• PSA: Chrome/Chromium NPAPI Deprecation: April 2014

Just a reminder that Google is moving full steam ahead with plans to drop support for the ancient NPAPI (Netscape Plugin API) in Chrome/Chromium this year. Don’t worry though, this isn’t another Adobe Air scenario where Linux user’s get treated like they don’t exist. Google is not foolish (*cough*Adobe*cough*) plus there’s always that little green robot to consider, right?

What You Need To Know[/color:17s79mh3][/size:17s79mh3]
    [color][size]What is NPAPI?[/size:17s79mh3][/color:17s79mh3]
    The Netscape Plug-in API (NPAPI) ushered in an early era of web innovation by offering the first standard mechanism to extend the browser. But the web has evolved. Today’s browsers are speedier, safer, and more capable than their ancestors. Meanwhile, NPAPI’s 90s-era architecture has become a leading cause of hangs, crashes, security incidents, and code complexity.
    [color][size]Which plugins still use this?[/size:17s79mh3][/color:17s79mh3]
    You’ve heard of a tiny little plugin called Flash, right?
    [list:17s79mh3][*:17s79mh3]Silverlight (15%)[/*:m:17s79mh3]
    [*:17s79mh3]Unity (9.1%)[/*:m:17s79mh3]
    [*:17s79mh3]Google Earth (9.1%)[/*:m:17s79mh3]
    [*:17s79mh3]Java (8.9%) *[/*:m:17s79mh3]
    [*:17s79mh3]Google Talk (8.7%)[/*:m:17s79mh3]
    [*:17s79mh3]Facebook Video (6.0%)[/*:m:17s79mh3][/list:u:17s79mh3]
    Note: Chromium users are not included in the results.
    [color][size]So I won’t be able to use flash anymore?[/size:17s79mh3][/color:17s79mh3]
    The simple answer is that you will still be able to use flash. This is because there are actually two iterations of flash being used in the linux world. There is the old NPAPI based plugin that Adobe stopped new development on in 2012 and then there is the more recent PPAPI plugin which was completely rewritten by Adobe (with a little nudge from Google) and distributed with Chrome directly.
    [color][size]So how do I know which flash plugin I am using?[/size:17s79mh3][/color:17s79mh3]
    If you use Google Chrome then you need not worry about taking any action because you are using the newer plugin. If you are using Chromium and have not manually installed pepper-flash from the AUR then you are most likely using the old plugin. If you are unsure just enter this into your address bar: “Chrome://plugins” . The current version of pepper-flash is v12.0+. The older plugin is still at v11.2.202.
    [color][size]How can I get the newer version that will continue to be supported?[/size:17s79mh3][/color:17s79mh3]
    In the AUR of course! Uninstall “flash-plugin” and install the AUR package:
    https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/chro … flash-dev/
    [color][size]Where can I find out more about all of this?[/size:17s79mh3][/color:17s79mh3]
    [url]Saying Goodbye to Our Old Friend NPAPI[/url:17s79mh3]
    [url]Chromium Dev Group[/url:17s79mh3]
    Cheers![/url][/url][/size][/color][/size][/color][/size][/color][/size][/color][/size][/color][/size][/color]

• Just a reminder that Google is moving full steam ahead with plans to drop support for the ancient NPAPI (Netscape Plugin API) in Chrome/Chromium this year. Don’t worry though, this isn’t another Adobe Air scenario where Linux user’s get treated like they don’t exist. Google is not foolish (*cough*Adobe*cough*) plus there’s always that little green robot to consider, right?

