• Nautilus freeze when trying to change icon

Hello!

I’m very new to Antergos and Gnome, some months ago I switched from Windows to Linux Mint Cinnamon then openSuse KDE.
    I managed to configure the GNOME Desktop to my needs, the only thing I would like to do is to change the folder icons. Moka is just fine for application icons, but only the folders I would like to have in Adwaita style.
    I tried to do this in nautilus - right click on a folder then on the icon, the file chooser opens up and freezes. For now I just played around with the icon themes themselves, but I would liketo have nautilus working correct. Does anyone know about this issue? Please let me know if you need further details and how to get them, since I don’t know how to get log files and stuff…

• @Brown said in Nautilus freeze when trying to change icon:

…I tried to do this in nautilus - right click on a folder then on the icon, the file chooser opens up and freezes.a

Hmm. Didn’t notice it earlier, but actually Nautilus freezes on File Chooser dialog. The rest of the system continues to work normally. Moreover, it happens not only in Arch, but also in other distros with Gnome 3.20. For example, in Tumbleweed.

I’m unable to use Nautilus (and hate it). Instead, I’m using Nemo as the default file manager in Gnome. Nemo has no such problems, and permits to choose and assign any icon to any folder or item.

Sorry, can’t help you with Nautilus.

• Hmmmm, I don’t like nemo, that much. It’s just a few weeks that I got familiar with nautilus and now I like it’s clean and simple look…
    I will try nemo or some other file manager at least for such actions like changing icons…

Anyways thank you for answering, at least I now that there is nothing wrong with my installation…

• Is there an easy way to revert the changes made with nemo? Just played around to test and screwd it. In my icon theme folder everything is ok, but in nemo and nautilus icons are messed up, some kind of cache file?

• @Brown Honestly, I never mixed icons from different themes using items’ properties in file manager. So I don’t have a ready-to-use advice to give you.

I would try to apply another icon theme with gnome-tweak-tool, and then re-apply Moka again. Hopefully, it will override changes made in file manager and reset all icons to default Moka settings.

• Unfortunately it doesn’t… Let me ask one last question “on this topic”, for my SSD btrfs or ext4? :smile:

…for my SSD btrfs or ext4? :smile:

Persoanlly I use ext4 everywhere - for HDD SSD. USB disks and pens, with or without journal.

As for Btrfs, Red Hat has discontinued its development and consider it as deprecated. It doesn’t mean that Btrfs will die immediately, it will be supported until RHEL 6 EOL, but its usage is not recommended in future RHELs. Michael Larabel talks about it here. I wouldn’t rely too much on Btrfs.

Cheers

• Ok, thank’s again. Had it when I installed openSUSE but when changed to Antergos I switched do ext4 because somewhere I read btrfs is bad for ssds, then yesterday I read about special ssd functions in btrfs…
    For some reasons the times I used Windows where kind of easier :D only one “distribution”, one DE and clearly ntfs as filesystem :D :D :D

Cheers and have a nice weekend

Unfortunately it doesn’t…

I found a (manual, long and tedious) way to reset changed folders icons to their original ones.

1. Don’t use Nautilus. It will freeze.
    2. In Nemo, right click on the folder with modified icon, select Properties
    3. “Properties” dialog opens
    4. Click on the icon, as if you’re going to modify it again
    5. “Select Custom Icon” window opens
    6. In the top right corner of the window there’s [Revert] button
    7. Click it
    8. The icon will be reset to default value

Good luck

• Oh my god, this f*** ‘revert’ button is so huge and I didn’t see it. Maybe I wasn’t expecting it to be so simple…
    Worked like a charm, nemo will stay on my system for special needs 8)

Thank you so much again!

Worked like a charm, nemo will stay on my system for special needs 8)

If you ever wish to use Nemo not for special needs only, but use it as a default file manager, instead of Nautilus, just ask. Gnome will use Nemo in all occasions where it usually was opening Nautilus.

Marking the topic as [Solved].

• @just said in Nautilus freeze when trying to change icon:

As for Btrfs, Red Hat has discontinued its development and consider it as deprecated. It doesn’t mean that Btrfs will die immediately, it will be supported until RHEL 6 EOL, but its usage is not recommended in future RHELs. Michael Larabel talks about it here. I wouldn’t rely too much on Btrfs.

Update: I’ve now been able to confirm with Red Hat that this change affects RHEL6 only and that Btrfs will be supported in RHEL7, still bad wording in the documentation.

• You must to do the dowgrade of nautilus package to version “3.18.5-1-x86_64”. Then all works fine…
    Command is:
    downgrade
    then choose menu number to install version 3.18.5-1

Regards

freeze23 icon23 nautilus17 Posts 13Views 2385