• How to install applications in Antergos offline from USB key?

At home i have very slow internet, at work very fast so my question:
    How to install, at least first time, applications offline from USB key?
    Can i download an application, put it on a USB key and (at least first time) install it in Antergos without messing up my system?

I have read the possible way to do that with Arch in the Arch Wiki but is there no simpler way to do that (with first installation from a application)?

• @bartatantergos said in How to install applications in Antergos offline from USB key?:

Can i download an application, put it on a USB key and (at least first time) install it in Antergos without messing up my system?..

Yes, you can.

One note though. Strictly speaking, neither Arch nor Antergos know an “applications” entity. Both work exclusively with packages. An “application” may be represented either by only one package or by some dozens of packages. In the latter case, one package may be defined as “main”, and it pulls down, by dependencies, all other needed packages.

If an application is represented by only one package, download it at work onto USB key and, once at home, install it in terminal with

sudo pacman -U /path/to/package/package-name

There’s no need to type in the path and package name by hand. Simply drag&drop the package from file manager into terminal window. Path and name will be entered automagically.

If an application is represented by many packages, you’ll need to download all of them onto USB key. Put all of them into a single directory. The best way to find out all needed packages is to start installing it (but not concluding) with pacman:

sudo pacman -S package-name

Pacman will list all other packages needed to complete the installation. For offline installation you’ll need to download all of them.

Once all needed packages have been collected on the USB key, you proceed exactly the same way as for single-package apps:

sudo pacman -U /path/to/package/main-package-name

In case of multi-package app do NOT install all downloaded packages by hand, one by one. Start with main-package-name. Pacman will look for other packages it needs in the same directory on the key, and will install them automatically.

Good luck.

• Ok, that’s good news and quit easy to do! Thanks, very clear!
    I play/work already since 1996 with Mac’s, so for me this are “applications” but i know this are “packages” in Linux. Why is this offline action on the internet described as difficult to do? Will test and use this soon, if it works i will put this post as solved.

• Does that mean that if I install a package in Live mode, the package will be installed when I install Antergos to hard-disk ?
    (Or maybe I misunderstood and I’m supposed to install these packages from usb after I’ve installed antergos to hard-disk ?)

• yes, you took it wrong (IMO). It’s the latter.

This is about downloading a “package” from arch repositories (or AUR), put it on a USB stick and then install it on Antergos (already on your hard disk) using command line utility “pacman” which would take care of package dependencies also.

• @ahmedossama20 said in How to install applications in Antergos offline from USB key?:

Does that mean that if I install a package in Live mode, the package will be installed when I install Antergos to hard-disk ?..

No, it does not. Everything installed in Live session will be lost after an installation.

As @XoseM correctly says, you should first install Anyergos to hard disk, and only after that start adding to it new packages (applications) from USB key.

A convenient way to add new packages (apps) could be:

1. Start installing a package with pacman at home (slow Internet)
    2. Print or write down the full and exact list of all additional packages pacman needs to install to fulfill an installation
    3. Interrupt the installation (reply n to the question “Proceed with installation?”)
    4. Download all that packages at work (fast Internt)
    5. Install them at home as described above

Bear in mind that Arch is constantly upgraded, at a crazy rhythm. Two or three upgrades in one day is not an exception. If you delay to download and install the list of packages you’ve prepared earlier, it’s more than possible that some of them will be upgraded, and you will need to re-download the newer packages.

• @just: thanks, this does the job well!
    It seems that the most applications in the AUR aren’t not too fast upgraded so till now no problems even if i wait a week.

• @bartatantergos I’m glad you’ve learned the way for offline packages installation in Arch.

Just one note. The above method applies to packages from all Arch repos except AUR.

AUR does not contain any real package. It is not possible to download a package from it, to install it later. AUR contains so called “package builds” - a set of instructions to build a final package (application) on a local computer, usually from source.

In other words, under normal ciecumstances an “oofline installation” is not possible for AUR items. Unless you save a zillion of temporary files download by yaourt while it constructs the final package, and find a way to re-use them on another computer.

Regards

• Yes, wrong me, i mean Arch repos.
    Thanks to your eagle eye!

Posts 9Views 1670