What You Need To Know[/color:17s79mh3][/size:17s79mh3]
    [color][size]What is NPAPI?[/size:17s79mh3][/color:17s79mh3]
    The Netscape Plug-in API (NPAPI) ushered in an early era of web innovation by offering the first standard mechanism to extend the browser. But the web has evolved. Today’s browsers are speedier, safer, and more capable than their ancestors. Meanwhile, NPAPI’s 90s-era architecture has become a leading cause of hangs, crashes, security incidents, and code complexity.
    [color][size]Which plugins still use this?[/size:17s79mh3][/color:17s79mh3]
    You’ve heard of a tiny little plugin called Flash, right?
    [list:17s79mh3][*:17s79mh3]Silverlight (15%)[/*:m:17s79mh3]
    [*:17s79mh3]Unity (9.1%)[/*:m:17s79mh3]
    [*:17s79mh3]Google Earth (9.1%)[/*:m:17s79mh3]
    [*:17s79mh3]Java (8.9%) *[/*:m:17s79mh3]
    [*:17s79mh3]Google Talk (8.7%)[/*:m:17s79mh3]
    [*:17s79mh3]Facebook Video (6.0%)[/*:m:17s79mh3][/list:u:17s79mh3]
    Note: Chromium users are not included in the results.
    [color][size]So I won’t be able to use flash anymore?[/size:17s79mh3][/color:17s79mh3]
    The simple answer is that you will still be able to use flash. This is because there are actually two iterations of flash being used in the linux world. There is the old NPAPI based plugin that Adobe stopped new development on in 2012 and then there is the more recent PPAPI plugin which was completely rewritten by Adobe (with a little nudge from Google) and distributed with Chrome directly.
    [color][size]So how do I know which flash plugin I am using?[/size:17s79mh3][/color:17s79mh3]
    If you use Google Chrome then you need not worry about taking any action because you are using the newer plugin. If you are using Chromium and have not manually installed pepper-flash from the AUR then you are most likely using the old plugin. If you are unsure just enter this into your address bar: “Chrome://plugins” . The current version of pepper-flash is v12.0+. The older plugin is still at v11.2.202.
    [color][size]How can I get the newer version that will continue to be supported?[/size:17s79mh3][/color:17s79mh3]
    In the AUR of course! Uninstall “flash-plugin” and install the AUR package:
    https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/chro … flash-dev/
    [color][size]Where can I find out more about all of this?[/size:17s79mh3][/color:17s79mh3]
    [url]Saying Goodbye to Our Old Friend NPAPI[/url:17s79mh3]
    [url]Chromium Dev Group[/url:17s79mh3]
    Cheers![/url][/url][/size][/color][/size][/color][/size][/color][/size][/color][/size][/color][/size][/color]

• Just tried doing that.

sudo pacman -Sy chromium-pepper-flash-dev  
    :: Synchronizing package databases...  
    core is up to date  
    extra is up to date  
    community is up to date  
    antergos is up to date  
    multilib is up to date  
    error: target not found: chromium-pepper-flash-dev  

also doing for the non-dev didn’t help much.

sudo pacman -Sy chromium-pepper-flash  
    :: Synchronizing package databases...  
    core is up to date  
    extra is up to date  
    community is up to date  
    antergos is up to date  
    multilib is up to date  
    error: target not found: chromium-pepper-flash

I went to the Arch Wiki to read on Chromium as this is what I’m using. I did not see much information at the Wiki there

Download " antergos-wallpapers-extra " and enjoy community sponsored wallpapers.

Use the "Linux Beginner Search Engine"

https://cse.google.com/cse/home?cx=017607476515012185699:b_owgx6xyi0

• Hi Modisc,

Pepper is still in the AUR ([url:2tnygfq7]https://aur.archlinux.org/[/url:2tnygfq7]), so you should use yaourt to install it.

yaourt -S chromium-pepper-flash

Cheers!

• Yes, that was it. I should have thought of it earlier to use yaourt. However, since the install of pepper-flash, is there not a conflict of software within Chromium since Chromium was using NPAPI?

Secondly, do you know off-hand if NPAPI is needed for any of the Chrome store extensions? If not, I take it I should or can delete it. Is that correct because after disabling it inside chrome:plugins, Adobe Flash Player/NPAPI it is still there. Even after restart.

Also, (as a side note) from reading the Arch wiki, it states there that the VLC plugin supposedly is still using this old NPAPI plugin.

