 1.14 again. Thanks!

• @Jeannie__ said in TESTERS NEEDED! antergos-repo-priority package:

mate netsped is a separate package and not part of mate applets.

I didn’t pay enough attention to offending package. As noticed by @Jeannie__ , the offender is mate-netspeed.

I have two packages installed:

• mate-applets
    • mate-netspeed

Removing mate-netspeed only also makes the upgrade to terminate nicely. Mate goes from 1.12 to 1.14.

To summarize. Removing either of two packages makes upgrade to finish.

Just to clear the situation.

Regards

• @lots.0.logs said in TESTERS NEEDED! antergos-repo-priority package:

Okay, I fixed the issue with mate-applets. Let me know if you get a chance to test the upgrade from 1.12 to 1.14 again. Thanks!

Is it possiblr to proceed immediately, or better wait for mirrors sync?

If there will be no answer, then will wait a couple of hours before repeating the test.

• @just Sorry for the delay. Actually, its probably better that you waited at least a few hours anyway :wink:

testers5 needed5 Posts 23Views 3550