• Like 1

Where is Mate 1.14?

Mate 1.14 is in the rawhide of Fedora so I’m kind of missing it here. Especially the minor upgrades seems to be great since they tend to enhance performance. Of cause GTK3 integration could pose a problem but since a month has passed I feel inclined to ask?

• Like 1

Thanks for clearing that up. To me Fedora always seemed like such a drag for a private system. It’s too enterprise to be used for a workstation entertainment system. Being Ubuntu mate basically means you’ll always be one version behind with the current release schedule. Hope they’ll find a new developer. The MATE relationship has always seemed odd as MATE was developed by an Arch user in the first place.

• Like 0

@Jeannie__ thats a shame with Mate really doing well. i can understand him being very busy with ubuntu mate. that should be the main distro of ubuntu :+1:

• Like 0

@megaman Don’t think that will ever happen - As said Fedora is already on 1.14 and ahead when it comes to gtk3 - So that’s where MATE gets pushed to the limits. Would be nice to know if you have any plans to port it to Antergos

• Like 0

@Jakob-Greve said in Where is Mate 1.14?:

…As said Fedora is already on 1.14…

Not only in Fedora. It has entered the official Tumbleweed repos the next day after 1.14 has been published. Such a delay is rather unusual for Arch.

• Like 1

I wonder if I will have to build MATE 1.14 from source again, like in the old times, when I compiled MATE 1.2 uby myself cause nbody wanted to maintain and package it at that time or if someone else steps up to replace this guy who seems to have completely lost every interrrest in Arch for being famous? Freindly to his family and friends?
    I’d even be willing to use a 3rd party distro to get MATE 1.14 ( preferrably in GTK2 !!)

Hi,

We don’t have time right now to maintain this, but packaging is not that difficult (as packages are already created, maintaining them shouldn’t be an enormous task), so why don’t step up yourself? You could ask Martin directly for initial guidance (he has been very nice in the past with us).

Cheers!

• Like 1

From what I m reading, the guy is doing an excellent work. His `buntu flavor is characterized as what the stock ubuntu should have been. With hell of a lot of work o progress there, I think it is not fair blaming him that he can t find the time to be the maintainer on other distros at the same time, don t you think?
    It s just human!

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.04 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• Like 0

He…doesn t do his job in Arch? Seriously? Is he hired by Arch and doesn t get paid anymore? Anyway. As said, Linux is freedom of choice. You are always free to dump the current version of Mate as much as they are to set their own priorities and time availability.

Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500

• Like 1

@Jeannie__ i agree on that. if he is suppose to be the package manager for mate and he doesnt manage. he should try to hand the job to someone else.

• Like 0

@anarch I don’t think it’s a valid option to do excellent work in matebuntu. They like to keep things at a very tight lockin. For instance you can’t uninstall galculator if you prefer gnome-calc - That will break the system it’s a calculator! - but they bake everything into dummy packages that breaks the system. So not very nice.

After playing around with ubmate and Fc24 beta you know Antergos/Arch does a way better job at handling things whilst giving the end user the flexibility he may desire.

I wish I could help with my own problem but I really only compiled alsa and xmms in my entire linux existence so I’m not the most skilled builder let alone packager.

• Like 1

@Jakob-Greve

For instance you can’t uninstall galculator if you prefer gnome-calc - That will break the system it’s a calculator! - but they bake everything into dummy packages that breaks the system. So not very nice.

I have got a much worse example than that. In my Gnome system there are some certain pieces of software that need the hebrew language. I only discovered it after trying to clean whatever was not needed and amongst them…hebrew!!!:wedding:

1.141 mate42 Posts 11Views 2295