VLC Plugin — NPAPI-based plugin that uses VLC technologies.
    [http://git.videolan.org/?p=npapi-vlc.git;a=summary][0]">[http://git.videolan.org/?p=npapi-vlc.git;a=summary][1] || npapi-vlc-git

[url:2h5dljum]https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Browser_plugins[/url:2h5dljum]

Thirdly, after disabling NPAPI in chrome:plugins, does pepper-flash do an automatic recognition of necessary use for Chromium? Or do I need to enable it manually? Because with Chrome, it’s an automatic recognition aside from the direct install of it for that browser.

Thanks again for the quick answer you provided earlier with correct install using yaourt rather than my incorrect install using pacman.

[0]: <a href=
    [1]: http://git.videolan.org/?p=npapi-vlc.git;a=summary

Download " antergos-wallpapers-extra " and enjoy community sponsored wallpapers.

• Wow, I’m sorry but your questions exceed my limited knowledge in this matter

Anyway, I’m sure there is not a conflict of software, if I check Chrome://plugins I only see the PPAPI plugin.

Secondly, do you know off-hand if NPAPI is needed for any of the Chrome store extensions?

I have no idea, really, no idea. Somebody else?

Thirdly, after disabling NPAPI in chrome:plugins

I didn’t have to disable anything here, just installing pepper did the trick.

I hope somebody with more knowledge can bring more light to your questions…

Cheers!

• Hello!

@“Modisc”:tvyg3bwy said:

However, since the install of pepper-flash, is there not a conflict of software within Chromium since Chromium was using NPAPI? [/quote:tvyg3bwy]There won’t be a conflict but there is no reason to have both. The newer plugin is a drop-in replacement for the old. Everything that worked before you switched will work afterwards.
    @“Modisc”:tvyg3bwy said:

Secondly, do you know off-hand if NPAPI is needed for any of the Chrome store extensions?[/quote:tvyg3bwy]No, same as previous [email protected]“Modisc”:tvyg3bwy said:

If not, I take it I should or can delete it. Is that correct because after disabling it inside chrome:plugins, Adobe Flash Player/NPAPI it is still there. Even after restart.[/quote:tvyg3bwy]You are correct, you should uninstall the older version which can be done with “sudo pacman -R flash-plugin”@“karasu”:tvyg3bwy said:

Thirdly, after disabling NPAPI in chrome:plugins, does pepper-flash do an automatic recognition of necessary use for Chromium? Or do I need to enable it manually?[/quote:tvyg3bwy]If you install the updated plugin and uninstall the old version, Chromium will automatically detect the change after you restart your computer.

Hope that helps. Cheers!

• HI. In Chrome:plugins for (Chromium) there is disabled the
    "Adobe Flash Player - Version: 11.2 r202 (Disabled)"
    suggesting that the old flash is still there. Just not currently being used. I can not get videos that use flash to play even after having installed pepper-flash.
    You can see that I had previously tried to install pepper-flash where it says " reinstalling chromium-pepper-flash’ and some subsequent errors following there-after. It does say that pepper-flash is not available for 64 bit. I use 64 bit. So I suppose that pepper-flash is not meant for 64 bit computers, then.

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y  
    (1/1) checking keys in keyring [\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#] 100%  
    (1/1) checking package integrity [\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#] 100%  
    (1/1) loading package files [\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#] 100%  
    (1/1) checking for file conflicts [\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#] 100%  
    (1/1) checking available disk space [\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#] 100%  
    (1/1) reinstalling chromium-pepper-flash [\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#\#] 100%  

==\> Downloading chromium-pepper-flash-armv7h PKGBUILD from AUR...  
    x PKGBUILD  
    x chromium-pepper-flash.install  
    Comment by justin8 (2013-10-20 22:32)  
    Thanks! I'll update the pkgbuild once you send a link to it.  

Comment by justin8 (2013-10-21 00:38)  
    Done! Updated the checksum for the license as well as Google updated it the other week.  

Thanks nekinie!  

