• How to remove conflict between 90-cursoron.conf and 20-intel.conf

Hi,
    I noticed that the mouse cursor disappears after I unlock Antergos gnome, though the mouse is functional, I just cant see it. I tried this solution:
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/4375/invisible-mouse-cursor-after-sleep-lock?page=1
    But the problem still exists.

#--makes mouse cursor re-appear
    Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Device0"
        Driver      "intel"
        Option      "AccelMethod" "uxa"
        Option      "SWCursor"    "on"
    EndSection
    #--

I created another file to remove screen tearing - 20-intel.conf

Section "Device"
            Identifier      "Intel Graphics"
            Driver          "Intel"
            Option          "TearFree" "true"
            Option          "AccelMethod""sna"
    EndSection

Could both these files be in conflict, I’m a newbie so I’m just guessing. Any help regarding this would really be appreciated!
    Thanks!

• @KabirGandhiok said in Mouse cursor disappears, creating 90-cursoron.conf does not help:

I created another file to remove screen tearing - 20-intel.conf

90-cursoron.conf was created to make mouse cursor reappear - not to remove screen tearing. Its goal is to replace the default sna acceleration method with uxa.

If OP talks about removing screen tearing, then topic’s title doesn’t correspond to its content.

Could both these files be in conflict, I’m a newbie so I’m just guessing.

They would be in conflict, because 20-intel.conf sets sna acceleration method while 90-cursoron.conf sets it to uxa. But 90-cursoron.conf will be interpreted by X after 20-intel.conf - due to files numbering. The latter will initially set AccelMethod to sna, and it will be replaced by uxa llater, by the former.

In 20-intel.conf separate two option’s values

"AccelMethod""sna"

at least by one space:

"AccelMethod" "sna"

If you’re speaking about removing screen tearing, please,adjust topic’s title accordingly.

Cheers

• My bad! This topic is about the mouse cursor disappearing, however when I created this topic I was not sure about both files being in conflict, I only spoke about the 20-intel.conf file to provide more information. I had created the 20-intel.conf file long before I discovered the mouse disappearing problem, and if I change its “AccelMethod” in 20-intel.conf to “uxa” I get screen tearing again. And because of this conflict, 90-cursoron.conf file does not work, so I guess this topic is about how I can get both, no screen tearing and no mouse disappearing, I do appreciate your patience in helping out a newbie.

Thanks!

• @KabirGandhiok said in How to remove conflict between 90-cursoron.conf and 20-intel.conf:

…so I guess this topic is about how I can get both, no screen tearing and no mouse disappearing,…

Two features are not compatible one with another, I’m afraid.

With sna we gain not tearing screen, but mouse disappears.

With uxa we get screen tearing, but mouse doesn’t disappear.

One should choose a preferred solution.

Two conf files are not in “technical” conflict. Rather, they are in “logical” conflict. Both may be present at the same time. The system will not crash. The one with lower file number will be interpreted first. The one with higher number will be interpreted last. The values with the same names in both files will receive the final value from the last file. Other values from the first file will remain unaltered.

• @just Oh well… then I guess I will stick with the no screen tearing option. Thanks for the insight on this.

• @KabirGandhiok BTW, in Plasma it is possible to completely avoid screen tearing even if 90-cursoron.conf (with uxa acceleration) is used.

Just go to

System Settings --> Display and Monitor --> Compositor --> Tearing prevention (“vsync”)

and set it to some value. “Full screen repaints” works perfectly here, and completely excludes any screen tearing.

• @just yeah, I had vsync turned on when I was trying out Plasma 5, but the DE is not to my taste, I much prefer Gnome. Hopefully in future updates this matter is resolved.

Although I prefer using Antergos customized lightdm login screen, when I try changing over to gdm, the mouse cursor does not disappear, but then gdm on my machine takes up a lot more memory than lightdm. Hopefully future lightdm updates would fix this.

Thanks!

disappears4 cursor12 mouse43 creating3 Posts 7Views 1157