• Desktop PC stops starting X successfully

Hi,

I have a desktop PC with a NVIDIA GTX 570 running the proprietary driver.

A game froze, I had to forcibly shut down the PC. I restarted it, then X started but became extremely unresponsive. I had to shut it down forcibly again. I tried to uninstall the proprietary NVIDIA driver and put Nouveau back but to no avail. Manually running startx says there are no displays connected (despite having 2 working monitors, and the command line looking and working fine).

Now, I’m not able to use KDE at all anymore, only the command line works (through Ctrl+Alt+F1). I tried the fallback mode but it’s stuck at a gray blinking cursor (just like the default X screen is, when using Nouveau).

I did not run any particular update before that issue, so I don’t think there is a regression due to an update.

Is it possible to either reinstall the NVIDIA driver and get it to work, or at least switch to Nouveau in the meantime?

• @Calinou https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA
    Try:

sudo pacman -S xf86-video-nouveau

• @gaim

I have tried this and Nouveau outputs fatal errors (from dmesg). I tried booting the Antergos live ISO (which worked fine on the installation) but it also freezes at graphics initialization.

I suspect a damaged graphics card, although command line still works (and looks) fine.

xorg22 nvidia103 Posts 3Views 386