• could/should i remove wine?

I keep getting more and bigger updates for wine. I don’t use or intend to use windows programs. I have plenty of space on my hd so that is not an issue. But in the arch way of thinking, why should i have and continue to update a program i don’t intend to use?

So my questions are- Is wine used for anything other than the ability to use windows programs? Can/should i safely remove it? And if so, how best to do so?
    Many thanks!

• Hi
    "Wine (originally an acronym for “Wine Is Not an Emulator”) is a compatibility layer capable of running Windows applications on several POSIX-compliant operating systems, such as Linux, Mac OSX, & BSD. Instead of simulating internal Windows logic like a virtual machine or emulator, Wine translates Windows API calls into POSIX calls on-the-fly, eliminating the performance and memory penalties of other methods and allowing you to cleanly integrate Windows applications into your desktop">
    https://www.winehq.org/
    Feel free to get rid of anything related to…Windows with absolutely no concerns, then…✊🏻

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 18.04 64bit Gnome
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• @billwx sure removing would be no issue. use your software manager if you like.

i agree they update quite a bit and the updates are large.

• You can. Remove via pamac then go to “state” and “orphans” and remove everything that pops up. I have done this without issue. But I also don’t think it being there will hurt either. I just don’t want anyting I don’t use on my computer. For some reason. Part of the reason I quit LMDE. 2100 packages installed, and now I have 836 and I do everything the same. Only more elegant.

• …or, to completely uninstall it together with its dependencies:
    sudo pacman -Rsn wine
    or, to have its cache cleaned, too:
    sudo pacman -Rsnc wine

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 18.04 64bit Gnome
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• Pacman is probably a better way.

wine23 remove21 couldshould1 Posts 6Views 885
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.