• \[Solved\]Install on 2harddisk?

Hey hello everybody,

I have 2 harddisk. Both are 160GB. I have install already Antergos on 1 harddisk.
    The other harddisk i just get it is empty and i install in my pc.

I was wondering if it is possible to use 2 harddisks? 1 for my root and the other for my home maybe?
    I need more information about this then. How to set up the partition and/or swap for example.

Thanks for your time.

• Hey hello everybody,

I have 2 harddisk. Both are 160GB. I have install already Antergos on 1 harddisk.
    The other harddisk i just get it is empty and i install in my pc.

I was wondering if it is possible to use 2 harddisks? 1 for my root and the other for my home maybe?
    I need more information about this then. How to set up the partition and/or swap for example.

Thanks for your time.

• Absolutely you can use multiple hd’s! Is your new drive a SSD? If yes then I’d recommend using it for root. You can read more about partioning schemes for Arch here: [https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/partitioning][0]">[https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/partitioning][1]

Once you decide your partition scheme, you can create it during installation by selecting “Advanced Mode”. It works very similar to Gparted and is pretty easy to understand. If you have any questions let me know!

Cheers!

[0]: <a href=
    [1]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/partitioning

• Nope i wish it is SDD but both are HDD…lol (both are 160GB and 4GB RAM together)

So for example on sda1 i can make /boot 30GB /root 150GB
    sdb1 i can make /home 156GB and Swap 4GB

ext4 i use also i think? Do i miss something else?

• Maybe it’s time to learn sth new?
    P.S. Next lesson will be software raid + LVM

• @“MichaelTiebesl”:26tzm3am said:

Nope i wish it is SDD but both are HDD…lol (both are 160GB and 4GB RAM together)

So for example on sda1 i can make /boot 30GB /root 150GB
    sdb1 i can make /home 156GB and Swap 4GB

ext4 i use also i think? Do i miss something else?[/quote:26tzm3am]
    You are making your boot partition 30gb? and root 150Gb? i recommend looking into raid set up as well. If you are not interested in that you could do something like:

sda:
    boot 1gb (i use less but up to you)
    / 15-20gb
    /home rest

then use sdb to mount somewhere within your home directory like for media or something.

gmail: [email protected]
    irc: [email protected]

• @“detrimental”:2scl7oyq said:

sda:
    boot 1gb (i use less but up to you)
    / 15-20gb
    /home rest[/quote:2scl7oyq]

I agree that boot doesn’t need more than 500MB-1G certainly. However, you may want to leave a little more for root than 15-20GB. Especially if you were to decide to use btrfs (It doesn’t perform well if filled over 75%). Personally I make my root partitions 50GB, but you have to decide what’s best for your needs.

Cheers!

• @“matt_max”:3lqjx97i said:

Maybe it’s time to learn sth new?
    P.S. Next lesson will be software raid + LVM

I’m interested to install it with Raid.For me option Raid0 is the best. My data is backup and i use my pc most for XBMC and music things.

I already followed your link about the RAID. I was already afraid i would make it in 1 time.
    I followed what is on the site and partition both disc first.
    Boot=1GB
    Root=30GB
    Swap=2.5Gb
    Home=119GB
    i have a rest from 100mb

This i have done for both disc. Then i made :

mdadm --create --verbose --level=0 --metadata=1.2 --chunk=64 --raid-devices=2 /dev/md0 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1

after that:

cat /proc/mdstat

This is the result:

Personalities : [raid0]   
    > md0 : active raid0 sdb1[1] sda1[0]  
    > 2046848 blocks super 1.2 64k chunks  
    >   
    > unused devices: <none\>  
    > 

then:

mdadm --detail --scan \>\> /etc/mdadm.conf

and:

mdadm --assemble --scan

last:

mkfs.ext4 -v -L myarray -m 0.5 -b 4096 -E stride=16,stripe-width=32 /dev/md0

After this i’m lost. I thought i"m done with the RAID and can install Antergos with the CLI Installer.
    But when i follow it i dont know what to do with point 2.
    This is Prepare Hard Drive. What do i have to do there? In Gparted i see also now: /dev/mdOp0 and /dev/sda and /dev/sdb

Off course any help will be appreciated.]0

• Hi,

Since you already completed the partitioning you don’t have to do it again. While following the steps in CLI, after you set the date and timezone you can skip ahead to “Choose Mountpoints”, Let me know how it goes!

Cheers!

• Nope its totally not working. There is also no information, or any documentation on the internet i see.
    Pitty

• Could you provide more details on the problem? Are there any error messages displayed? What steps have you taken. Any screenshots? Sorry about the lack of documentation, we had initially decided to keep offering the CLI only as a backup option while Cnchi was in pre-alpha stages. Since we didin’t intend to maintain it long term, we didn’t devote any resources to documentation. The CLI is nothing more than a modified version of the, now discontinued, AIF (Arch Installation Framework). AIF’s documentation is still available here: [https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AIF_Configuration_File][0]">[https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AI][1] … ation_File Maybe that will help? Let me know what errors you are getting I will try to assist.

Cheers!

[1]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AI

• Thanks for your help Dustin. Appreciate it.

When you can take a look in my previous post then you can see what i have done so far. I think there is already a mistake somewhere.

Is it correct that first you have to partition the both disc first? Like i did. (sda1boot sda2root sda3swap sda4home)
    So i have now sda1 sda2 sd3 and sda4. But what about this then:

mdadm --create --verbose --level=0 --metadata=1.2 --chunk=64 --raid-devices=2 /dev/md0 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1

I only get the /boot part to md0 then. I not can add the other parts like sda2. I think here it already goes wrong.

