• \[SOLVED\] AMD Catalyst issue

Hello all,

I installed Antergos for the first time yesterday. I have been trying today to install AMD catalyst drivers. I have a sony laptop with the radeon 7650 graphics card.

I followed the guide here: [url:2yk8onhn]https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMD_Catalyst[/url:2yk8onhn], downgrading to x113, and installing using catalyst-total from the AUR. I completed all the set up steps.

After installing, everything seemed to have worked. However, I have since found issues, in particular when typing terminal commands in sakura, but also on the internet to a lesser extent. It either takes a while - up to 10 seconds sometimes, for what i am typing to get onto the screen.

Anyone any ideas what i did wrong and how to fix it please?

Thanks a lot.

• Hello all,

I installed Antergos for the first time yesterday. I have been trying today to install AMD catalyst drivers. I have a sony laptop with the radeon 7650 graphics card.

I followed the guide here: [url:2yk8onhn]https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMD_Catalyst[/url:2yk8onhn], downgrading to x113, and installing using catalyst-total from the AUR. I completed all the set up steps.

After installing, everything seemed to have worked. However, I have since found issues, in particular when typing terminal commands in sakura, but also on the internet to a lesser extent. It either takes a while - up to 10 seconds sometimes, for what i am typing to get onto the screen.

Anyone any ideas what i did wrong and how to fix it please?

Thanks a lot.

• The catalyst drivers were dropped from Arch’s official repositories because the overall stability is just not good. For some systems it works fine and others it does not. The open source drivers provide more consistent performance overall. Unless you have a need for a feature they can’t handle or have performance issues , the open source drivers are the recommended choice. I personally never owned an ATI card so I have no useful tricks in this case

• You may also want to make sure that ‘glamor-egl’ is installed. It may or may not be installed, or help even if you do install it (if it’s not).

You can read more about Glamor here:
    [url:1rz3bk0o]http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTE0NDc[/url:1rz3bk0o]

And if it is installed, you might try uninstalling it. More information here as well:
    [url:1rz3bk0o]https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI#Glamor[/url:1rz3bk0o]

I also have one of our boxes with an older ATI card in it and running KDE, and with the same problem as you mentioned. Turning off Desktop Effects has fixed this for now. Alt+Shift+F12 toggles this off and on in KDE.

Finally, as Dustin mentioned and suggested, open source drivers are the best for the moment. Check more on this at Phoronix.

In God's love,
    †MaNNa <{{{\>< …to You all thanks and glory Lord Yeshua!

And Jesus prayed to The Father, "And this is the way to ete…

• thanks for the responses.

I have since posting noticed that catalysis only supports kernel up to 3.11 but I have 3.12 so was thinking a downgrade may also help. Unfortunately I far am too stupid to understand the websites I have read that explain how to do this. I did try for a good couple of hours, but had to give up when my crying started to upset the dog.

I Don’t suppose anyone can give me basic instructions written for a stupid person as to how I get to kernel 3.11? I would be very grateful…

• Hi,

As long as you are NOT using btrfs filesystem then its okay to run an older kernel. The absolute easiest way to do that is to install the Arch LTS kernel:

sudo pacman -S linux-lts-headers --no-confirm && sudo pacman -S linux-lts --no-confirm  
    sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Cheers!

• Thank you very much for all your help.

To confirm what I have done, I changed from openbox to gnome, I downgraded to xorg 113 and downgraded to the lts kernel (3.10),

I have now reinstalled Catalyst and everything works as it should. (fps gone from 60 - 4200 accourding to flxgears)

(It was noconfirm rather that no-confirm that worked for me btw).

Thanks again, liking antergos a lot so far.

Posts 7Views 1093