• (Un)Installing software per-user

First of all, I’m loving Antergos. That said, I’m currently planning on trying different desktops with a new user created for each desktop. I’m not familiar with using Pacman so is there any way to uninstall and install software on a per-user basis (as opposed to globally)? Thanks in advance.

• @Rusakov said in (Un)Installing software per-user:

…I’m currently planning on trying different desktops with a new user created for each desktop. I’m not familiar with using Pacman so is there any way to uninstall and install software on a per-user basis (as opposed to globally)?..

No, there is not. All packages are installed “globally”. By only one - root - user. Available for all other - regular - users.

To experiment with different DEs it’s wise to follow the good old rule of thumb - one partition, one DE. Create as many small 20 G partitions as you need, and install only one DE per partition. Using the same user for each one. They are totally independent one from another. Ruining one of them doesn’t impact the others.

Placing different DEs in the same partition is the shortest way to mess up the whole system. Creating different users for each of them doesn’t help in any way, and only increase the confusion.

Good luck. Удачи.

• Okay, thanks,

uninstalling1 software5 per-user1 Posts 3Views 389