• Screen Reader

Greetings All,

I am blind. I cannot get the screen reader to function. It shows in accessibility options and it can be toggled on and off but there is not activity. I tried to install Orca but with the same results. All other audio functions such as MP3, Video or streaming work just fine and when I go to settings to check on the audio it functions well too,giving proper results to the test signals.

I run an older system,a Winfast/Focxcom board with a dual core AMD 64 bit bit processor and on board AC 97 sound chips.

Any ideas on where to go from here? Thanks for all you help in advance,

Brent [/size:1iipjs3x]

• Greetings All,

I am blind. I cannot get the screen reader to function. It shows in accessibility options and it can be toggled on and off but there is not activity. I tried to install Orca but with the same results. All other audio functions such as MP3, Video or streaming work just fine and when I go to settings to check on the audio it functions well too,giving proper results to the test signals.

I run an older system,a Winfast/Focxcom board with a dual core AMD 64 bit bit processor and on board AC 97 sound chips.

Any ideas on where to go from here? Thanks for all you help in advance,

Brent [/size:1iipjs3x]

• Hi,

Try installing the latest version of orca from gnome’s git repository. It might contain bug fixes related to the issue you are having. There is a PKGBUILD available in the AUR called “orca-git” You can use yaourt to install it. Hope that helps!

Best Regards,

• Thanks, I see that but I get an error that says I don’t have a compiler installed. What should I install it correct this?

Brent

• pacman -S base-devel

• As @AJSlye has already pointed out, you need to install the base-devel group like this:

sudo pacman -S base-devel --noconfirm

Afterwards, you can install orca-git with:

yaourt -S orca-git --noconfirm

Cheers!

• Thanks everyone, that did it.
    Brent

• You’re most welcome. We are always glad to help!

Cheers!

Posts 8Views 1335