Thanks

• Is it correct that first you have to partition the both disc first?

Yes. That’s correct. Could you please show us your

fdisk -l

?

• This is what i have done: I also made the flags for all of them in Gparted raid. This for both disc.

Disk /dev/sda: 149.1 GiB, 160040803840 bytes, 312579695 sectors  
    Units: sectors of 1 \* 512 = 512 bytes  
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes  
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes  
    Disklabel type: gpt  
    Disk identifier: FEF53434-4798-42E4-A810-BD14C985F978  

Device Start End Size Type  
    /dev/sda1 2048 1026047 500M Linux RAID  
    /dev/sda2 1026048 31746047 14.7G Linux RAID  
    /dev/sda3 31746048 34818047 1.5G Linux RAID  
    /dev/sda4 34818048 312373247 132.4G Linux RAID  

Disk /dev/sdb: 149.1 GiB, 160041885696 bytes, 312581808 sectors  
    Units: sectors of 1 \* 512 = 512 bytes  
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes  
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes  
    Disklabel type: gpt  
    Disk identifier: 828EE488-9933-4CE6-8462-D74A38725AF0  

Device Start End Size Type  
    /dev/sdb1 2048 1026047 500M Linux RAID  
    /dev/sdb2 1026048 31746047 14.7G Linux RAID  
    /dev/sdb3 31746048 34818047 1.5G Linux RAID  
    /dev/sdb4 34818048 312373247 132.4G Linux RAID  

sda1=boot sda3=swap
    sda2=root sda4=home

This is all i have done until now.

• DISCLAIMER: I have no prior experience with RAID so these recommendations are based on what I would do if I were in your situation. Ultimately, it’s your decision what’s best for you

It looks like you used partition identifiers to create your RAID (sda1) instead of just (sda). So what you have right now is a RAID 0 device (md0) that consists of the two 1GB partions you created for boot. (so md0 is 2GB total). You should format it with ext2 to be used for /boot. Now you need to create RAID’s for your root, home, & swap. From what I can tell from reading various sources, you aren’t losing any performance by having it setup with multiple arrays.(Plus its actually a safer setup in the even of any corruption or disk failures) So to continue from this point:

mdadm --create --verbose --level=0 --metadata=1.2 --chunk=128 --raid-devices=2 /dev/md1 /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2  
    mdadm --create --verbose --level=0 --metadata=1.2 --chunk=128 --raid-devices=2 /dev/md2 /dev/sda3 /dev/sdb3  
    mdadm --create --verbose --level=0 --metadata=1.2 --chunk=512 --raid-devices=2 /dev/md3 /dev/sda4 /dev/sdb4  

mdadm --detail --scan \>\> /etc/mdadm.conf  
    mdadm --assemble --scan  

mkfs.ext4 -v -L MyRoot -m 0.5 -b 4096 -E stride=32,stripe-width=64 /dev/md1  
    mkswap -v -L MySwap /dev/md2  
    mkfs.ext4 -v -L MyHome -m 0.5 -b 4096 -E stride=128,stripe-width=256 /dev/md3

Once that’s done you can run the CLI, set your locale/timezone info and skip ahead to setting mount points where you will set:>/dev/md0 = /boot

/dev/md1 = /
    /dev/md2 = swap
    /dev/md3 = /home

Piece of cake, right?

Cheers!

• In my opinion it’s better to do sth like this:
    /dev/sda1 120M /boot - ext2 part of raid[b:oeqagsik]1[/b:oeqagsik] md0
    /dev/sdb1 120M /boot - ext2 part of raid[b:oeqagsik]1[/b:oeqagsik] md0
    Why RAID1 (mirror)? Because “GRUB does not have RAID drivers”. See [here[/url:oeqagsik]. Set “boot” flag on both.

I donno what is the size of your RAM but if you’ve got >8 GB there is no need to use swap partition. Let’s assume you do not have enough memory then try this:
    /dev/sda2 1GB /swap - part of raid[b:oeqagsik]0[/b:oeqagsik] md1
    /dev/sdb2 1GB /swap - part of raid[b:oeqagsik]0[/b:oeqagsik] md1
    So sda2+sdb2 = 2 GB of swap partition

Next - root partition. We need SPEED and space so let’s make it that way:
    /dev/sda3 10GB / - ext4 (or raiserfs for big files - the choice is yours) part of raid[b:oeqagsik]0[/b:oeqagsik] md2
    /dev/sdb3 10GB / - ext4 (or raiserfs for big files - the choice is yours) part of raid[b:oeqagsik]0[/b:oeqagsik] md2
    So sda3+sdb3 = 20 GB of root partition

At the end we gonna create data partition. I doesn’t have to be /home partition. You can use separate space for your stuff.
    /dev/sda4 rest - ext4, ntfs (whatever) part of raid[b:oeqagsik]0[/b:oeqagsik] md3
    /dev/sdb4 rest - ext4, ntfs (whatever) part of raid[b:oeqagsik]0[/b:oeqagsik] md3
    So sda4+sdb4 = whole lotta space.]0

• Thanks for your help also matt_max
    Specially the RAID1 for the md0

Its easy when you know it.

• Seems to be two different answers to whether or not Grub supports RAID and has drivers for it: [https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#RAID][0]">[https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#RAID][1]

[1]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#RAID

Posts 18Views 2356