Comment by justin8 (2013-10-21 01:00)  
    Sounds good  

Comment by nekinie (2013-10-28 04:54)  
    MD5 of license has changed to ba19ea498f294975d320ff0b26a6cd63  

Comment by justin8 (2013-10-29 03:07)  
    Updated the md5 for chrome's license update.  

chromium-pepper-flash-armv7h 11.7.700.225-4 (Thu Jul 25 05:47:24 MDT 2013)  
    ( Unsupported package: Potentially dangerous ! )  
    ==\> Edit PKGBUILD ? [Y/n] ("A" to abort)  
    ==\> ------------------------------------  
    ==\> n  

==\> chromium-pepper-flash-armv7h dependencies:  
    - chromium (already installed)  

==\> Edit chromium-pepper-flash.install ? [Y/n] ("A" to abort)  
    ==\> ---------------------------------------------------------  
    ==\> n  

==\> Continue building chromium-pepper-flash-armv7h ? [Y/n]  
    ==\> ------------------------------------------------------  
    ==\>   
    ==\> Building and installing package  
    ==\> ERROR: chromium-pepper-flash-armv7h is not available for the 'x86\_64' architecture.  
    Note that many packages may need a line added to their PKGBUILD  
    such as arch=('x86\_64').  
    ==\> ERROR: Makepkg was unable to build chromium-pepper-flash-armv7h.  
    ==\> Restart building chromium-pepper-flash-armv7h ? [y/N]  
    ==\> -----------------------------------------------------

Right now when I try to edit PKGBUILD, you can see how the file looks. I have not edited PKBUILD, but you can see that pepper-flash is meant for 64 bit wherein it states:

arch=(‘i686’ ‘x86_64’)

I am just a tad confused here.

Maintainer: ava1ar <mail(at)ava1ar(dot)info\>  

pkgname=chromium-pepper-flash  
    pkgdesc="Google Chrome's Pepper Flash plugin for Chromium (stable version)"  
    pkgver=12.0.0.44  
    pkgrel=1  
    \_verbld=32.0.1700.107-1  
    \_channel='stable'  
    arch=('i686' 'x86\_64')  
    url="http://www.google.com/chrome"  
    license=('custom:chrome')  
    depends=('chromium')  
    conflicts=('chromium-pepper-flash-dev' 'chromium-pepper-flash-stable')  
    replaces=('chromium-pepper-flash-stable')  
    optdepends=('pulseaudio-alsa: For PulseAudio users')  
    install=chromium-pepper-flash.install  
    source=(license.html::http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/eula\_text.html)  
    sha1sums=('SKIP')  
    if [ "$CARCH" == x86\_64 ]; then  
    source+=(https://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/x86\_64/google-chrome-${\_channel}-${\_verbld}.x86\_64.rpm)  
    sha1sums+=('f2d25e71b66c6c07786d8e37c35ecb9799fd15ef')  
    elif [ "$CARCH" == i686 ]; then  
    source+=(https://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/i386/google-chrome-${\_channel}-${\_verbld}.i386.rpm)  
    sha1sums+=('ae1e903a031ab2f52bf86a3cbb3f8068fcd3b586')  
    fi  

package() {  
    install -d "${pkgdir}/usr/lib/PepperFlash"  
    install -m644 opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/\* "${pkgdir}/usr/lib/PepperFlash"  
    sed -i "s/flashver=.\*/flashver=${pkgver}/" "${startdir}/chromium-pepper-flash.install"  
    install -Dm644 "${srcdir}/license.html" "${pkgdir}/usr/share/licenses/${pkgname}/license.html"  
    }

and Chromium still does not play flash such as from youtube when I have the original flash disabled.

• The package you installed was meant for mobile devices (ARM processors) This is the correct package:

yaourt -S chromium-pepper-flash-stable

Cheers!

• IT is working now. Yes, you are right that I downloaded by mistake the ARM version of pepper-flash. Nevertheless, it’s working well now.

Posts 10Views 1908