• AUDIO CONTROLERS... LET'S SETTLE THIS ONCE AND FOR ALL!

Audio controllers. I love them as much as the next tax paying American, but how many is too much?

I started with ALSA, which did everything I needed. Then PulseAudio started knocking on my door constantly like a gung-ho mormon. Every article I read was SO about the Pulse. So, I downloaeded and installed.

It’s been 2 weeks and still, the only thing I have on my Mixer is “Pulse - Master”. Haven’t been able to add anything. I just got the equalizer to kind of…sort of working. .asoundrc is settling down, But I’m still uncertain as to who is using who? Does pulse use ALSA, does ALSA control the hardware? Does anyone do anything?

And now, just to mix up the party, I downloaded Jack 2. So, I’m starting to feel a little over cumbered with software to control a sound card that was working perfectly with NOTHING in Ubuntu. Can anyone tell me if I need all, or any of these programs?

I want to be able to tell ALSA or JACK or P-Sizzle what card to use, what drivers to use, what ports to use, what EVERYTHING to use. I don’t want it to guess. I don’t want it to estimate. No U-dev. No autoloading. I want to rule over the sound kingdom with great impunity. I want to know, line by line, what is happening audio-wise. I know, this will create a whole MESS of problems and I’m going to have to learn ALOT to get this right. “Why would I want to do this to myself?” you might ask. Because if yo’ve read my other posts, I’m obviously insane. Because If I wanted easy and automated, I’d jump on over to the Pirate Bay and download Windows.

Help me out guys, What program(s) do I need to accomplish what I want to do?

• If you don’t need audio processing, forget about jack.

About alsa/pulseaudio, it depends on you. I’m used to pulseaudio, but you have to use mixers that work with it (some old mixers only work with alsa).

By the way, Ubuntu uses pulseaudio.

To control sound output and levels I always use pavucontrol. It just works. Try it.

Cheers!

• @karasu said in AUDIO CONTROLERS... LET'S SETTLE THIS ONCE AND FOR ALL!:

pavucontrol

I recently wrote a support request about audio on this forum. I did a new/clean install of Antergos and am using pavucontrol, but am not able to see any output devices (even after a reboot). I have sound on all applications, but cannot control it using System Settings nor pavucontrol. What can be done?

• @weapong What you are asking is a different from the OP, if running gnome what you want is extension named Laine.

• I appreciate your reply. I am actually running KDE. I have a perfect Antergos install, the only problem “I am not seeing any output devices in System Settings nor in the System Tray. I just have a speaker icon which shows up as being muted.” I have external speakers connected which output sound as well. They just aren’t detected and I cannot control the volume. Any advice would be appreciated.

• @weapong Please start a new thread with your question, you will get much better help that way.

• @anika200 I did create a forum post on this, but didn’t get any response. Please see:

https://forum.antergos.com/topic/4409/audio-playback-is-fine-but-output-devices-don-t-show:

• @anika200 said in AUDIO CONTROLERS... LET'S SETTLE THIS ONCE AND FOR ALL!:

@weapong Please start a new thread with your question, you will get much better help that way.

ay ay ay AY…quit steering customers outta da store :panda_face:

• @weapong

I feel ya. I wish I had some good advice for you, But all I can say is “tinker with it until it breaks, then reinstall”. I have learned to live with the all mighty Master Control. I can’t seem to find a single post or forum that can answer my question. I don’t know how else to word it other than:

You know how when you type in “alsamixer” it pops up to “Pulse Audio” and a single control channel. I DON’T WANT THAT. I want all the goodies in the second output to show up"

I did it…once. I forgot how though, and in trying to decipher it I messed up my audio, forgot to backup my config files, and had to reinstall.

btw I’ve reinstalled twice since posting this. I say that to encourage you to mess with it as much as you can. It’s the only way you’ll ever learn. Oh, and the BEST advice I can give… when you Google an answer, go to “search tools” and hone down your search findings to just last year. That way you’re not inputting code that is irrelevant.

• @karasu said in AUDIO CONTROLERS... LET'S SETTLE THIS ONCE AND FOR ALL!:

If you don’t need audio processing, forget about jack.

I don’t need any of it. I want it. It looks cool.

About alsa/pulseaudio, it depends on you. I’m used to pulseaudio, but you have to use mixers that work with it (some old mixers only work with alsa).

I was using “alsamixer” but I’m steering more towards GUI mixers now. I didn’t realize there were more options out there. Which one do you use?

By the way, Ubuntu uses pulseaudio.

Let’s not go throwing around the “U” word in here.

To control sound output and levels I always use pavucontrol. It just works. Try it.

Pavucontrol has been my savior time and time again. Though I wish there were one place where you could tweak Alsa AND pulse all in one sitting.

audio27 settle1 controlers1 all1 Posts 10Views 1015